Never! I'm special.
At least you are honest
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by finlay291202)
Well it is, if the reasons behind it are important issues. It's better to overreact to important issues than underreact.
Throwing tantrums like a toddler (which is what being a snowflake symbolizes) and wanting people to change in accordance with your worldview is not a good thing. That goes for both sides of the political aisle.

The amount of people on the right who in 2021 want us to reverse same-sex marriage is probably in percentage terms the same as those vegans in the PC brigade who want us to ban meat/hunting.

Being a snowflake is ultimately about a lack of respect about individual liberty and that is always bad.
username4524630
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Most students questioning these things can't even tidy up their own bedroom. They should learn to manage their actual problems before setting off trying to change the world.
You got some odd stereotypes, isn’t the whole point of being a student starting to learning about the world.l? Would you prefer they just keep their mouth shut and obey their superiors like most adults do? Is this the kind of society you want?

That’s what I don’t get about Conservatives. They encourage free-speech as long as it’s something they agree with. Then they complain that the left does the same thing??
Last edited by username4524630; 1 month ago
Wanttobreakfree
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stark°3000)
I guess I would be on the left but I still do think that the free-market system just needs a little more regulation put in place.

I know this is gonna sound silly but AS economics has just made me so confused on where I am politically.
On the one hand, you've got the free market which does satisfy people's wants and needs however, sometimes, due to the profit-motive, the free-market fails to allocate scarce resources at the socially optimum level of output and there can be other issues such as exploitation of workers, regulatory capture, pollution and environmental costs etc.
Government intervention certainly does help with these issues by holding firms accountable for failing to provide goods and services at the socially optimal level of output mostly through regulation and taxation.

The free market also does help improve the quality and innovation of goods and services due to competition for firms.
I feel like Government intervention would probably lead to less innovation tho...

Uuuurgh but culturally, I guess I would be leftist/liberal (they both share the same view culturally but the difference is the economic view).
Here's the issue. We tried regulations and in the end the rapid accumulation of capital at the expense as well as exploitation of the working class lead to rich people buying ads in politics and bribing candidates to gradually chip away at said regulations until they eventually became useless. Einstein said something about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over whilst expecting different results. Regulations alone aren't sustainable. We need to democracy the idea of commodification and make sure everyone is aware of where exactly their hard earn working tax payer money is going into the pockets of.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mikos)
The British right very very rarely ever talks about same sex marriage. It’s not a big issue on the right here at all. In fact, the vast majority of right wing figures in the UK are supportive of same sex marriage and adoption.
The vegan sausage roll thing was something that Piers Morgan complained about, not out of genuine anger, but because he is playing a character to stir up controversy and get more viewers. His own long term acquaintances have said that he doesn’t actually believe what he says.
Yes, I think finlay291202 forgets which party brought in the bill to legalize same sex marriage. It simply isn't the politically divisive issue that he makes it out to be.
username4524630
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Makes sense and I would agree with you. It would be interesting to know why some people use the terms interchangeably when In reality they could be completely unrelated.
It’s a tradition started a while ago. Students generally are a lot more liberal than the general population. Years ago, students were called naive for standing up for civil rights in America, a lot of them believed it was a possibility while adults labelled them as brainwashed. It’s no different now.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BiggestLoser21)
You got some odd stereotypes, isn’t the whole point of being a student is to start learning about the world. Would you prefer they just keep their mouth shut and obey their superiors like most adults do? Is this the kind of society you want?
Instead of trying to change things on a global scale as an idealistic student, on matters they know nothing about nor have control over, start with the problems they actually have control over and work from there before taking on the rest of the world. If nothing else, it builds up essential skills and experience.
Euroliberal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mikos)
The British right very very rarely ever talks about same sex marriage. It’s not a big issue on the right here at all. In fact, the vast majority of right wing figures in the UK are supportive of same sex marriage and adoption.
The vegan sausage roll thing was something that Piers Morgan complained about, not out of genuine anger, but because he is playing a character to stir up controversy and get more viewers. His own long term acquaintances have said that he doesn’t actually believe what he says.
When the bill was introduced in 2013, half of the tory MPs voted against it, and there are tories like JRM who still don't agree with it. So 'the vast majority' is somewhat of an exaggeration, if not a lie.

Granted Piers may not have actually been offended by it, after all he is a professional ****stirrer, but there were people who were saying ****e like "Worlds gone mad!!!" simply because a dietary alternative that they didn't even have to buy or eat was on offer.

Also whenever LGBT+ people ask people to use their pronouns, or a boy wears a dress or whatever, there is a tidal wave of right wing lunatics giving it the "Teens used to be fighting in wars back then" ****e, as if fighting in a world war is a desirable situation.

Most of the right-wing are traditionalist lunatics who are, for some reason, petrified of any form of social progression.
Iconoclast01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So from what I gathered, leftist- people who believe that there is a ruling class in society and the free market exploits them, they want gender equality, support LGBTQ community, want more progressive taxes and government intervention?

