Access Midwifery or Health Professionals

Watch
2twentyseven7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone

I would like to go back to university to study Midwifery. As I have a young child I can’t move to a different area so the university’s local to me who offer this course are UWE and Worcester.

I understand Midwifery is competitive and I might not be accepted on my first try which is why I am thinking of taking the Access Health Professionals course so I may be able to go through clearing for Nursing at Gloucestershire, UWE or Worcester and then go onto take the top up course at Worcester after qualifying and experienced.

My question is would UWE/Worcester accept the Health Professionals access course?
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 2twentyseven7)
Hi everyone

I would like to go back to university to study Midwifery. As I have a young child I can’t move to a different area so the university’s local to me who offer this course are UWE and Worcester.

I understand Midwifery is competitive and I might not be accepted on my first try which is why I am thinking of taking the Access Health Professionals course so I may be able to go through clearing for Nursing at Gloucestershire, UWE or Worcester and then go onto take the top up course at Worcester after qualifying and experienced.

My question is would UWE/Worcester accept the Health Professionals access course?
Hi
I would suggest that you contact your preferred universities to ask them this question as then you'll know if you can or can't use this for acceptance.
Usually a access course will be acceptable but each university actually set there own entry requirements so hence why you should ask them about this so you'll then know what you are doing okay .
Your easiest route to be a midwife would obviously be the 3 years course but yeah its a competertive course.
You mentioned the way you could do this - so doing a adult nursing course will still let you work on a maternity ward as a nurse but you can't obviously deliver babies but everything else you can be involved with.

About the top-up course over 18/20 months ok - majority of universities are now stopping doing this as they wanting everyone who do a nursing course to do the 3 years or so in that particular field of nursing so you may not get opportunity to do the top-up course because of this but you would need to check at the time that universities are still doing this course.

Try for midwifing from the of and see how it goes and then at worst do the adult nursing course.

I'm a NHS Scotland qualified midwife xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads