The Student Room Group

Should it be mandatory to put pupils into sets of ability for most subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euapp
My brother was that unusual student. An IQ over 150 and crushed by the system. At the end he literally was walking into the classroom and climbing out the window!

An IQ with over 150, but disastrous qualities in environments makes that IQ little-to-nothing. If the person can’t use their intelligence to help other people, especially in systematic educational system in UK (which is known to be tough for an average student), they will have to be removed if they choose to be a class clown due to work “being too easy”.
Reply 21
Original post by rola05
when my secondary school started doing mixed ability classes I started to excel in my subjects so I think that mixed ability classes do have some advantages,especially if there are good role models in the class

They can be brilliant if the teacher has the necessary skills to involve everyone, for example getting the high flyers to explain to and help those in difficulty. As in most things it depends on the level of investment of those in positions of authority.
Original post by rola05
when my secondary school started doing mixed ability classes I started to excel in my subjects so I think that mixed ability classes do have some advantages,especially if there are good role models in the class

Mixed abilities in where everybody wants to learn? Sure.

But, this wouldn’t be very good during exam season. You’ll have students falling behind, not being pushed to their capabilities due to the baggage of other low-capable students.
Reply 23
Original post by CaptainDuckie
An IQ with over 150, but disastrous qualities in environments makes that IQ little-to-nothing. If the person can’t use their intelligence to help other people, especially in systematic educational system in UK (which is known to be tough for an average student), they will have to be removed if they choose to be a class clown due to work “being too easy”.

Here speaks the rigid authoritative voice of the British education system. If teachers had taken the effort to ask him to help other kids he wouldn't have been bored brainless. As it was, they left him in the corner to twiddle his thumbs all day!
I agree with what Harrysbar said above, set students for the core maths, english lit/lang, and sciences - maybe not throughout the school, but at least for GCSE.
Original post by Euapp
Here speaks the rigid authoritative voice of the British education system. If teachers had taken the effort to ask him to help other kids he wouldn't have been bored brainless. As it was, they left him in the corner to twiddle his thumbs all day!

Usually if you’re smart enough to realise the work is too easy, the subconscious thing to do would be to offer help whether it be voluntarily or involuntarily.
Reply 26
Usually if you’re smart enough to realise the work is too easy, the subconscious thing to do would be to offer help whether it be voluntarily or involuntarily.

I guess you're not a student or a teacher, or if you are you're lucky enough to be able to open your mouth without being asked to. Because in the vast majority of classrooms it's a question of sit down, don't talk, and definitely don't leave your place unless asked to!
Original post by Euapp
I guess you're not a student or a teacher, or if you are you're lucky enough to be able to open your mouth without being asked to. Because in the vast majority of classrooms it's a question of sit down, don't talk, and definitely don't leave your place unless asked to!

To be honest, my initial argument was obviously there’s no obligation to provide help, however, there is an obligation to not disrupt others.

Is there not?
Original post by Euapp

I am guessing that if your brother struggled hugely with the rigidness of the British education system he will likewise struggle with the rigid constraints of the average workplace. Unless he becomes self employed of course.
Reply 29
Original post by harrysbar
I am guessing that if your brother struggled hugely with the rigidness of the British education system he will likewise struggle with the rigid constraint of average workplace. Unless he becomes self employed of course.

You couldn't be further from the truth!!
Original post by Euapp
You couldn't be further from the truth!!

No, @harrysbar is correct. Jobs normally value people skills over no people skills.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 31
No, @harrysbar is correct. Jobs normally value people skills over no people skills.

How did we go from being a clown to no people skills. His present position depends largely on his huge address book!
Original post by Euapp
How did we go from being a clown to no people skills. His present position depends largely on his huge address book!

The way you described him made him sound different to the average class clown. You made him sound non conformist and incapable of putting up with being bored which is quite a problem in the average workplace
Reply 33
The way you described him made him sound different to the average class clown. You made him sound non conformist and incapable of putting up with being bored which is quite a problem in the average workplace

My fault! Very intelligent but incredibly funny which meant the class was difficult to teach, (and I do feel for the teachers) but he had a huge following! However I maintain if he'd been put to use, rather than left to his own devices he would have been less disruptive. Or as this thread was originally about streaming, if this had been done early on it " might" have helped, although I suspect that even in most top streams he wouldn't really have been stretched. There's a lot to be said for being a hard working just slightly above normal intelligence level kid. Extreme differences at both ends of the spectrum are difficult to handle!
Original post by Euapp
My fault! Very intelligent but incredibly funny which meant the class was difficult to teach, (and I do feel for the teachers) but he had a huge following! However I maintain if he'd been put to use, rather than left to his own devices he would have been less disruptive. Or as this thread was originally about streaming, if this had been done early on it " might" have helped, although I suspect that even in most top streams he wouldn't really have been stretched. There's a lot to be said for being a hard working just slightly above normal intelligence level kid. Extreme differences at both ends of the spectrum are difficult to handle!

Very true

The best place for them is in the corner twiddling their thumbs all day? I only ever experienced a problem with class clowns under certain teachers, i think its almost always a failure on the teachers part to engage.
During online learning one of the good parts was that no one was disruptive lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending