The Student Room Group

portfolio question

If I am applying for a fine art course, and if I include my A-Level graphic works in my portfolio, is it going to be likely to be declined by unis?

Also if I am applying for graphic design and make my portfolio half A Level art works & fine art works and half graphic works is it going to be likely to be declined by unis?
You need to look at the portfolio guidelines for the university and the courses you have applied for. Fine art isn’t going to judge the medium you use but they will expect you to follow the guidelines.
Original post by gdgdgd04i
If I am applying for a fine art course, and if I include my A-Level graphic works in my portfolio, is it going to be likely to be declined by unis?

Also if I am applying for graphic design and make my portfolio half A Level art works & fine art works and half graphic works is it going to be likely to be declined by unis?

Hey there,

Portfolios are there to show off your abilities and skills, and if your A-Level Graphics work demonstrates that, then there should be no issue with you including it. As you're applying to Fine Art, it is best that you make your portfolio largely Fine Art based. However, if you have some really strong design work from your Graphics work, then include it! Fine Art is a very broad subject and encompasses a range of mediums. For example, the BA (Hons) Fine Art students at Plymouth College of Art are able to learn about art practices across 2D, 3D, 4D, and hybrid mediums, such as sound drawing, performance painting, scale sculpture, video, projection mapping, sound, traditional printmaking, welding, mould making, casting, critical and reflective writing. This will be a similar case in most Universities you are applying for, which means that a few pieces of strong graphics work in your portfolio won't disqualify you from entry and only serves to show your range of artistic abilities. Perhaps take the time to look at the work being produced by the students of each University you are applying to and this may help you with deciding what work to include in your portfolio, as it will give you a better idea of what work the students produce.

If you're applying to Graphic Communication/Design, then it would be best to do the reverse and create a largely graphics-based portfolio, with some strong pieces from Fine Art sprinkled in. Essentially, the general rule of thumb would be to include our very best work from the course you're applying for, with some pieces from other subjects that support and enhance your portfolio by demonstrating other skills and interests that are related to your main subject. This may mean creating two different portfolios if you are applying for both Fine Art and Graphics.

I applied to animation without ever having animated before! I had a portfolio consisting of some strong work from A-Level Fine Art, as well as some character/environment designs that I'd created outside of Sixth Form. My portfolio was accepted because I demonstrated good foundational skills that would be needed for the course, such as the ability to draw human form, draw in various styles, and pay attention to colour and composition. As long as your portfolio includes your best work and you show a strong interest and skill in the course you're applying for, then I wouldn't stress about it too much. If you're feeling particularly anxious, then you could always reach out to each University directly and ask if you could speak to some of the Fine Art lecturers to pick their brains for what they want to see in your portfolio.

We also have a portfolio and interview top tips session run online on the 29th March to help applicants with their questions and concerns. It might be worth coming along to this session if you'd like to get some more in-depth advice with your portfolio.

Good luck and please feel free to message again if you have any further questions. Alternatively, you can reach out to some of our current students (including myself) via Unibuddy.
Lauren :smile:
Third Year Animation Student and Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest