The Student Room Group

Autism and other people.

This question is primarily aimed at autistic people, but I don't object to others who have knowingly interacted with an autistic person chipping in.

I have noticed through out my life that other people will sometimes take a specific interest in me. I am fairly certain that they only do this because they are aware that I am autistic- this mainly occurs with in the context of educational settings. Generally the interest was/is positive, the teacher seeks to help me, but goes above and beyond what they need to do and what they do for other pupils ie. providing extention work, getting in touch with the apprenticeship supervisor on my behalf.

(Not to do with behaviours that draw attention towards me, at least intentional ones).

Have you experienced this/ whitenessed/ done this? I am wondering if this is actually a thing that happens to a lot of people- people seemingly taking a special interest in you because you are autistic. What about autism appeals to them, for want of a better way do phasing it?
Original post by Anonymous
This question is primarily aimed at autistic people, but I don't object to others who have knowingly interacted with an autistic person chipping in.

I have noticed through out my life that other people will sometimes take a specific interest in me. I am fairly certain that they only do this because they are aware that I am autistic- this mainly occurs with in the context of educational settings. Generally the interest was/is positive, the teacher seeks to help me, but goes above and beyond what they need to do and what they do for other pupils ie. providing extention work, getting in touch with the apprenticeship supervisor on my behalf.

(Not to do with behaviours that draw attention towards me, at least intentional ones).

Have you experienced this/ whitenessed/ done this? I am wondering if this is actually a thing that happens to a lot of people- people seemingly taking a special interest in you because you are autistic. What about autism appeals to them, for want of a better way do phasing it?

It's probably not that autism interests them
they are paid to help you, but they may have some pity upon you
personally if i witness discrimination against those with intellectual deficiency, i have pity for 24 hours, and then it goes away.

If you're high-functioning then you may just have above-average intelligence, explaining why they'd want to push you and help you in further studies.
Reply 3
It's probably not that autism interests them
they are paid to help you, but they may have some pity upon you
personally if i witness discrimination against those with intellectual deficiency, i have pity for 24 hours, and then it goes away.

In both examples that I have given, nothing about ASD necessitated how they behaved.

Maybe you are right about pity playing a role.

I haven't frequently been the victim of disability discrimination with in the context of education. So I don't see why people would feel pity towards me in relation to potential discrimination.

I've noticed the same effect in other areas of my life- I have been allowed to do free Indian cookery classes, the boss at my Mum's work is happy to write references for me despite never being regularly employed by them, the list could go on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending