The Student Room Group

US or UK for Computer Science Masters?

I am open to roles in the US, although I am leaning towards the UK. I guess I wanted to understand if a degree from Bath can help me get a job in some good tech companies and if the degree shall be valuable in my PhD applications later. Or is it better to go for a US degree- would that be better appreciated in the UK?

US or UK for Computer Science Masters?

I am open to roles in the US, although I am leaning towards the UK. I guess I wanted to understand if a degree from Bath can help me get a job in some good tech companies and if the degree shall be valuable in my PhD applications later. Or is it better to go for a US degree- would that be better appreciated in the UK?
Reply 1
Thanks a ton for that insight! I do have a 3+ year experience in an American product based MNC working as a Data Engineer in the Indian office, so I guess that might count for something in the UK, right?

And yes, I am pretty much interested in research roles after my masters so that I can build a strong enough profile to apply for a PhD. Not really attracted to Software roles as such, but of course I won't swear them off.
For the US you would usually apply directly to a PhD rather than a masters because the masters is included within their PhDs and PhD funding is much, much better than masters funding over there. So it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

Given what you've said so far, you should be applying to US PhDs with UK masters as a backup. Although you should also consider the big differences in how US and UK PhDs work e.g. in the US you will be expected to do teaching or unrelated research alongside your PhD whereas in the UK you will focus solely on your PhD.

Edit: Having read your OP which seems to be deleted, you should consider whether you want to take the UK MSc now or take a gap year and reapply for US PhDs for 2022 entry, or you can do both I guess, with UK PhDs an option too.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending