MMonteir0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone done the interview for Dundee?

How was it? I have never done a group interview for uni before, only individual ones or group auditions for performing arts degrees.

How is it conducted? Any tips?
youcancallmeAL94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MMonteir0)
Has anyone done the interview for Dundee?

How was it? I have never done a group interview for uni before, only individual ones or group auditions for performing arts degrees.

How is it conducted? Any tips?
Hi,

I had an Primary interview a while back (no news yet so can't tell if you what I did worked haha, still keeping fingers crossed!) but can definitely say it was quite relaxed, so not too much need to be nervous. It's over a platform called Blackboard, very similar to Zoom. It did last quite long, over 2 hours so make sure you have a bottle of water nearby as there's a lot of talking!

So you're in a total group of about 10 which then you're split in half. You're given a general question related to teaching to discuss and between the two interviewers they'll pop into your group and just observe your group discussion - it's the same format for the 2nd task.

You are asked to prepare a presentation in advance (see the Interview FAQs page), it's very brief and no need for a powerpoint etc. It's only 2 mins and they have a timer to let you know when you're up but will let you finish the sentence you were on. You can have little notecards or prompts, but I'd recommend trying to speak more freely as it's quite obvious (I think at least...) when someone's just reading off a screen or sheet word for word and I don't think they're looking for that. Even though you're all doing the same topic, everyone's presentations are slightly different in style or tone, so don't be put off by others doing things differently to you.

Everyone is very supportive and friendly, although sometimes in the group discussion you need to make sure you get to have your say and don't feel interrupted by others - stand your ground!

Hope this is helpful for you - and best of luck!
Last edited by youcancallmeAL94; 1 month ago
MMonteir0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by youcancallmeAL94)
Hi,

I had an Primary interview a while back (no news yet so can't tell if you what I did worked haha, still keeping fingers crossed!) but can definitely say it was quite relaxed, so not too much need to be nervous. It's over a platform called Blackboard, very similar to Zoom. It did last quite long, over 2 hours so make sure you have a bottle of water nearby as there's a lot of talking!

So you're in a total group of about 10 which then you're split in half. You're given a general question related to teaching to discuss and between the two interviewers they'll pop into your group and just observe your group discussion - it's the same format for the 2nd task.

You are asked to prepare a presentation in advance (see the Interview FAQs page), it's very brief and no need for a powerpoint etc. It's only 2 mins and they have a timer to let you know when you're up but will let you finish the sentence you were on. You can have little notecards or prompts, but I'd recommend trying to speak more freely as it's quite obvious (I think at least...) when someone's just reading off a screen or sheet word for word and I don't think they're looking for that. Even though you're all doing the same topic, everyone's presentations are slightly different in style or tone, so don't be put off by others doing things differently to you.

Everyone is very supportive and friendly, although sometimes in the group discussion you need to make sure you get to have your say and don't feel interrupted by others - stand your ground!

Hope this is helpful for you - and best of luck!
Thank you! That was super helpful!
Good luck, I hope you have good news from them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.67%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.95%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (169)
41.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.96%

Watched Threads