lw98089
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey did anyone sit BPT today? How did you find it?
Nathann1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I was resitting - got 54 in December.I thought the first question had some tricky aspects, messed up part 2 and had to make a number up to carry onto the next one.Also didn’t leave myself enough time for the ethics marks at the end, just hope I got to the magical 55
lw98089
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nathann1)
Yeah I was resitting - got 54 in December.I thought the first question had some tricky aspects, messed up part 2 and had to make a number up to carry onto the next one.Also didn’t leave myself enough time for the ethics marks at the end, just hope I got to the magical 55
54 ouch! So close. Yeah I found question 1 really tricky as well, I could do the 3 issues but struggled with the rest of the question, especially the part about raising finance I didn’t know much about that at all. Found question 2 and 3 ok, but not overly confident with my answers. I’ve spoken with a few people who sat and everyone found it really tricky, so hopefully they’ll be lenient marking it.
savvysylvz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also sat it - question 1 was the most difficult, I just copied stuff out of my notes for the raising finance bit, but felt there was a lot to do and slightly overran on time so I didn’t have much time for Q2, Q3 was probably the easiest, but they put the tax evasion bit and ethics annoyingly right at the end, which I reckon would be worth quite a few marks so if you didn’t watch your time, you miss the opportunity of getting those marks.
zachyg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I sat it too. Not an awful paper. Thought question 2 was the worst, mainly the 2nd part around the dude's tax planning scheme - I just couldn't actually see many CGT or IHT implications in there...
savvysylvz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zachyg)
I sat it too. Not an awful paper. Thought question 2 was the worst, mainly the 2nd part around the dude's tax planning scheme - I just couldn't actually see many CGT or IHT implications in there...
I didn’t like Q2 either, did Q3 before I did Q2 - the tax planning scheme through me off too, I included SDLT because it was relevant but I was struggled to put many points relating to IHT and CGT - tried to be generic, didn’t know of the new house he bought would be classed as a GWROB - it was tough can’t lie
B4Acnt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by savvysylvz)
I didn’t like Q2 either, did Q3 before I did Q2 - the tax planning scheme through me off too, I included SDLT because it was relevant but I was struggled to put many points relating to IHT and CGT - tried to be generic, didn’t know of the new house he bought would be classed as a GWROB - it was tough can’t lie
The cash gift and purchase of a house in Q2 fell in scope of POAT (pre-owned asset tax). The annual value of the property (given in Q) would be chargeable to income tax for the lady who’d gifted cash and subsequently received the benefit.

The other tax considerations would have been SDLT as noted, and a PET. Transfer would be exempt from VAT.

There wasn’t too much information on capital gains, but the assumption could be made that the disposal of the original house would be covered by the PRR.
lw98089
Rep:
?
Yeah I wasn’t a fan of that question, seemed pretty heavy for a part 2 of a 30 mark question as part 1 took quite a while to do (for me anyway). I barely had any time to answer it so just copied some lines about the pre owned asset tax charge straight from my kaplan book so probably didn’t do too well on that bit. Did anyone else use Kaplan? I found the mock easier than the actual exam, when the mock is supposed to be harder. I’m praying I’ve passed as I can’t face resitting it, absolute monster of an exam.
savvysylvz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by B4Acnt)
The cash gift and purchase of a house in Q2 fell in scope of POAT (pre-owned asset tax). The annual value of the property (given in Q) would be chargeable to income tax for the lady who’d gifted cash and subsequently received the benefit.

The other tax considerations would have been SDLT as noted, and a PET. Transfer would be exempt from VAT.

There wasn’t too much information on capital gains, but the assumption could be made that the disposal of the original house would be covered by the PRR.
Ah good to know - I put the SDLT part and the PET part down so got some marks - my Q1 and Q3 were better and first part of Q2 so hoping that pulls me through, how did you find it?
savvysylvz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lw98089)
Yeah I wasn’t a fan of that question, seemed pretty heavy for a part 2 of a 30 mark question as part 1 took quite a while to do (for me anyway). I barely had any time to answer it so just copied some lines about the pre owned asset tax charge straight from my kaplan book so probably didn’t do too well on that bit. Did anyone else use Kaplan? I found the mock easier than the actual exam, when the mock is supposed to be harder. I’m praying I’ve passed as I can’t face resitting it, absolute monster of an exam.
A lot of people are saying they didn’t like question 2 so I’m sure that will be reflected in the answers, (here’s me hoping anyway) there’s always some surprises in bpt from what I heard from others so just hoping we are on the right side of 55
B4Acnt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah good to know - I put the SDLT part and the PET part down so got some marks - my Q1 and Q3 were better and first part of Q2 so hoping that pulls me through, how did you find it?
That’s great, will be interesting to see how many marks were allocated to that. I’m guessing around 6-8? I didn’t encounter any POAT arrangements doing question practice.

The absolute faff of actually starting the exam remotely aside, feels like it went quite smoothly. Always difficult to tell though since there are so many overhead marks; so an incomplete answer can easily score 100%.

I definitely was against the clock for Q3 though leaving me with an incomplete ethics answer which was disappointing. As someone said above, a bit cruel from the examiner leaving that to last place!
savvysylvz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by B4Acnt)
That’s great, will be interesting to see how many marks were allocated to that. I’m guessing around 6-8? I didn’t encounter any POAT arrangements doing question practice.

The absolute faff of actually starting the exam remotely aside, feels like it went quite smoothly. Always difficult to tell though since there are so many overhead marks; so an incomplete answer can easily score 100%.

I definitely was against the clock for Q3 though leaving me with an incomplete ethics answer which was disappointing. As someone said above, a bit cruel from the examiner leaving that to last place!
Yes it’s definitely time pressured, everyone I’ve spoken to says it’s one of the most time pressured exams and it’s better to cover all questions then spend time on lots of details on some. I also did Q3 before Q2 so I gave the ethics part a good go but my Q2 could’ve done with another 15 minutes, I think the POAT bit will be about that much too, since there were other taxes to talk about in that part as well as all the majority of the marks probably being in the first part of Q2, but like you said there’s a lot of headroom in the marks, so fingers crossed its the right side of 55.
Last edited by savvysylvz; 1 month ago
Ryanrr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
BPT was tough ngl. I made a decent attempt on every question and managed to nail the ethics and remittance question. So I am hoping that would carry me.

Bit off topic but BST was tough as well. How did everyone else's go? I'll most likely fail although answered 60-65% of each question.

What do yall think? If it was tough for everyone maybe can all wallow in despair together....
zachyg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ryanrr)
BPT was tough ngl. I made a decent attempt on every question and managed to nail the ethics and remittance question. So I am hoping that would carry me.

Bit off topic but BST was tough as well. How did everyone else's go? I'll most likely fail although answered 60-65% of each question.

What do yall think? If it was tough for everyone maybe can all wallow in despair together....
Same here re remittance. I did well on the remittance question in the mock we did the week before the exam, so hoping that makes up for Q2 which I think I botched...
Ryanrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same here re remittance. I did well on the remittance question in the mock we did the week before the exam, so hoping that makes up for Q2 which I think I botched...
Q1 wasnt easy either esp the translation error / IFA / financing. Did you manage to answer those adequately?
How did BST go for you? I found it really tough
zachyg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Q1 wasnt easy either esp the translation error / IFA / financing. Did you manage to answer those adequately?
How did BST go for you? I found it really tough
Yeah Q1 also wasn't fun, there was a lot to do. I think I wrote enough for all the parts. However, whether it was correct / relevant and not just nonsense is a different question! What about you?

Only sat BPT, I've passed all the other professional level exams. Hope BST goes your way!
Ryanrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah Q1 also wasn't fun, there was a lot to do. I think I wrote enough for all the parts. However, whether it was correct / relevant and not just nonsense is a different question! What about you?

Only sat BPT, I've passed all the other professional level exams. Hope BST goes your way!
How did BST go for you if you dont me asking? Did you get more than you expected? I know people who thought they would fail but got 70% smh
Its near impossible to do every question sufiiciently.
I managed to do 60 -65% of every question in the paper as instructed by tutors. Do you think that suffices?

But yeah Q1 in BPT was tough but if you are partially right and make a decent attempt at every question and nail ethics then it should be an easy pass.
zachyg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did BST go for you if you dont me asking? Did you get more than you expected? I know people who thought they would fail but got 70% smh
Its near impossible to do every question sufiiciently.
I managed to do 60 -65% of every question in the paper as instructed by tutors. Do you think that suffices?

But yeah Q1 in BPT was tough but if you are partially right and make a decent attempt at every question and nail ethics then it should be an easy pass.
Yeah BST was a weird one. I sat it at the same time as FAR & TC so barely revised for BST and somehow ended up with 75ish.. I think if you write 'enough' for each question then you will have been fine.
Sd981
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey - what kind of issues did you discuss for the FX item. I think I remember they translated it correctly but wrongly included as trading rather than NTLR as it was for an investment property.
lw98089
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sd981)
Hey - what kind of issues did you discuss for the FX item. I think I remember they translated it correctly but wrongly included as trading rather than NTLR as it was for an investment property.
Hey, yeah it was translated correctly, I also said that it was included in trading but should have been NTLR!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.84%
Uncertainty around my education (412)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (316)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (395)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (127)
4.52%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (171)
6.08%
Loneliness (244)
8.68%
Financial worries (101)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (113)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (151)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (247)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (268)
9.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed