The Student Room Group

University advice

Hey I’m not too sure where else to turn to but I’m planning on starting university this September and I’m quite nervous about it. I do have quite bad anxiety and homesickness and its making me scared to join when I want to be excited for it. The uni I’m planning on attending is only a 3 hour car ride so not too far. I think I’m just really nervous about making friends and fitting in. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice or can help? Would be extremely appreciated!! Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I’m not too sure where else to turn to but I’m planning on starting university this September and I’m quite nervous about it. I do have quite bad anxiety and homesickness and its making me scared to join when I want to be excited for it. The uni I’m planning on attending is only a 3 hour car ride so not too far. I think I’m just really nervous about making friends and fitting in. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice or can help? Would be extremely appreciated!! Thanks

Hey, great to hear your starting uni. my eldest daughter is first year right now and was the same. Remember when you get there, you will all be in the same boat, so you will all be nervous , but yet all eager to make friends, so you will make friends in freshers week and beyond.
One thing my daughter did was go on facebook and join the freshers group page. From there people introduce themselves and ask if theres a whatsapp group/instagram, and then get chatting that way. That was April last year, and she kept perservering and introducing herself to new people who was going to that uni. She made a few friends on line who shes still friends with now and meets up in person for walks (its covid its all she can do atm) but by doing this, she felt much better about starting uni. Also join societies too when you get there, they also help.

Best way for homesickness. your bedroom. Make it your own. You choose your bed sheets, and accessories. Then take little home comforts along with you, be it a picture frame, your jewelery hanger, your ps3, your fave footy shirt.
Little reminders are a nice touch and bring home with you. And dont facetime first week every day. Get stuck in freshers week, and facetime a week later if you can.

Brings sweets/cake/wine on move in day, Always a winner. Pack of cards, card against humanity. When they moved in, they chipped into a disco ball and fairy lights and projector to play movies on which they have in thier kitchen diner. Again a great ice breaker to play movies on netflix and popcorn night on your nights in.
Reply 2
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Hey, great to hear your starting uni. my eldest daughter is first year right now and was the same. Remember when you get there, you will all be in the same boat, so you will all be nervous , but yet all eager to make friends, so you will make friends in freshers week and beyond.
One thing my daughter did was go on facebook and join the freshers group page. From there people introduce themselves and ask if theres a whatsapp group/instagram, and then get chatting that way. That was April last year, and she kept perservering and introducing herself to new people who was going to that uni. She made a few friends on line who shes still friends with now and meets up in person for walks (its covid its all she can do atm) but by doing this, she felt much better about starting uni. Also join societies too when you get there, they also help.

Best way for homesickness. your bedroom. Make it your own. You choose your bed sheets, and accessories. Then take little home comforts along with you, be it a picture frame, your jewelery hanger, your ps3, your fave footy shirt.
Little reminders are a nice touch and bring home with you. And dont facetime first week every day. Get stuck in freshers week, and facetime a week later if you can.

Brings sweets/cake/wine on move in day, Always a winner. Pack of cards, card against humanity. When they moved in, they chipped into a disco ball and fairy lights and projector to play movies on which they have in thier kitchen diner. Again a great ice breaker to play movies on netflix and popcorn night on your nights in.

Thank you so much for the reply, it really means a lot. Its really reassuring that your daughter was the same! These tips are great and I’m actually feeling less stressed. I’ve requested the Facebook chats and commented on a few posts from people who are attending the same uni. I’m excited to decorate my room and like u said bring home with me. Thank you so much for responding it’s really helped!
Thank you so much for the reply, it really means a lot. Its really reassuring that your daughter was the same! These tips are great and I’m actually feeling less stressed. I’ve requested the Facebook chats and commented on a few posts from people who are attending the same uni. I’m excited to decorate my room and like u said bring home with me. Thank you so much for responding it’s really helped!

Welcome. if you do find a good group, zoom/teams is a good way to chat online and see each other all at the same time. Her physics friends did a weekly quiz and took it in turns. They also did an online escape room as well once. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Welcome. if you do find a good group, zoom/teams is a good way to chat online and see each other all at the same time. Her physics friends did a weekly quiz and took it in turns. They also did an online escape room as well once. :smile:

Great! Thanks so much :smile:

Hiya,

Hope you're well :redface:

First off, it's totally natural to feel nervous about starting university - moving away from home to study something new is a big life change, but you can do it!

I definitely recommend joining any university/course/accommodation groups you can find on social media because they're a great way to find people you might get on well with when you arrive.

Also, I know it sounds strange, but take a door stop with you to your accommodation! Whenever you're in your room and you're not concentrating on an assignment/sleeping/on the phone etc., prop your door open. It'll encourage your flatmates to come in for a chat, and, if they've got visitors round, it gives you a chance to get to know them as well!

Join societies, reach out to people on your course, but don't forget to stay in touch with your pals back home too :smile:

Good luck!

Sophie - Student Ambassador
Hi there!

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re feeling like this but I can fully relate to this right before I was starting University!

I also get very homesick and anxious, but have just found that as cringey as it sounds time is the best healer. Yes, at first it will feel super duper weird, and you’ll think ‘have I made the right choice’. But, after a few weeks / months, you get ‘used’ to it. You start making habits for yourself, get into your own routine, and you’ll become much more comfortable with the idea of being at University.
In terms of being nervous about making friends and ‘fitting in’ the truth is that this is everyone’s biggest fear! Everyone is in the same boat, and everyone just wants to get to know one another and make friends. If you’re struggling to get a conversation going, what I like to do is compliment someone on something, and then that often gets the ball rolling 😊

I hope that’s helpful and has eased some worries :biggrin:

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep
Reply 7
Original post by University of Salford Student Rep
Hiya,

Hope you're well :redface:

First off, it's totally natural to feel nervous about starting university - moving away from home to study something new is a big life change, but you can do it!

I definitely recommend joining any university/course/accommodation groups you can find on social media because they're a great way to find people you might get on well with when you arrive.

Also, I know it sounds strange, but take a door stop with you to your accommodation! Whenever you're in your room and you're not concentrating on an assignment/sleeping/on the phone etc., prop your door open. It'll encourage your flatmates to come in for a chat, and, if they've got visitors round, it gives you a chance to get to know them as well!

Join societies, reach out to people on your course, but don't forget to stay in touch with your pals back home too :smile:

Good luck!

Sophie - Student Ambassador

Thank you so much for the reply! It’s rly helped a lot. I recently joined two group chats- one on WhatsApp with quite a lot of people and then a much smaller one on insta with people in my course and similar ones. We’ve talked about meeting up in summer and organising a ft call so we can get to know each other better and honestly it’s helped so so much! It’s made me so excited to join and I’m so happy at how nice everyone is. Didn’t even think about a door stop so I’ll definitely bring one tysm!!
Reply 8
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there!

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re feeling like this but I can fully relate to this right before I was starting University!

I also get very homesick and anxious, but have just found that as cringey as it sounds time is the best healer. Yes, at first it will feel super duper weird, and you’ll think ‘have I made the right choice’. But, after a few weeks / months, you get ‘used’ to it. You start making habits for yourself, get into your own routine, and you’ll become much more comfortable with the idea of being at University.
In terms of being nervous about making friends and ‘fitting in’ the truth is that this is everyone’s biggest fear! Everyone is in the same boat, and everyone just wants to get to know one another and make friends. If you’re struggling to get a conversation going, what I like to do is compliment someone on something, and then that often gets the ball rolling 😊

I hope that’s helpful and has eased some worries :biggrin:

University of Liverpool Rep

Thank you so much for the reply! It’s so reassuring that others get homesickness and anxious. And definitely I’m stressed for the first few weeks like what do I do? Will it be awkward? Will I just want to come home? But reading ur response as made me feel much for calm and relaxed knowing that others are the same! Since I wrote this post I’m now on an insta group chat and we were discussing ft calls and meeting in summer so I’m really happy about that! Ty sm for replying it really means a lot!
Thank you so much for the reply! It’s so reassuring that others get homesickness and anxious. And definitely I’m stressed for the first few weeks like what do I do? Will it be awkward? Will I just want to come home? But reading ur response as made me feel much for calm and relaxed knowing that others are the same! Since I wrote this post I’m now on an insta group chat and we were discussing ft calls and meeting in summer so I’m really happy about that! Ty sm for replying it really means a lot!

Hi!

I'm so glad i've re-assured you to a certain extent haha. I can only speak from my experience, but for the first few weeks it wasn't so much 'awkward' - it was more, 'how am I going to do this on my own!'. But, the best thing I can advise is to just keep busy for the first couple of weeks - throw yourself into anything you can. Then, before you know it you'll be in your own little routine and feel completely comfortable.

Again, very best of luck to you. :biggrin:

University of Liverpool Rep.

Hiya!

Do not feel alone in how you feel, as all students have the same worries when starting uni! :smile: It is a really daunting experience but you can try take comfort in the fact all students will be feeling the same, and that your uni will be there to support you with everything!

1. It can be a really exciting but also daunting experience to suddenly be away from friends and family all of a sudden.
- My biggest tip for being at university is to fully immerse yourself and make the most of meeting new friends and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.
- Keep in contact with friends and family as they will miss you as much as you miss them! Some friends of mine at university facetimed their parents more than once a day, whereas I facetimed my parents once a week. It really varies from person to person, so do what you feel is best.
- I moved to a uni 2 hours away so you can feel happy in that you aren't too far away if you do want to go home for a weekend, or even if you would like your parents to come down for the day to visit you!

2. Homesick/ first few weeks
- In first year during the first few weeks it can be a really odd experience. I can only describe it like being at a PGL weekend with all your friends having fun and you have the expectation that you will be going home soon! I decided to stay at uni for the whole first term and went home at the Christmas holidays. This worked well for me and i'm glad I pushed myself to stay and made the most of it!
- Just do whatever is comfortable for you :smile:

2. There are multiple ways to meet new people and make new friends at uni that don't have to be drinking related.
- There are free tasters and trials for societies in the first few weeks of uni so attend as many or as little as you like and meet new people that way as they already have a similar interest to you!
- I recommend talking to your flatmates and making an effort with them, as they're who you will be spending the majority of your time with! It can seem really odd and a little awkward at first with a bunch of strangers but you have to remember that they are all feeling the same as you and want to make new friends. Asking if you want do your food shop together or even to go to Wilkos, or just to watch a film all together!

3. University is great practice for a working environment.
- There will always be people who are louder, quieter, more socially experienced etc. than yourself but try not to compare yourself to others at uni because its torture! Do what makes you feel comfortable, do try new things because it is the best time to, but remember that every student will have a different uni experience so make the most of you one.

4. I was living with 8 others in my first year which was so daunting!
- But a tip that I found to get to know my flat mates is to have a doorstop. Then you can have an open door policy, so in the first few days where you may be a little shy in making the first step, the door stop can do it for you! You can have your door open and sit and chill in your room and welcome others in to chat whereas when you're wanting alone time and not wanting to talk with others you can have your door shut. (make sure to double check the fire safety standards though, as some doors must stay shut at all times!!!)

Your uni has different teams to help support you such as a well being service and a student housing service. They will always be there to help you :smile:
Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey!

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I’m currently a student at Strathclyde studying on the Diploma program to become a lawyer. I was really nervous before I started my undergrad as I moved away to study and lived three hours from my home city. I was really nervous and homesick too, but once I got there I realised I had nothing to worry about as everyone was feeling the same! I didn’t know anyone on my course but I met lots of people when I got to uni :smile:

There’s lots of ways to make friends at uni either with people on your course, through the societies you join or flatmates if you're staying in halls. Most universities hold freshers events during the first week of the semester. Lots of societies attend freshers week so it's a great way to meet some of their members if you're interested in a particular society! I joined the Women's Gaelic Football team and met lots of new people who are now close friends of mine.

I had an induction the first day of freshers and I was really nervous about going along to it! I met two girls after a tutorial and we went along to all the freshers events that week. We became such good friends that we decided to flat share in second year so you'll never know who you'll meet at uni!

Good luck with your studies :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending