The Student Room Group

mum told me snacking is bad

i’m trying to loose weight atm (parents don’t know), i have a snack 1 or 2 times a day usually something proteiny and/or a fruit. if i didn’t have snacks i’d probably be eating less than 1,200cals. my parents don’t have much knowledge about food or nutrition (i don’t either but it’s clear to me that they have a very distorted view)

but now every time i go to have my snack i feel guilty because of what my mum said like i can literally hear her saying it’s bad for me and it makes me not want to eat it anymore urgh

logically i know snacking isn’t bad, yes sometimes i do snack mindlessly but i’ll be eating a few berries and nuts which is hardly detrimental, my snacks are generally pre planned so that if i feel hungry (and faint) i know exactly what to go for (rather than grab a gazillion bags of crisps like i used to do)
People didn't used to snack. The whole concept hasn't existed that long. If you want to lose weight perhaps consider whether you really need those.
To be honest, it sounds like you’re doing all the right things at the moment. Having a few healthy snacks a day is great as this will help you feel more full, and subsequently reduce the chances of you craving anything less healthy.

One thing that I have found extremely useful when it comes to understanding what you’re putting in your body is an app called MyFitnessPal. The app is pretty self explanatory, and basically just serves as a way of accurately monitoring what you’re consuming.

Something the app offers that just reading the back of packages doesn’t, is the ability to monitor your macros (carbs, proteins and fats). Rather than just counting calories, this feature will allow you to focus on getting a healthy amount of each macronutrient into your body, and a simple google will tell you that for weight loss a 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat split will be optimum.

This will obviously take a few minutes at the end of each meal/snack to note down what you ate, but the app will do this in the most efficient way possible. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
People didn't used to snack. The whole concept hasn't existed that long. If you want to lose weight perhaps consider whether you really need those.

i’ve lost 20kg with snacks so no i don’t need to rethink anything . my snack is like the same amount of calories as my breakfast (100cals) and helps me feel better throughout the day especially before a workout. eating is just eating. thanks tho ur comment made me come to my own conclusion.

Just because people ‘didn’t used to snack’ doesn’t mean that it’s not healthy. People also didn’t used to brush their teeth. Snacking is a positive thing as long as you are aware of what you’re putting into your body, and some people find spreading out the food they consume throughout the day to be a real benefit.
Original post by Anonymous
Just because people ‘didn’t used to snack’ doesn’t mean that it’s not healthy. People also didn’t used to brush their teeth. Snacking is a positive thing as long as you are aware of what you’re putting into your body, and some people find spreading out the food they consume throughout the day to be a real benefit.

The problem there is that, for a lot of people, they don't "spread out the food", snacks are often consumed in addition to meal foods, which is why they can be problematic.
Find a new hobby
Suggestions
Macrame
Toy making
Knitting
Cooking and baking
Painting
French
German
Spanish
Italian
Sewing
Writing
Drawing
Astronomy
Astrology
Sketching
Tree rubbing
Research
Reviewing movies etc
Numerology
Sleeping
Eating
Singing
Talking
The problem there is that, for a lot of people, they don't "spread out the food", snacks are often consumed in addition to meal foods, which is why they can be problematic.

As i said, as long as you are aware of what you’re putting into your body, snacking isn’t a negative thing. This person is clearly managing what they are consuming, so the idea that having some berries or a protein bar in between meals is a bad thing, is just plain wrong.
Original post by Anonymous
As i said, as long as you are aware of what you’re putting into your body, snacking isn’t a negative thing. This person is clearly managing what they are consuming, so the idea that having some berries or a protein bar in between meals is a bad thing, is just plain wrong.

Sure, if you're aware. Problem for a lot of people, they don't really factor in snacks to their daily calories or overeat because they eat those calories as additional to their meals. There's multiple reasons that people nowadays are more likely to be overweight and snacking is one of those. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest