The Student Room Group

Why do people dislike the left?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurawatt
JRM is a Catholic though, so his views on gay marriage is to do with his interpretation of his religion, not necessarily his political stance :smile:

I mean this country does have a system where the state celebrates the supposed divine birthright of our monarch under the lens of God. It all plays into it y'know. There was a time Germany was a great democracy and then it suddenly became one of the worst countries to live in during the rise of The Nazis. Also Jacobs Rees Moggs and Boris Johnson has met up with Alt-Right Steve Bannon.
Original post by Mikos
The point is that someone’s religious beliefs can exist alongside otherwise incongruent political beliefs.

Original post by finlay291202
Religion should not influence politics.

--
No they aren't 'leftist'. That's not what leftist means. To be a leftist you have to actually be left-wing. Blair was a centrist, as were most of Labour's MPs during his premiership. They were essentially a more moderate and socially progressive version of the Conservatives.

'Left of centre' is not equal to 'left-wing'
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 83
--

Religion is incredibly important to people and has a massive influence on their lives. It affects the way they conduct themselves on a day to day basis, how they deal with their greatest problems etc.
Religion is so important that politics cannot ignore it.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Exactly the same here. I find SJWs in general incredibly irritating though but because “leftist” can be associated with those types of people, I avoid using the term. Likewise saying you have some “right wing” views might get you plonked into the Conservative camp which I have no desire to be a part of. Hence I have my views and leave it at that.

See I've read and heard this term used a lot even against other Conservatives; still to this very day I've never seen anyone give a coherent definition of what it actually means. I always saw it as a dehumanising slur that in the long run I potential saw if say Trump in America won another term would've been used to justify sending leftists and liberals to camps. America dodged a bullet there, but The GOP has gone full on Neo-Nazi and considering both Boris Johnson as well as Jacobs Rees Mogg have talked to Steve Bannon I don't think were not that far along to adopting similar fascist leaning sentiments. Cause make no mistake it's exactly what those sentiments are.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mikos
Religion is incredibly important to people and has a massive influence on their lives. It affects the way they conduct themselves on a day to day basis, how they deal with their greatest problems etc.
Religion is so important that politics cannot ignore it.

Religion influences individual people. It shouldn't influence an entire country, especially when half of that country doesn't believe in a divine being. Otherwise you are on the slippery slope to theocracy which almost inevitably ends in dictatorship.
Original post by Wanttobreakfree
See I've read and heard this term used a lot even against other Conservatives; still to this very day I've never seen anyone give a coherent definition of what it actually means. I always saw it as a dehumanising slur that in the long run I potential saw if say Trump in America won another term would've been used to justify sending leftists and liberals to camps. America dodged a bullet there, but The GOP has gone full on Neo-Nazi and considering both Boris Johnson as well as Jacobs Rees Mogg have talked to Steve Bannon I don't think were not that far along to adopting similar fascist leaning sentiments.

What is a fascist?
A major issue among the left compiles of a lack of understanding about the factions within Labour. The Labour Right, Labour Centre and Labour Left are the three main factions within the party. The Right and Centre have hold a major stake within the party for decades now hence why they tend to lean right a bit. The Labour Left is essentially a small faction due to numerous changes meant to push it out.
He was centre-left, and he outwardly said he wasn't a pacifist (as almost all leftist politicians are).

Look at the EU parliament. They have separate groups for Leftists and Social Democrats. Why? Because they aren't the same thing.
See I've read and heard this term used a lot even against other Conservatives; still to this very day I've never seen anyone give a coherent definition of what it actually means. I always saw it as a dehumanising slur that in the long run I potential saw if say Trump in America won another term would've been used to justify sending leftists and liberals to camps. America dodged a bullet there, but The GOP has gone full on Neo-Nazi and considering both Boris Johnson as well as Jacobs Rees Mogg have talked to Steve Bannon I don't think were not that far along to adopting similar fascist leaning sentiments. Cause make no mistake it's exactly what those sentiments are.

Which term are you referring to?
And yes, the lack of a fixed definition is confusing. I probably need to do my own research on this but as far as I’m aware left/right refer to a scale ranging from communism to capitalism. It’s when other terms such as SJW and liberalism get added to the mix which throws me off. That’s probably due to my own lack of understanding though.
Labour right is essentially Biden type politics. It's centre, not centre-left. Blair, Campbell etc. aren't left-wing. Blair was more right-wing economically than he was left.
Original post by Stark°3000
What is a fascist?

A fascist to me would be someone who's a persistent religious incoherent inconsistency towards facts and wants to enforce the state to suppress truth and crafting a hyper nationalist society around a falsely perceived racial or class identity' narrative in order to justify an increasingly traditionalist mindset to point of inevitable internal collapse. Asides from that your best bet would be to look up the 14 characteristics of fascism by Umberto Eco. These characteristics are why it's a right wing ideology and not a left wing one. There's been plenty of opportunists like Stalin, but I don't consider Tankies economically and or socially left.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 92
Religion influences individual people. It shouldn't influence an entire country, especially when half of that country doesn't believe in a divine being. Otherwise you are on the slippery slope to theocracy which almost inevitably ends in dictatorship.

People voting in terms of something that is a very important aspect of their lives does not lead to dictatorship lmao stretch before you reach. America is very religious and nowhere near a dictatorship
(edited 3 years ago)
Jeremy Corbyn voted against it.

09B412CB-0B70-48B5-8F51-C4C275FE0233.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Mikos
People voting in terms of something that is a very important aspect of their lives does not lead to democracy lmao stretch before you reach. America is very religious and nowhere near a dictatorship

Not a dictatorship, but the US is very undemocratic. It's an exclusively two-party system with 1 person having tons of executive power (despite maybe not even polling the most votes). It's not the best example of democracy.

Also as a politician, you shouldn't be voting for your own interest, you should be voting in the interests of your constituents. And in the UK, chances are most of those constituents don't believe in God.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Which term are you referring to?
And yes, the lack of a fixed definition is confusing. I probably need to do my own research on this but as far as I’m aware left/right refer to a scale ranging from communism to capitalism. It’s when other terms such as SJW and liberalism get added to the mix which throws me off. That’s probably due to my own lack of understanding though.

SJW. I've literally never seen it if ever have a consistently defined nor sustained meaning. Perhaps the term can be re-appropriated don't get me wrong, but the term literally originated on fascist forum boards like 4chan /pol/ and was a strategy towards making their extreme traditionalist politics go mainstream. Unfortunately in a lot of ways they've clearly succeeded when it comes to the US and UK. Their blatant mischaracterization of: 'woke' and how they're tying it to a tale of caution that progressive politics will be the demise of: 'western civilization' is another more recent.
(edited 3 years ago)
A fascist to me would be someone who's a persistent religious incoherent inconsistency towards facts and wants to enforce the state to suppress truth and crafting a hyper nationalist society around a falsely perceived racial or class identity' narrative in order to justify an increasingly traditionalist mindset to point of inevitable internal collapse. Asides from that your best bet would be to look up the 14 characteristics of fascism by Umberto Eco. These characteristics are why it's a right wing ideology and not a left wing one. There's been plenty of opportunists like Stalin, but I don't consider Tankies economically and or socially left.

Wow. So someone who values facts over everything and also has traditional views?
SJW. I've literally never seen it if ever have a consistently defined nor sustained meaning. Perhaps the term can be re-appropriated don't get me wrong, but the term literally originated on fascist forum boards like 4chan /pol/ and was a strategy towards making their extreme traditionalist politics go mainstream. Unfortunately in a lot of ways they've clearly succeeded when it comes to the US and UK.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of this. Just goes to show how much research we really need to do for ourselves.
No because Miliband is not the left

I'll give you another example. 'Die Linke' in Germany, literally meaning 'the left'. Why aren't they just part of the German Social Democratic Party? Because they are different. And anti-war.

Far-left = Communism
Left-wing = Die Linke, GUE/NGL, Corbyn, McDonnell, Tony Benn
Centre-Left = Social Democrats, Miliband, Gordon Brown
Centre = Blair, Campbell, Biden
Original post by BiggestLoser21
Jeremy Corbyn voted against it.

09B412CB-0B70-48B5-8F51-C4C275FE0233.jpg.jpeg

As did McDonnell and Skinner. Two of the most prominent leftists in the PLP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending