What Environmental Masters I can do with Computer Science background?

Watch
Magpie:)
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey guys,
I would really appreciate some guidance on the matter.
So I am a second year Computer Science student at QMUL, as it seem from the title I would like to proceed further with studying masters, the thing is I would love to take the knowledge and skills I have now to something that feels meaningful, in particular;

- plastic pollution reduction
- global warming
- hazardous waste
- oceans clean up

I have done some research and found some relevant courses like Environmental Modelling and Environmental Engineering. I do not have environmental course background, but I know CS applicants are welcomed, but for the Environmental Engineering that does not seem likely. I spoke to one of my lecturers and he was very helpful and explained that I can get more credits in my final year and apply for some modules from Engineering and Materials Science, but the problem is that they can only be third year modules and different from the subject I have been studying so far, so I might struggle. Is there any other environment masters I can do with computer science? What can I do in order to help me boost my application? Many thanks in advance and keep safe
Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Magpie:))
Hey guys,
I would really appreciate some guidance on the matter.
So I am a second year Computer Science student at QMUL, as it seem from the title I would like to proceed further with studying masters, the thing is I would love to take the knowledge and skills I have now to something that feels meaningful, in particular;

- plastic pollution reduction
- global warming
- hazardous waste
- oceans clean up

I have done some research and found some relevant courses like Environmental Modelling and Environmental Engineering. I do not have environmental course background, but I know CS applicants are welcomed, but for the Environmental Engineering that does not seem likely. I spoke to one of my lecturers and he was very helpful and explained that I can get more credits in my final year and apply for some modules from Engineering and Materials Science, but the problem is that they can only be third year modules and different from the subject I have been studying so far, so I might struggle. Is there any other environment masters I can do with computer science? What can I do in order to help me boost my application? Many thanks in advance and keep safe
Hi Magpie!

So I don't know how much this might be up your street for the kind of thing you are looking for, but I might recommend looking into GIS (Geographical Infomation Systems) for example, I have a friend currently doing this course at Manchester Uni: MSc Geographical Information Science
GIS as I understand it is computer programming that creates maps, my friend for example looks at flooding. I think that if you did some more digging and maybe even contacted a uni or two you will be able to see if the kind of topics that you are interested in are possible with GIS but I think almost anything can be done using the program. I think this could be promising if you want to work in the Environment and Computer science!

I hope this helps and good luck in your search
All the best
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (92)
57.86%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.32%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.58%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
6.92%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.66%

Watched Threads