thebluhood
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all, I've been having some difficulty with understanding the solution to this maths question. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with it!

Three couples who each have a child are to be seated at a round table with ten secured seats. Mr Bean, who knows the three families well, is invited to take a seat at the table. Find the number of ways to seat the ten people if each child is to be seated adjacent to both his or her parents.

Solution:
Consider each couple and their child as a unit.
Number of ways of arranging 4 distinct units in a circle = 3!
Each couple can arrange amongst themselves in 2! ways.
Number of ways in which each child is seated between their parents = 3! x 2^3 = 48

Why isn't there a need to multiply the 48 by an additional 2? doesn't the position of the child need to be taken into account e.g. child parent parent and parent parent child?

Thank you for you reply!
TripleConnect1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey there,

if you are facing any difficulties with anything please feel free to come over at Tripleconnect.co . At triple connect we connect students together so they can teach others and understand concepts. It is a free service to use, I am sure that we can definitely match you with someone to help you with your situation.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by thebluhood)
Hi all, I've been having some difficulty with understanding the solution to this maths question. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with it!

Three couples who each have a child are to be seated at a round table with ten secured seats. Mr Bean, who knows the three families well, is invited to take a seat at the table. Find the number of ways to seat the ten people if each child is to be seated adjacent to both his or her parents.

Solution:
Consider each couple and their child as a unit.
Number of ways of arranging 4 distinct units in a circle = 3!
Each couple can arrange amongst themselves in 2! ways.
Number of ways in which each child is seated between their parents = 3! x 2^3 = 48

Why isn't there a need to multiply the 48 by an additional 2? doesn't the position of the child need to be taken into account e.g. child parent parent and parent parent child?

Thank you for you reply!
The child must be between its parents, so parent-child-parent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.65%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
11.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.3%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (17)
39.53%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
18.6%

Watched Threads