If you think someone is ugly, do they think you are good looking? Watch

This discussion is closed.
magiccarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
surely this must be right?

cos the golden ratio applied to the human face shows how good looking they are. it is thus possible to have a mark out of 10 for each face. it is this that subconsciously determines what faces we think are attractive.

so if you see a face as ugly, it means 'ugly in relation to yourself', thus they must think you are better looking
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you think someone is ugly, do they think you are good looking?
Not necessarily.
NikolaiJ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What someone else finds desirable may not necessarily be seen as beautiful by someone else.

At least so I figure
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikolaiJ)
What someone else finds desirable may not necessarily be seen as beautiful by someone else.
One man's junk is another man's treasure
NikolaiJ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
One man's junk is another man's treasure
Quite
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The idea of beauty as other posters have suggested is entirely subjective and hence your question is meaningless as there is no universal definition of beauty or ugly that is true all or the time.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Beauty is something quite different to sexual attractiveness.
spin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hell no, although I see where you're coming from by looking at it as a chain.. Ugliest person - slightly less ugly - only a litle ugly - average - stunning etc. If there was a way of measuring beauty quantitively then yes, your hypothesis would be correct. But there isn't.

As everyone has pointed out it's entirely subjective. (Although I believe there is a common trend that people find health attractive.. which makes sense as technically we should have evolved to be attracted to healthy mates.)
ToshTrent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by magiccarpet)

cos the golden ratio applied to the human face shows how good looking they are. it is thus possible to have a mark out of 10 for each face. it is this that subconsciously determines what faces we think are attractive.

so if you see a face as ugly, it means 'ugly in relation to yourself', thus they must think you are better looking
Incorrect.

The calculation of beauty has been calculated by the Greeks, and it was discovered that people find a face to the ration of 6:1 attactive. Any face which falls out of this scales becomes less attractive to ugly.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I don't really think there is any connection.
sassy but sweet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's what's in the inside that counts. You can have a man/woman with a very attractive face, but they do and say ugly things, they are in my book considered to be ugly. But you can have a ugly person with beautiful actions, what they look like is no longer important and their real beauty comes out. Thats beauty!
ToshTrent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sassy but sweet)
It's what's in the insde that counts. You can have a man/woman with a very attractive face, but they do and say ugly things, they are in my book considered to be ugly. But you can have a ugly person with beautiful actions, what they look like is no longer inmportant and their real beauty comes out. Thats beauty!
Oh you lame fart. A beautiful person does not have a big nose or ginger hair, even if they are a nice person. Still Ugly.
FrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ToshTrent)
Oh you lame fart. A beautiful person does not have a big nose or ginger hair, even if they are a nice person. Still Ugly.
One of my friends has red hair and she's really good looking..
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

no because you said that we judge people in relation to ourselves. using this theory this means the "ugly" person will also do so in relation to themselves, and may think they are more attractive that the onlooker thinks they are and therefore consider the onlooker ugly.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Perplexed)
Beauty is something quite different to sexual attractiveness.
Although they can be related in the sense that you have a partner whom of which you have sexual relations because you like that person so much, not because of their attractiveness but other areas which constitute beauty. So, presumably, if there was this other beauty lacking, you would not have engaged in sexual relations with the person concerned.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Although they can be related in the sense that you have a partner whom of which you have sexual relations because you like that person so much, not because of their attractiveness but other areas which constitute beauty. So, presumably, if there was this other beauty lacking, you would not have engaged in sexual relations with the person concerned.
Well okay then, physical beauty.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Attractiveness is perceptual so actually they may think your a minger and that they are doing you a favour xx
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by FrisbeeFan)
One of my friends has red hair and she's really good looking..
Indeed, I have a very attractive female friend who is ginger (with brunette highlights.
Mad_Monkey59
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This would explain all those dogs that have wanted a bit of the monkey recently...
sassy but sweet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ToshTrent)
Shame on you(grin)You should look for the hidden beauty. I have a very pretty face,(thats what others always say. I don't toot my own horn!) But I would like to be known for the inner beauty as well, because that is what you really are.Lame fart(joking)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (551)
80.56%
Leave (133)
19.44%

Watched Threads