The Student Room Group

How do student flats/house shares work?

Like, with house shares that have one bathroom, how do students go about splitting times on who showers first or whatnot? Do you get separate cupboards and food space in the kitchen like in the fridge and freezer and stuff? Has anyone ever stolen your food? If so, how did handle it/how should you handle it? Is it selfish to not want to share your stuff?
All housemates have to negotiate advance rotas agreeing schedules for bathroom and kitchen use.
Cleaning duty, putting the rubbish out and having guests come/stay over too.
Sadly a lot of people will be lazy about always keeping to their obligations or will try to take advantage of other people's willingness to tidy up their mess.

Similar thing for housemates sneakily "borrowing" other people's cutlery, food, toiletries and electrical equipment- without asking.
The stealing of other people's food is widespread and very annoying.
To the point that many people stick labels on their items in the fridge or quietly keep their own mini-fridge hidden in their locked rooms.
I did the latter during my undergrad years when I rented rooms in houseshares but still regularly had items from my grocery shopping mysteriously vanish.
A housemate stole my brand new toaster with egg cooking feature before I even had the opportunity to use it once.

Over the years there have been lots of posts on TSR with angry students fed up of the habitual pilfering of inconsiderate housemates asking for the best ways to spike their milk or food to teach the culprits a lesson by means of severe food poisoning (or something much worse).
Even more posts from students exasperated after months/years living with housemates that never clean the bathroom or kitchen, who are determined to never ever again pay for shared facilities- for the rest of eternity.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
All housemates have to negotiate advance rotas agreeing schedules for bathroom and kitchen use.
Sadly a lot of people will be lazy about always keeping to their obligations or will try to take advantage of other people's willingness to tidy up their mess.

Similar thing for housemates sneakily "borrowing" other people's cutlery, food, toiletries and electrical equipment- without asking.
To the point that many people stick labels on their items in the fridge or quietly keep their own mini-fridge hidden in their locked rooms.
I did the latter during my undergrad years when I rented rooms in houseshares but still regularly had items from my grocery shopping mysteriously vanish.
A housemate stole my brand new toaster with egg cooking feature before I even had the opportunity to use it once.

Over the years there have been lots of posts on TSR with angry students fed up of the habitual pilfering of inconsiderate housemates asking for the best ways to spike their milk or food to teach the culprits a lesson by means of severe food poisoning (or something much worse).
Even more posts from students exasperated after months/years living with housemates that never clean the bathroom or kitchen, who are determined to never ever again pay for shared facilities- for the rest of eternity.

Oh no, this sounds so horrid. So not looking forward to that.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst

Here speaks the voice of experience! Yes, the oldies amongst us will all have similar tales to tell. I couldn't wait to get my own house then I'd no longer have to put up with someone else's mess!

Quick Reply

Latest