aishwaryajain
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone have a list of med school essentials for Sheffield (or any other uni that might be helpful)?
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aishwaryajain)
Does anyone have a list of med school essentials for Sheffield (or any other uni that might be helpful)?
There's nothing specific that you need. When I was in first year last year, we got a labcoat and dissection kit in freshers week and those were the only things that we were required to get. Sheffield doesn't recommend buying any textbooks as the recommended ones are all available physically in the library and many of them are available in the online library. I would say just wait until you get there before buying anything like that.
aishwaryajain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily5243)
There's nothing specific that you need. When I was in first year last year, we got a labcoat and dissection kit in freshers week and those were the only things that we were required to get. Sheffield doesn't recommend buying any textbooks as the recommended ones are all available physically in the library and many of them are available in the online library. I would say just wait until you get there before buying anything like that.
What about a stethoscope, should I buy it now? Most of my medic friends had to buy it in first year but I've also read that you don’t need it till 3rd year so I'm a bit confused. Also thank you for the advice
lucygb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about a stethoscope, should I buy it now? Most of my medic friends had to buy it in first year but I've also read that you don’t need it till 3rd year so I'm a bit confused. Also thank you for the advice
I think you don’t NEED one until third year because I think that’s when you start doing more of the clinical skills, but my Dad is treating me to one now just because he’s so excited, and I’ll need one eventually anyway! 🥰 but if that wasn’t happening and I couldn’t afford it just yet I would wait until I could, or when I needed one. Just do what you’d like to do, don’t worry about anyone else 🥳
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's absolutely no need for a stethoscope in first year at Sheffield. I'm in second year and I haven't got one yet - I'll get one for when I go into 3rd year and start placement
lucygb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are mature students thinking of doing for accommodation? I've been looking at the 'private' student halls that aren't affiliated with the uni and they are basically the same price, and look a little more modern. I absolutely want to have a good time but I know I don't want to party every night either - anyone in the same sitch? Or am I just boring as hell
chri.sky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lucygb)
What are mature students thinking of doing for accommodation? I've been looking at the 'private' student halls that aren't affiliated with the uni and they are basically the same price, and look a little more modern. I absolutely want to have a good time but I know I don't want to party every night either - anyone in the same sitch? Or am I just boring as hell
I'm looking at halls not affiliated with the school either! There are some great options in the city.
tabbypodger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone have opinions on the best accommodation for medical students? From my research it looks like Enfield is best for me but if anyone has any useful info please let me know
Charcoal1338
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have an offer for deferred entry, does that mean I apply to accommodation this year or next year?
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Charcoal1338)
I have an offer for deferred entry, does that mean I apply to accommodation this year or next year?
Next year, as that is when you will want the accommodation for, but you can apply as soon as it opens (not sure if Sheffield are first come, first served)
Charcoal1338
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Next year, as that is when you will want the accommodation for, but you can apply as soon as it opens (not sure if Sheffield are first come, first served)
Okay, thanks!
YumemiRiamu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's everyone thinking about for accommodation? I have a bit to wait before I can make a decision (still waiting for a response from Leeds ) but I'm torn in terms of what room type I'm most interested in. En-suite is a must but I'm not sure whether I should go basic and save my money or splash out a bit more so I have more room. The double beds are very tempting :lol:
aoifeculkin7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just got my offer a couple days ago and I think I’m going to firm. So excited!!
Ensoetre
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YumemiRiamu)
What's everyone thinking about for accommodation? I have a bit to wait before I can make a decision (still waiting for a response from Leeds ) but I'm torn in terms of what room type I'm most interested in. En-suite is a must but I'm not sure whether I should go basic and save my money or splash out a bit more so I have more room. The double beds are very tempting :lol:
I’m not excited about the wet rooms instead of proper showers 🤣
YumemiRiamu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ensoetre)
I’m not excited about the wet rooms instead of proper showers 🤣
Me neither! :cry:I'm sure I'll adjust but it's gonna be a pain to clean, I hope the water drains properly :crossedf:
Username679
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys! Congratulations on your offers! Just have a quick question about accomodation: Have anyone applied to accomdation yet? If so how did you do it? Thank you in advance
aishwaryajain
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lucygb)
I think you don’t NEED one until third year because I think that’s when you start doing more of the clinical skills, but my Dad is treating me to one now just because he’s so excited, and I’ll need one eventually anyway! 🥰 but if that wasn’t happening and I couldn’t afford it just yet I would wait until I could, or when I needed one. Just do what you’d like to do, don’t worry about anyone else 🥳
I really want to buy one now but I think I'll wait till it's required or I won’t put that thing down 😂 I feel you, I'm on a gap year and I have an unconditional offer so all I have to do from now until September is shop for uni and if I'm not broke already, I will end up broke by September 😂
There's absolutely no need for a stethoscope in first year at Sheffield. I'm in second year and I haven't got one yet - I'll get one for when I go into 3rd year and start placement
That’s good to know, thanks
_lfc_annie_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Username679)
Hi guys! Congratulations on your offers! Just have a quick question about accomodation: Have anyone applied to accomdation yet? If so how did you do it? Thank you in advance
You have to confirm your offer (e.g. firm/insurance) before you apply for accommodation, I opened the 'apply for accommodation' link and it wouldn't work and I haven't firmed yet therefore I didn't have access to the portal even though I have a MUSE account. I assume when you make your decision you will be given access to this portal and you can book accommodation
gradmedica
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the tip! Am coming in to second year via A101 and wasn’t sure whether I’d need one yet
lucygb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chri.sky)
I'm looking at halls not affiliated with the school either! There are some great options in the city.
What have you found that you liked? I actually reserved somewhere yesterday, with a refundable deposit up until 31st May which is good!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (517)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (187)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (224)
5.96%
Loneliness (315)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (213)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (335)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (353)
9.4%

Watched Threads