Advice on "brain fog"?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm trying to start revision for uni exams and I'm getting far less done than I want to. I don't usually have issues with motivation/drive but I am easily distracted so my work just tends to interweave playing games and watching youtube.

I have this feeling I can't really describe but it's a kind of fog or mental heaviness (???) that's irritating me a lot and causes me to sink a lot of time just daydreaming. Seems to be there independent of how well I've slept, and strangely doesn't seem to effect my abilities. (think I've done exams feeling like this and done fairly well)

I've had this "fog" for as long as I can remember, to be honest, I remember talking to friends about it a year ago. I can't really remember if it was there at school. I'm not really sure what exactly is wrong, it just doesn't feel "right". It clears a bit when I get a rush of motivation, like figuring out a question or something, I think?

The only thing I can think of is bad diet, mainly frozen meals, though quite varied. But would that cause this many issues? Doing pretty well emotionally nowadays so I don't think it's depression-related, nor have I drunk any substantial amount since New Years. Curious if anyone else has had something similar and overcome it, or whether it's likely to be something more complicated that I should talk to someone about. (or indeed, I'm just overthinking it)
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm trying to start revision for uni exams and I'm getting far less done than I want to. I don't usually have issues with motivation/drive but I am easily distracted so my work just tends to interweave playing games and watching youtube.

I have this feeling I can't really describe but it's a kind of fog or mental heaviness (???) that's irritating me a lot and causes me to sink a lot of time just daydreaming. Seems to be there independent of how well I've slept, and strangely doesn't seem to effect my abilities. (think I've done exams feeling like this and done fairly well)

I've had this "fog" for as long as I can remember, to be honest, I remember talking to friends about it a year ago. I can't really remember if it was there at school. I'm not really sure what exactly is wrong, it just doesn't feel "right". It clears a bit when I get a rush of motivation, like figuring out a question or something, I think?

The only thing I can think of is bad diet, mainly frozen meals, though quite varied. But would that cause this many issues? Doing pretty well emotionally nowadays so I don't think it's depression-related, nor have I drunk any substantial amount since New Years. Curious if anyone else has had something similar and overcome it, or whether it's likely to be something more complicated that I should talk to someone about. (or indeed, I'm just overthinking it)
I'm doing my A levels at the moment, year 13, so can sort of relate. This brain 'fog' you're describing sounds a bit like feeling overwhelmed. And the activities you do like daydreaming and watching YouTube sound like procrastination activities.

So, maybe the reason why you're crasting is because you're feeling overwhelmed with your coursework and revision. It's too much.

Another reason could be because you've already thoroughly learnt and understood your course material, so currently feel bored. That's why you're crasting.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by nnth)
I'm doing my A levels at the moment, year 13, so can sort of relate. This brain 'fog' you're describing sounds a bit like feeling overwhelmed. And the activities you do like daydreaming and watching YouTube sound like procrastination activities.

So, maybe the reason why you're crasting is because you're feeling overwhelmed with your coursework and revision. It's too much.

Another reason could be because you've already thoroughly learnt and understood your course material, so currently feel bored. That's why you're crasting.
Thanks for the reply, I think a lot of people seem to relate to the feeling but it hasn't had the effect of completely demotivating me and none of the reasons given on the internet seemed to fit so thought I'd ask here.

Overwhelmed or burnt out makes sense, (had burnout for GCSEs, luckily those didn't matter) I do have pretty high expectations for these exams. It doesn't make as much sense that I felt the same in first year when I didn't have as much work and never ended up going into full revision mode for exams. Often fluctuates through the day too.

I need to change my sleep schedule anyway to wake up for 9am exams (atm I sleep like 4-12, 5-2, etc.) so I guess I can be more certain it's not that. Definitely haven't thoroughly understood my course material lol. I think I'd be able to do at least half of questions in past papers reasonably confidently but I want it to be a lot higher than that to be at ease!
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
Hey, I feel you... spent most of this year lying down wanting so desperately to do stuff but my body kept stopping me if that makes sense. I'm a final year student as well and getting lost in the youtube wormhole is not conducive to getting a good degree lol. So urm yes I have completely overcome it, I tried everything that the wellness brigade told me (yoga, mindfulness and better diet) but these never became habits cus cba...

The only thing I've found has helped is taking a brain supplement - I take them from this company called Brainzyme and I'm not kidding they've changed the game for me. They literally just contain stuff that your brain needs to focus and be motivated (I'm not a scientist just a mere Philosophy undergrad) but I've had 0 side effects (cus they're just vitamins essentially) haha. Highly highly recommend.

The other thing is eating 3 meals a day - with stress this was a hard one for me but I feel soooo much better when I do and also wake up at the same time each day but know your body. I know that my ultimate focus time is 9-1 so i make sure I'm up and ready to concentrate for then - take 2 of the supplements before and just seize the day.

Good luck with everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (4)
22.22%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (7)
38.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
11.11%

Watched Threads