Liberal- they support LGBTQ community, want gender equality, but do think that there are benefits to keeping capatilst markets/free markets and don't want as much government intervention as leftists?
Not really. Liberals are capitalists, and advocate for liberalised markets however they do not delude themselves into advocating for a 'truly' free market. This is because very few people who advocate for the free market truly understand what that entails. An truly free market is a case of 'the strong do as they will, and the weak suffer what they must' truly free markets are a market without regulation, without standards, safeguards or rules. In a truly free market you may sell anything you want too at any price, for any reason. Chattel slavery, child labour, unfair working conditions, corporate currency, generational contracts, indentured servitude, all of these thing are not only present but necessary for a totally free market. I only bring this up as very few people who advocate for a fully free market understand the implications of that argument.
Euroliberal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
Throwing tantrums like a toddler (which is what being a snowflake symbolizes) and wanting people to change in accordance with your worldview is not a good thing. That goes for both sides of the political aisle.

The amount of people on the right who in 2021 want us to reverse same-sex marriage is probably in percentage terms the same as those vegans in the PC brigade who want us to ban meat/hunting.

Being a snowflake is ultimately about a lack of respect about individual liberty and that is always bad.
They still are not comparable.

Wanting citizens to have the same rights regardless of sexuality, race, gender etc. and not wanting the US to bomb innocent people is not the same as complaining about a ****ing vegan sausage roll or some pronouns.
Euroliberal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I think finlay291202 forgets which party brought in the bill to legalize same sex marriage. It simply isn't the politically divisive issue that he makes it out to be.
They brought in the bill and half of their MPs voted against it. I'm not sure that meets the definition of 'the vast majority supporting it'
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Iconoclast01)
Not really. Liberals are capitalists, and advocate for liberalised markets however they do not delude themselves into advocating for a 'truly' free market. This is because very few people who advocate for the free market truly understand what that entails. An truly free market is a case of 'the strong do as they will, and the weak suffer what they must' truly free markets are a market without regulation, without standards, safeguards or rules. In a truly free market you may sell anything you want too at any price, for any reason. Chattel slavery, child labour, unfair working conditions, corporate currency, generational contracts, indentured servitude, all of these thing are not only present but necessary for a totally free market. I only bring this up as very few people who advocate for a fully free market understand the implications of that argument.
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When the bill was introduced in 2013, half of the tory MPs voted against it, and there are tories like JRM who still don't agree with it. So 'the vast majority' is somewhat of an exaggeration, if not a lie.

Granted Piers may not have actually been offended by it, after all he is a professional ****stirrer, but there were people who were saying ****e like "Worlds gone mad!!!" simply because a dietary alternative that they didn't even have to buy or eat was on offer.

Also whenever LGBT+ people ask people to use their pronouns, or a boy wears a dress or whatever, there is a tidal wave of right wing lunatics giving it the "Teens used to be fighting in wars back then" ****e, as if fighting in a world war is a desirable situation.

Most of the right-wing are traditionalist lunatics who are, for some reason, petrified of any form of social progression.
As an LGBT person myself the situation has changed drastically since 2013 and is a very poor comparison for a debate 8 years later.
username5618834
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B

(Original post by _gcx)
I- what?

Lol I'm lost 😂
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Same here. But then again, it comes down to what definition people use to describe the terms. I find them too ambiguous so generally choose not to pick a firm side. I just have my own beliefs and opinions and that’s that.
Igy. I probably have left leaning views on some things and right leaning views on another things.

They still are not comparable.

Wanting citizens to have the same rights regardless of sexuality, race, gender etc. and not wanting the US to bomb innocent people is not the same as complaining about a ****ing vegan sausage roll or some pronouns.
Invasion of Afghanistan - Labour Gov.
Invasion of Iraq - Labour gov.
Bombing of Libya - Con Gov.

Both parties have annihilated countries when in power. Let's not pretend that the left cares.
Euroliberal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mikos)
As an LGBT person myself the situation has changed drastically since 2013 and is a very poor comparison for a debate 8 years later.
Nearly half of the tory MPs voted against the NI legalisation of same-sex marriage in 2019.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
B

I- what?

Lol I'm lost 😂
It's an anarcho capitalist ball meme lol there's a ton of them for the different flavours of anarchism. Ancap is basically letting the free market wholly run society.
Euroliberal
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Igy. I probably have left leaning views on some things and right leaning views on another things.

Invasion of Afghanistan - Labour Gov.
Invasion of Iraq - Labour gov.
Bombing of Libya - Con Gov.

Both parties have annihilated countries when in power. Let's not pretend that the left cares.
Haha? You say "labour gov" as if Blair's government was left-wing????????????
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nearly half of the tory MPs voted against the NI legalisation of same-sex marriage in 2019.
You’re ignoring the fact that Ireland (both of them) is very religious and a different situation entirely to what we’ll find in England. That is a religious objection, not a traditionalist one.
username5618834
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
It's an anarcho capitalist ball meme lol there's a ton of them for the different flavours of anarchism. Ancap is basically letting the free market wholly run society.
Woah that's a bit extreme there are so many issues with that I don't think I could support it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (189)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (551)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (516)
13.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (187)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (223)
5.94%
Loneliness (315)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (213)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (335)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (352)
9.38%

Watched Threads