Tesla's Consumer Brand Perception: Calling the help of those who are aware of Tesla!

Watch
sephxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone! New here so hi!

I am currently undertaking some research into the consumer brand perception of Tesla as part of my dissertation.

I would like to ask you all to fill out my survey in order to better understand Tesla's brand perception as an indication of where Tesla will be in the forthcoming years.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
Last edited by sephxo; 1 month ago
virgil1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sephxo)
Hi everyone! New here so hi!

I am currently undertaking some research into the consumer brand perception of Tesla as part of my dissertation.

I would like to ask you all to fill out my survey in order to better understand Tesla's brand perception as an indication of where Tesla will be in the forthcoming years.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
Just the enthusiasts? Surely that’s skewing the data.

I shopped a model S last year but decided against as their in car tech is well under the standard of normal manufacturers - no HUD, carplay etc. So called “auto pilot” is questionable at best - even if it worked it’ll take years for it to be legally allowable to take responsibility.

I’m really glad I did too - a coworker ordered a S with a white interior (no idea why) and it was delivered with black trim on the A pillars, that kind of poor QC is unacceptable.

Elon Musk’s attitude and treatment of workers during Covid are just another reason.

Personally I think when the standard manufacturers wake up Tesla are in major trouble and I’m looking to put my money where my mouth is as I’m looking to order a BMW IX potentially.
Last edited by virgil1; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by virgil1)
I was going to say this earlier tbh, OP this seems to render your survey pointless and full of bias. You want brand perceptions, but only from enthusiasts? , then it's 'all' with zero explanation? Who is your target population?

Has your supervisor ok'd this approach? I carried out a formal survey for my HND project and i'd have been shredded for such basic errors in methodology.
sephxo
Rep:
?

I shopped a model S last year but decided against as their in car tech is well under the standard of normal manufacturers - no HUD, carplay etc. So called “auto pilot” is questionable at best - even if it worked it’ll take years for it to be legally allowable to take responsibility.

I’m really glad I did too - a coworker ordered a S with a white interior (no idea why) and it was delivered with black trim on the A pillars, that kind of poor QC is unacceptable.

Elon Musk’s attitude and treatment of workers during Covid are just another reason.

Personally I think when the standard manufacturers wake up Tesla are in major trouble and I’m looking to put my money where my mouth is as I’m looking to order a BMW IX potentially.
Yeah, you're right. I meant to change the wording, that would skew the data. I meant to say those who are aware/ have adequate knowledge of Tesla in order to provide real insight. The term 'enthusiasts' does create bias, thanks for letting me know. Also, I agree with the points you made, there are a series of concerns Tesla faces that must be dealt with.
sephxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I was going to say this earlier tbh, OP this seems to render your survey pointless and full of bias. You want brand perceptions, but only from enthusiasts? , then it's 'all' with zero explanation? Who is your target population?

Has your supervisor ok'd this approach? I carried out a formal survey for my HND project and i'd have been shredded for such basic errors in methodology.
Hi, yeah I used an awful term to get the attention of people. I simply meant those who are aware of the brand/ have brand knowledge so I could get some insightful information. The data I have collected so far has been unbiased luckily. I will change the wording now, thank you.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, yeah I used an awful term to get the attention of people. I simply meant those who are aware of the brand/ have brand knowledge so I could get some insightful information. The data I have collected so far has been unbiased luckily. I will change the wording now, thank you.
That's not much better tbh (sorry ). imo you shouldn't be adding any of these qualitative or leading statements in the title. To be a pedant the data could be considered compromised/biased, as people who would have otherwise filled the survey in have been potentially deterred in favour of 'enthusiasts' ect who are likely to give a strong view of the brand, and you would never be in a position to state for sure that hadn't happened.

What is 'knowing' about Tesla? Do I need to own one? Have driven one? Work for them? Read an article? Have an opinion on Elon Musk, you see where i'm going here? it again muddies the population which is a big deal for accurate data and expects your responders to do a lot of mental legwork upfront.

IMO you need to either chose between targeting the survey at Tesla owners and no one else, or, more realistically, open it to everyone with no preconditions. There's nothing stopping you adding one/several initial questions to filter this,

Q1 - Do you have brand awareness of the Tesla Motor company?
Yes - 'Proceed', No - 'Thanks for taking the time to assist my survey,' You get the honest quantitative data for aware vs not aware and you've kept the survey open to everyone, then you can filter down to where do they get their awareness ect...

(Sorry I know i'm totally ripping on your survey, but this is exactly the sort of thing I did in my proposals and would expect to get pulled up for now). The importance of clarity in questions and data type obtained was always stressed, if your audience is at any point confused.... it's essentially a bad survey.
sephxo
Rep:
?
That's not much better tbh (sorry ). imo you shouldn't be adding any of these qualitative or leading statements in the title. To be a pedant the data could be considered compromised/biased, as people who would have otherwise filled the survey in have been potentially deterred in favour of 'enthusiasts' ect who are likely to give a strong view of the brand, and you would never be in a position to state for sure that hadn't happened.

What is 'knowing' about Tesla? Do I need to own one? Have driven one? Work for them? Read an article? Have an opinion on Elon Musk, you see where i'm going here? it again muddies the population which is a big deal for accurate data and expects your responders to do a lot of mental legwork upfront.

IMO you need to either chose between targeting the survey at Tesla owners and no one else, or, more realistically, open it to everyone with no preconditions. There's nothing stopping you adding one/several initial questions to filter this,

Q1 - Do you have brand awareness of the Tesla Motor company?
Yes - 'Proceed', No - 'Thanks for taking the time to assist my survey,' You get the honest quantitative data for aware vs not aware and you've kept the survey open to everyone, then you can filter down to where do they get their awareness ect...

(Sorry I know i'm totally ripping on your survey, but this is exactly the sort of thing I did in my proposals and would expect to get pulled up for now). The importance of clarity in questions and data type obtained was always stressed, if your audience is at any point confused.... it's essentially a bad survey.
Ahaha no need to be sorry, I prefer to have quality feedback and direction than none at all.

In my research, I discuss the requirements in three ways. Those that participate in the survey must be a Tesla brand follower, Tesla consumer/ owner, or an automotive enthusiast. I'm not sure if these requirements are rigid enough or conversely flexible enough upon reflection/ if they contribute to any bias. My supervisor approved of my three requirements so I am not sure to be completely honest.

I have a section before the survey that has a notice: If you are unaware of Tesla, please do not participate in this survey.

I think opening up the survey to everyone would be the best approach, it is just the technicalities and wording of the survey I'm having an issue with. I can't just target everyone, right? I need some sort of structure. Would my three requirements prove appropriate in gaining unbiased, insightful information that would open it up to everyone whilst producing some good results?

I do have a filter question as to the first question - Are you aware of Tesla? Yes or No

Having looked at my results thus far, the results do showcase an open sort of style - some are owners, production line workers, followers, automotive enthusiasts. Is enthusiasts a poor choice of the term in that context as a precondition 'automotive enthusiast'?

My poor wording and structure are definitely to blame here. Apologies for the long reply lol
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahaha no need to be sorry, I prefer to have quality feedback and direction than none at all.

In my research, I discuss the requirements in three ways. Those that participate in the survey must be a Tesla brand follower, Tesla consumer/ owner, or an automotive enthusiast. I'm not sure if these requirements are rigid enough or conversely flexible enough upon reflection/ if they contribute to any bias. My supervisor approved of my three requirements so I am not sure to be completely honest.

I have a section before the survey that has a notice: If you are unaware of Tesla, please do not participate in this survey.

I think opening up the survey to everyone would be the best approach, it is just the technicalities and wording of the survey I'm having an issue with. I can't just target everyone, right? I need some sort of structure. Would my three requirements prove appropriate in gaining unbiased, insightful information that would open it up to everyone whilst producing some good results?

I do have a filter question as to the first question - Are you aware of Tesla? Yes or No

Having looked at my results thus far, the results do showcase an open sort of style - some are owners, production line workers, followers, automotive enthusiasts. Is enthusiasts a poor choice of the term in that context as a precondition 'automotive enthusiast'?

My poor wording and structure are definitely to blame here. Apologies for the long reply lol
In terms of the 3 requirements, that will presumably tie into your reasons for carrying out the survey in the first place. However pretty much anything that deviates your population from 'everyone' to a target group requires a justification for why.

Terms like enthusiast or even knowledge/awareness can be tricky, as psychologically people often like to appear knowledgeable rather than ignorant which introduces a new possibility of skewed data or even leading the audience.

Ideally I don't think the audience should have to think 'Am I an enthusiast or not?' as it relies on whatever unspoken definition they happen to use. I seem to be in favour of quite aggressive surveys, i keep them tight with near zero room for them to creatively wiggle about, I want for most part easily trackable quantitative data. If the respondent happens to be 12, hates Tesla, has never heard of them ect, fine, i'll log their reply and filter them out with early questions, FAR easier than justifying narrowing the population IMO.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Tell your coworker not to worry, that's just the start! Wait until they have to get the thing serviced or looked at 🤣 Apparently Tesla is terrible for sending out the wrong parts.

Only way you'll find me parting with money for a Tesla is if I had won a vast sum of money. If I could part with that kind of money for a car purely on my own earnings, I'll drop it on a Trackhawk or a Lexus LS. Might not be as quick but still pack a punch and look rather unsuspecting. Don't get me wrong, Teslas are quite something on paper. The problems really do stem from QC and terrible after-service
sephxo
Rep:
?
In terms of the 3 requirements, that will presumably tie into your reasons for carrying out the survey in the first place. However pretty much anything that deviates your population from 'everyone' to a target group requires a justification for why.

Terms like enthusiast or even knowledge/awareness can be tricky, as psychologically people often like to appear knowledgeable rather than ignorant which introduces a new possibility of skewed data or even leading the audience.

Ideally I don't think the audience should have to think 'Am I an enthusiast or not?' as it relies on whatever unspoken definition they happen to use. I seem to be in favour of quite aggressive surveys, i keep them tight with near zero room for them to creatively wiggle about, I want for most part easily trackable quantitative data. If the respondent happens to be 12, hates Tesla, has never heard of them ect, fine, i'll log their reply and filter them out with early questions, FAR easier than justifying narrowing the population IMO.
Thank you for the feedback!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (547)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (418)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (514)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (185)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.5%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.4%

Watched Threads