BlackLab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After much thought and rethought I think I have finally chosen my S6 options, hoping to apply for Civil Engineering MEng. My top choice Uni would be Strathclyde.

S5 I am studying Higher Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English, French and targeting AAAAA/AAAAB.

S6 choices I am taking AH Maths, AH Physics and Higher Geography (crash) as relevant to Civil Engineering. All of which I am looking forward to doing.

The columns that are left have very limited options. The only subject I can pick up from NAT5 to Higher is PE, which I would like to do as a balance between science/academic and wellbeing/other interest. Alternatively I could take a crash in Higher Graphic Communications, Biology or Admin & IT.

If I am aiming for Civil Engineering, would taking PE Higher, which has no relation to engineering, in S6 be seen negatively?
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you have met all the entry requirements, in terms of subjects and grades needed, I don't think they care about the other subjects, and it won't be seen negatively.
snazzles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll have met the requirements already so the final subject is pretty much just up to your personal preference.

I'm currently studying general engineering and I've found that my background knowledge in Graphic Communication (there's been a fair amount of CAD and technical drawings), as well as Computing Science (we've been coding in python, MATLAB, and C) have been really useful as some others in my course without that background have struggled a little.

Assuming you have a decent personal statement, I'd say an offer from Strathclyde is pretty much guarenteed and it'd be very suprising if they conditioned you on the subject you're still choosing (it's possible you'll get an unconditional though).

Basically do the subject you'll find most enjoyable - I'd recommend Graphics since it may help you in the course, but if you think you might struggle a bit with advanced highers (AH physics is a beast and AH maths ain't exactly easy) then just taking a N5 might be best.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
After much thought and rethought I think I have finally chosen my S6 options, hoping to apply for Civil Engineering MEng. My top choice Uni would be Strathclyde.

S5 I am studying Higher Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English, French and targeting AAAAA/AAAAB.

S6 choices I am taking AH Maths, AH Physics and Higher Geography (crash) as relevant to Civil Engineering. All of which I am looking forward to doing.

The columns that are left have very limited options. The only subject I can pick up from NAT5 to Higher is PE, which I would like to do as a balance between science/academic and wellbeing/other interest. Alternatively I could take a crash in Higher Graphic Communications, Biology or Admin & IT.

If I am aiming for Civil Engineering, would taking PE Higher, which has no relation to engineering, in S6 be seen negatively?
Hey BlackLab Glad to hear you're considering studying at Strathclyde!

As a few people have mentioned above, if you tick the important boxes for our Engineering admissions then that's key. For the MEng Civil Engineering we look for AAAA/AAABB (Higher Maths A, or alternatively Higher Maths B, supported with another science at A/B) so it sounds like you're working along the right lines for your S5. Seeing that you've got your Physics in there alongside your Maths is fab, as that's really relevant

I think the fact you have your AH Maths and AH Physics is perfect, although not a strict requirement they will help set you up nicely for your first year. I can see why you'd go for Geography too so that's great! If you need to pick another subject then don't worry about making it relevant to Civil Engineering, as we're focusing more on the Maths/Science requirements you're hopefully going to achieve this year. I think Higher Graphic Communications is a good pick, but we wouldn't view your Higher PE in a negative light. If you want to take Higher PE and will enjoy it, I say go for it! Especially as you say, it'll give you a chance to balance out your intense AHs and do something to prioritise your own interests and wellbeing. S6 is a great opportunity to take advantage of that knowing that you've done your best in S5 to get the required Highers.

Keep working hard this year and next, and you'll set yourself up well for a conditional/unconditional offer!

Hope that helps! Pop me a message anytime if you want to chat about anything.
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
BlackLab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey BlackLab Glad to hear you're considering studying at Strathclyde!

As a few people have mentioned above, if you tick the important boxes for our Engineering admissions then that's key. For the MEng Civil Engineering we look for AAAA/AAABB (Higher Maths A, or alternatively Higher Maths B, supported with another science at A/B) so it sounds like you're working along the right lines for your S5. Seeing that you've got your Physics in there alongside your Maths is fab, as that's really relevant

I think the fact you have your AH Maths and AH Physics is perfect, although not a strict requirement they will help set you up nicely for your first year. I can see why you'd go for Geography too so that's great! If you need to pick another subject then don't worry about making it relevant to Civil Engineering, as we're focusing more on the Maths/Science requirements you're hopefully going to achieve this year. I think Higher Graphic Communications is a good pick, but we wouldn't view your Higher PE in a negative light. If you want to take Higher PE and will enjoy it, I say go for it! Especially as you say, it'll give you a chance to balance out your intense AHs and do something to prioritise your own interests and wellbeing. S6 is a great opportunity to take advantage of that knowing that you've done your best in S5 to get the required Highers.

Keep working hard this year and next, and you'll set yourself up well for a conditional/unconditional offer!

Hope that helps! Pop me a message anytime if you want to chat about anything.
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thanks everyone, especially Caitlin from Strathclyde uni, for the advice.

Forms are now in, only one that might be a problem is crash higher geography if the classes are full. Fingers crossed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (139)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (427)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (325)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (405)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (132)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (176)
6.08%
Loneliness (248)
8.57%
Financial worries (106)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (118)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (155)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (257)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (273)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed