gideonn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

This is gonna be kinda long but I have some questions about the IB
I’m thinking about moving to another school for 16+ in order to do IB instead of A Level. I’m doing 10 1/2 GCSEs including Add Maths and Classical Greek as my extras
I don’t know what I want to do at uni- one of the reasons I’m considering IB. I kinda like the idea of doing something in Medicine? So possible unis being Oxbridge (which seem to require 41-42 points
If I did IB I’d do
HL:
Maths
Bio
Chem

SL:
English
Mandarin ab initio
Philosophy

I have three questions.
  1. How hard is HL maths and is it worth taking it to get a good grade or should I do SL?
  2. Is doing a language ab initio a good idea or should I do Latin/Greek/Spanish (I’m fluent so it wouldn’t be too hard)
  3. Is the Philosophy course interesting and does it help with TOK?
Or just anything about your experience with the IB would be really useful! Thanks 🙃

TL;DR Is doing IB worth in order to get into a good uni possibly for something like medicine/what are the subjects to avoid?
Last edited by gideonn; 1 month ago
Xeryxer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I’m taking the IB at the moment in y13!

I’d recommend staying away from HL maths unless you need it for uni - if you’re unsure about what you want to do it opens up a lot of degrees tho so if you’re considering doing any maths based degree then I’d do it )

The people who do ab Initio at my school really struggle - I think it’s a step above the English system tbh because the U.K. isn’t great for languages. It’s almost GCSE level but in two years from what I’ve heard - I’d recommend switching to a language you’ve done already!!

The IB is amazing at preparing you for university and you learn so many skills you wouldn’t doing a levels

That being said, A levels are probably the easier choice so I’d only do the IB if you’re really committed to putting in the work now so that the transition to university is easier

Let me know if you want any more info about the Ib and what’s it’s like etc!!!
gideonn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
With maths- Any particular reason why? I’m not really planning to do a maths based degree, just curious as to what the course involves. I also know quite a few unis require/strongly recommend you do Maths for A Level/HL.

With the ab inicio- since I’m doing greek I’m already doing a language in 2 years? I might end up doing Greek for SL instead. I know the British system for learning languages isn’t great :/

I’m good at managing my time and I am willing to work hard- I kinda already am 😂. The course looks really interesting but I guess I’ll see what I end up doing.

Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (164)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (495)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (378)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (471)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (162)
4.81%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (206)
6.11%
Loneliness (286)
8.49%
Financial worries (120)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (135)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (153)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (183)
5.43%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (301)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.35%

Watched Threads