The Student Room Group

Social Media - Mental Health, Body Image Anxiety & Eating Disorders

I can definitely say social media had a negative impact on my body image. I started being really restrictive with my eating after going on holiday. It started with just wanting to eat a bit better after over indulging on holiday but it turned into really restricting my calories, over exercising and hating my body. I can't say social media started my poor eating habits but it definitely fuelled it. I would constantly see posts about calories, "bad foods", "detox" drinks and workouts to burn body fat. I remember nearly being sick because i was forcing myself to drink lemon and apple cider vinegar water it was so disgusting but was suppose to burn belly fat. Also, Instagram showed me new insecurities i never knew i had hip dips until i seen all these workout post to get rid of hip dips. Along with that, seeing all the insta models with their tiny waists and big hips made me hate my body more (obviously i can't blame those who were natural for my insecurities but the ones who photoshop and get surgery that i didn't know about). Currently I dont see that much on insta about weight loss and i've unfollowed accounts that weren't good for my mental health and generally just try stay off it. I try stay off tiktok aswell because it has affected how i see myself aswell. I never had a problem with my nose but after seeing so many posts about creating a tiny nose with makeup i started questioning is my nose too big? Social media can be so damaging. I'll happy to talk about this more if u want just let my know and ill send u a pm because i just want to post this anon. Hopefully what i said is relevant.
Original post by Anonymous
I can definitely say social media had a negative impact on my body image. I started being really restrictive with my eating after going on holiday. It started with just wanting to eat a bit better after over indulging on holiday but it turned into really restricting my calories, over exercising and hating my body. I can't say social media started my poor eating habits but it definitely fuelled it. I would constantly see posts about calories, "bad foods", "detox" drinks and workouts to burn body fat. I remember nearly being sick because i was forcing myself to drink lemon and apple cider vinegar water it was so disgusting but was suppose to burn belly fat. Also, Instagram showed me new insecurities i never knew i had hip dips until i seen all these workout post to get rid of hip dips. Along with that, seeing all the insta models with their tiny waists and big hips made me hate my body more (obviously i can't blame those who were natural for my insecurities but the ones who photoshop and get surgery that i didn't know about). Currently I dont see that much on insta about weight loss and i've unfollowed accounts that weren't good for my mental health and generally just try stay off it. I try stay off tiktok aswell because it has affected how i see myself aswell. I never had a problem with my nose but after seeing so many posts about creating a tiny nose with makeup i started questioning is my nose too big? Social media can be so damaging. I'll happy to talk about this more if u want just let my know and ill send u a pm because i just want to post this anon. Hopefully what i said is relevant.

Thanks so much, this was incredibly helpful! I agree, I think Instagram and TikTok have begun to create such a narrow idea of beauty, that I have begun to start questioning so many of my own features because they don't match up to these beauty 'ideals' that I see online.
I'd love to talk to you more about this if you would be happy to? So please do send me a pm x
Original post by joelyakiggins
Thanks so much, this was incredibly helpful! I agree, I think Instagram and TikTok have begun to create such a narrow idea of beauty, that I have begun to start questioning so many of my own features because they don't match up to these beauty 'ideals' that I see online.
I'd love to talk to you more about this if you would be happy to? So please do send me a pm x

I'm so sorry I didn't realise that it won't allow you to send private messages until you had been a member for at least 3 days! I only set up my account today so give me till Friday/Saturday and then hopefully it'll allow me to reply! I promise you I'll get back to you so we can talk about this a bit more! x
Reply 3
What was the original post?

Quick Reply

Latest