Is there any useful study notes( apart from bbc bitesize )especially English
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 19680126)
Is there any useful study notes( apart from bbc bitesize )especially English
i have found Scholar to be quite useful for some subjects, however does go greatly in detail at times for information that is good to know but not really required, and reading the course specification for your subjects immensely helps.
in terms of English, the best thing to do would be doing as much past papers as you can, and asking your teacher to mark them.
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the recommendation Omair1201!
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Omair1201)
i have found Scholar to be quite useful for some subjects, however does go greatly in detail at times for information that is good to know but not really required, and reading the course specification for your subjects immensely helps.
in terms of English, the best thing to do would be doing as much past papers as you can, and asking your teacher to mark them.
Thank you !(l always heard that English is quite differcult to improve on)
BlackLab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For English NAT5 RUAE I found the BrightRed Course book (not the study guide) good, it takes a bit of time to go through all the exercises and read and understand the answers. It also had some hints for the types of folio you are choosing. I'm not a natural at English (hate it) but I think it helped get me an A at NAT5 (and thankfully we didn't have exams last year as my set text and critical essay skills are poor!)

Their Higher guide isn't as good found the How To Pass better to work through for RUAE.

If you improve your RUAE it should help with your set text.

I found reading lots helped to. Online quality newspapers opinion/columnists, don't just read really try to notice their sentence structure and word choice, if you have someone to discuss with it helps. Use a thesaurus to improve vocab.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
For English NAT5 RUAE I found the BrightRed Course book (not the study guide) good, it takes a bit of time to go through all the exercises and read and understand the answers. It also had some hints for the types of folio you are choosing. I'm not a natural at English (hate it) but I think it helped get me an A at NAT5 (and thankfully we didn't have exams last year as my set text and critical essay skills are poor!)

Their Higher guide isn't as good found the How To Pass better to work through for RUAE.

If you improve your RUAE it should help with your set text.

I found reading lots helped to. Online quality newspapers opinion/columnists, don't just read really try to notice their sentence structure and word choice, if you have someone to discuss with it helps. Use a thesaurus to improve vocab.
Thanks !(my English is very poor )😂
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Omair1201)
I am in danger of being a cheer leader for "Scholar", you cannot do better. Yes they go into great detail but - as the clicjhe goes - "the devil is in the detail." I understand you can now purchase PDF versions and not just paper.
Study notes are important and you might want to take a look at Scottishsettexts.co.uk
However if you want the best grades then:
a) in RUAE study the Scholar chapters and exercises. Past papers are very usful - but if you are weak in the skill how will repeated practice in past papers help you????
b) In Scottish Set Text you need to read, read, read the texts. The opinion of study notes are useful - but if you want the highest grades you need to have your own opinons and that you can only get from frequent reading and thinking about the text. In class I could always recognise those who had thoroughly studied the text. They were the ones who always challenged me. "Yea o.k., but you have not mentioned this point." OR "Yes, but that is not the only interpretation of that point!!" To know the text so well that you have your own opinons always highlighted a student who would get the highest grade.
C) What I have said about Set texts - applies to the critical essay.

There are other issues with regard of gaining the highest grades - like language skills - but I will end on these three points.
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jamesg2)
I am in danger of being a cheer leader for "Scholar", you cannot do better. Yes they go into great detail but - as the clicjhe goes - "the devil is in the detail." I understand you can now purchase PDF versions and not just paper.
Study notes are important and you might want to take a look at Scottishsettexts.co.uk
However if you want the best grades then:
a) in RUAE study the Scholar chapters and exercises. Past papers are very usful - but if you are weak in the skill how will repeated practice in past papers help you????
b) In Scottish Set Text you need to read, read, read the texts. The opinion of study notes are useful - but if you want the highest grades you need to have your own opinons and that you can only get from frequent reading and thinking about the text. In class I could always recognise those who had thoroughly studied the text. They were the ones who always challenged me. "Yea o.k., but you have not mentioned this point." OR "Yes, but that is not the only interpretation of that point!!" To know the text so well that you have your own opinons always highlighted a student who would get the highest grade.
C) What I have said about Set texts - applies to the critical essay.

There are other issues with regard of gaining the highest grades - like language skills - but I will end on these three points.
think you might have replied to the wrong person? .
me personally, I used nothing but past papers, teacher resources and the teacher's help when it came to all aspects of English and came out with an A in nat 5 and higher.
my advice is not to blindly do past papers, it is to do one, ask the teacher to mark it, take that feedback on board and learn from that. for me, English was very formulaic, and we were told set ways on how to approach each type of question in ruae and how to answer them for the marks.
and for the critical essay and text, I agree, learn your texts inside out and as best as you can however the more past papers and essays you do, the more you realise that the themes of your PEAR/PEEL paragraphs can be used in the case of multiple questions.
Last edited by Omair1201; 4 weeks ago
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jamesg2)
I am in danger of being a cheer leader for "Scholar", you cannot do better. Yes they go into great detail but - as the cliché goes - "the devil is in the detail." I understand you can now purchase PDF versions and not just paper.
Thanks jamesg2! We do certainly prefer to include too much rather than too little content in our online courses, and we do try to point out where any materials are not assessable.

PDF Study Guides can be downloaded for free when logged into SCHOLAR, and printed book versions of these can also be purchased from https://books.scholar.hw.ac.uk/books/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (139)
4.82%
Uncertainty around my education (425)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (323)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (404)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (131)
4.54%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (176)
6.1%
Loneliness (248)
8.59%
Financial worries (106)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (118)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (155)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (257)
8.91%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (272)
9.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed