Disabled students allowance help

Watch
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m in the process of getting a diagnosis for what I believe is high functioning autism, previously known as Aspergers.

I know that (once diagnosed) I am technically eligible for dsa but I can’t think of a single need I have that would actually incur a cost. Aside from requiring an en-suite room (which I believe the uni covers the cost difference of) It’s all just support within uni such as an orientation day, no large group presentations etc
So is it worth me applying given that my needs don’t incur a cost?
And do I need to apply for dsa in order to get the support once I’m at uni?

Anecdotes from someone else who has this diagnosis and applied for dsa would be greatly appreciated
TiffSlade
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi,

I also have a condition that allows me to apply for DSA. At first, I wasn't sure it would help, however, when I met the assessors they provided me with equipment that I didn't know was available to help me until someone told me. In particular, you might find some of the software they have available useful. At a minimum, it is useful for the assessors to discuss procedures that may be useful to be in place for you for the university to input as they can often help with this. Some universities require DSA to provide support and some don't this depends on the university and you would have to check with them. I am, in fact an ex-support worker for autistic individuals including those with Aspergers and university support was often necessary for them and whilst I wouldn't generalise that you will definitely need support as I don't know how it affects you personally, I do know that many individuals get to university and realise they need more support than they thought and that if you don't apply before you get to university it can take a long time to input once you are there. I hope that helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
FerrousS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It may still be worth applying. The assessor can also help advise you on what support you would benefit from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads