Any Mature Students at UAL? I'm 25, lively and wondering about accommodation...

Watch
wynnie_96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm still waiting to receive my offer but I wanted to know if there are any slightly older students and what they are thinking about doing for accommodation?
HelpItsUrgent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi ! I’ve got an interview with them soon. Have you done it? How was it if you have? And I’m 20.. but will be 21 in October so not technically a mature student, but since I’m 2 school years older than the majority of people joining uni now I’d count myself as a mature student. What are you studying? I’ve decided to live at home and commute into London for whatever uni I go to because I’m living with my partner but also even if I didn’t, I think I’d find the accommodation, being older, maybe a little awkward ?... I don’t know for sure but the students would be in my younger brothers age group and I’d personally find it awkward at first, but I’m happy to get to know everyone for classes and things
Last edited by HelpItsUrgent; 4 weeks ago
makikooni
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am 24 this year, renting privately with my partner in London as I was living here already for a few years. Money-wise you can find cheaper accommodations than the one provided by UAL if you have strength to deal with landlords and flatmates.
lafontaine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hiii, i am still waiting to hear back too. i am 23 and i am planning to find private accommodation, as i am not sure if i want to house with younger students haha. how about you?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm 24 and was planning on looking into private accommodation options! Maybe private halls or studios? I'd love to be friends with classmates of any age but I'm worried that living with a group of much younger people 24/7 might be a challenge. I know there are some universities that offer dedicated halls for mature students, but haven't been able to find anything of the sort for UAL yet.
wynnie_96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 24 and was planning on looking into private accommodation options! Maybe private halls or studios? I'd love to be friends with classmates of any age but I'm worried that living with a group of much younger people 24/7 might be a challenge. I know there are some universities that offer dedicated halls for mature students, but haven't been able to find anything of the sort for UAL yet.
Same, I'll make friends with all ages but I'm hoping to share with other mature students tbh!
I want the experience of living with people who are also studying but just closer in age because I can't deal with sharing a kitchen with messy 18 year olds!
What course did you apply for? Have you heard back yet?
wynnie_96
Rep:
?
(Original post by HelpItsUrgent)
Hi ! I’ve got an interview with them soon. Have you done it? How was it if you have? And I’m 20.. but will be 21 in October so not technically a mature student, but since I’m 2 school years older than the majority of people joining uni now I’d count myself as a mature student. What are you studying? I’ve decided to live at home and Nocommute into London for whatever uni I go to because I’m living with my partner but also even if I didn’t, I think I’d find the accommodation, being older, maybe a little awkward ?... I don’t know for sure but the students would be in my younger brothers age group and I’d personally find it awkward at first, but I’m happy to get to know everyone for classes and things
No interview yet, haven't heard back anything at all yet!
I am hoping to study cosmetic science, what about you?
Where's home for you? that sounds like a good option!
Orphelium
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I’m still preparing my application (it’s due in May and I’m doing my best to not procrastinate til then). I actually studied abroad at LCC for a year and stayed in halls. I made a few friends I’ve since lost touch with but I was worried going in as I was at least 2 years older than everyone. I plan on getting non-UAL accommodation, since living with younger students made for a weird dynamic. Idk, I’m weird about age unless someone is quite mature
charlieexxx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi
Yes, I’m 26 and applying for a MA. My interview is on 31st March!!
wynnie_96
Rep:
?
Good luck to everyone, let us know if you get in :-)
I hope to find private accommodation with other older students who know how to wash up haha but I don't want to miss out on the fun!!
Maybe there is accommodation for mature students but in the same student accommodation blocks? that would be ideal
lafontaine
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by wynnie_96)
Good luck to everyone, let us know if you get in :-)
I hope to find private accommodation with other older students who know how to wash up haha but I don't want to miss out on the fun!!
Maybe there is accommodation for mature students but in the same student accommodation blocks? that would be ideal
hey! i ended up receiving an offer for LCC. i am hoping to find private accommodation with older students but i don't even know where to start haha, glad we have this thread though
wynnie_96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lafontaine)
hey! i ended up receiving an offer for LCC. i am hoping to find private accommodation with older students but i don't even know where to start haha, glad we have this thread though
Congratulations!!
What are you studying?
If i get an offer, I'm going to ring around the local student accommodations and ask if they have 'mature' student floors or flats or whatever.
If they don't they should.
I am reluctant to rent privately because some landlords in private accommodation are just headache, also I do not want to isolate myself.
Same, lets keep it alive, it may prove helpful
mandyw*
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've received an offer into the MA Film program! I just turned 29 - gross ha- so I'd say mature. I was just doing some research yesterday on student accommodation studios vs cost of apartments or studios near by.
simsimmabimma
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm starting an MA program this fall and I've been stressing about accommodation lol. I'm 22 and don't really want to share a bathroom or kitchen with anyone let alone an 18 yr old. I'm definitely looking at studios in private accommodation. The one that's caught my eye is IQ Hammersmith, but I'm still looking. Have you looked at any of the serviced apartments in London? I know there are quite a few around the city, and all bills are included like private halls. I would go that route but I'm an international student so it's a bit more difficult.
LaurenA264
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm still waiting to receive my offer but I wanted to know if there are any slightly older students and what they are thinking about doing for accommodation?
Im coming from Australia and am doing the grad dip of fashion design technology at LCF.... im only 24, and never had the true uni/dorm life at my first degree, so am thinking about looking into halls. I feel like its an easy way to meet people but am worried ill be sharing it with 18-20 year olds who have never done a degree & dont know when to stop partying haha. Ive heard the uni itself isnt quite social, so im definitely looking at housing options that provide that. I'm looking for the larger rooms in the halls though (just for fashion degrees you need space), and id like a studio but itd be $$$. Private share houses sound great but also worried that its going to be hard to organize from Australia.....
Elmcarter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm also waiting for my offer - I'm just going to find a large warehouse to live in otherwise very limited living space. Message me if you would like
Elmcarter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm also waiting for my offer - I'm just going to find a large warehouse to live in otherwise very limited living space.
roenais
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'll be 23 in september and I'm torn between dorms and private accommodations tbh. I'm from a rural area so both options sound suoer exciting to me, but it's all so expensive . Leaning slightly towards dorms just to get that true university experience though, even if just for the first year.
lafontaine
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Congratulations!!
What are you studying?
If i get an offer, I'm going to ring around the local student accommodations and ask if they have 'mature' student floors or flats or whatever.
If they don't they should.
I am reluctant to rent privately because some landlords in private accommodation are just headache, also I do not want to isolate myself.
Same, lets keep it alive, it may prove helpful
thank you so much! i am going to study MA arts & lifestyle journalism
sounds like a plan. i am an international student so i have never dealt with london landlords (and i don't want to be lonely lol), so i am trying to decide what to do for accommodation.
yes, let's keep this thread alive!
charlieexxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lafontaine)
thank you so much! i am going to study MA arts & lifestyle journalism
sounds like a plan. i am an international student so i have never dealt with london landlords (and i don't want to be lonely lol), so i am trying to decide what to do for accommodation.
yes, let's keep this thread alive!
Congratulations on your offer! Where are you from, if I might ask? I’m an international applicant as well - I’m from Germany. Had my interview on Wednesday and am pretty confident I’ll get an offer, it was really good.

I definitely don’t want to do uni halls. I’m 26 and just over that 🤭 I’m looking for a flat share, something in Battersea would be nice I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
19.1%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.33%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.78%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.84%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.09%
Taster lectures or seminars (76)
21.35%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.75%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (15)
4.21%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.65%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.25%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.97%

Watched Threads