Green Party peer calls for ALL MEN to face a 6pm CURFEW

Watch
Poll: Should there be a 6pm curfew for all men?
Yes (3)
9.68%
No (28)
90.32%
GodAtum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Men should be banned from being outdoors after 6pm to 'make women a lot safer' after the abduction and suspected murder of Sarah Everard in London, a Green Party peer has suggested.Baroness Jones made the comment in a discussion in the House of Lords during a debate on domestic violence.The issue of women's safety has been again thrust into the spotlight following the disappearance of 33-year-old Ms Everard as she walked home to Brixton from her friend's home in Clapham, south-west London, on March 3.Met Commissioner Cressida **** revealed last night that human remains were found in the week-long search for the marketing executive in woodland near Ashford in Kent.A serving Metropolitan Police officer, Wayne Couzens, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and abduction and is being questioned by detectives.Speaking in the House of Lords last night Baroness Jones, a mother of two daughters, said: 'In the week that Sarah Everard was abducted and, we suppose, killed—because remains have been found in a woodland in Kent — I argue that, at the next opportunity for any Bill that is appropriate, I might put in an amendment to create a curfew for men on the streets after 6 pm.'I feel this would make women a lot safer, and discrimination of all kinds would be lessened.'
So do you agree, and how enforcable will it be?
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Firstly how on earth the Green Party managed to get a peer in there in the first place is astounding. But secondly, and more importantly... what a truly remarkable thing for someone to suggest.

Let’s just imagine for one second if we reversed the genders of this comment.
kalesa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is talk in parliament for all men to have a curfew of 6pm. This means any man out by himself or with other men has to be home by this time in the winter and in the summer he has to be home before dark.

This is to prevent men being on the streets by themselves and causing any hassle to women. Is this fair, how do you feel about this, how does it affect both genders?
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely absurd.

It's funny how the Left constantly spotlight discrimination or inequality as a major problem, yet many of their policies revolve around further discrimination and inequality.

Imagine if following an ISIS terror attack in the UK, we suggest all Muslims must not leave the house between certain times or must not travel to certain areas. That would initiate riots. Yet following the actions of one man, somebody suggests all men should not leave the house between certain times, that is completely acceptable?!
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Green Party, talking shite since 1990.
GodAtum
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
Imagine if following an ISIS terror attack in the UK, we suggest all Muslims must not leave the house between certain times or must not travel to certain areas. That would initiate riots. Yet following the actions of one man, somebody suggests all men should not leave the house between certain times, that is completely acceptable?!
Imagine one year a virus spread throughout the population and the police fined disabled people for not wearing face coverings.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And this is why the Green Party has never and will never be in power, they are ****ing nuts.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nothing like some attention-seeking nonsense from a fringe party.
Wanttobreakfree
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely absurd.

It's funny how the Left constantly spotlight discrimination or inequality as a major problem, yet many of their policies revolve around further discrimination and inequality.

You should ask if me as a leftist progressive actually agrees with this instead of creating a hyper generalisation fallacy. Then you'd come to realise that we're not quite the esoteric all encompassing monolithic structure you like to lazily attempt to portray us as. I don't agree with this by the way. Just seems like a lazy way to address sexual harassment regardless of which gender and is counter-productive to Green's as a party. It's also just a ridiculous short-sighted policy in general.
Last edited by Wanttobreakfree; 4 weeks ago
kalesa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are many white knights signing up for this
Euroliberal
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is an obvious exaggeration from the Green peer that intended this exact response.

A ‘curfew for men’ if implied literally would be a stupid idea that I doubt anyone truly supports.

I think the point in saying ‘curfew for men’ however is a more figurative way of, rightly, saying that it should be men who have to take responsibility for sexual crimes and not women, as men are almost always the perpetrators.

Women are under an unofficial curfew in that they are told to not/too scared to go out late at night in fear of being sexually assaulted. This is wrong and punishes victims for crimes, not perpetrators.

I feel that ‘curfew for men’ is not something to be taken at face value, more a figurative response designed to shock and alert to the fact that women are having to propose extreme measures as they are tired of having to put up with this ****.
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wanttobreakfree)
You should ask if me as a leftist progressive actually agrees with this instead of creating a hyper generalisation fallacy. Then you'd come to realise that we're not quite the esoteric all encompassing monolithic structure you like to lazily attempt to portray us as. I don't agree with this by the way. Just seems like a lazy way to address sexual harassment regardless of which gender and is counter-productive to Green's as a party. It's also just a ridiculous short-sighted policy in general.
I appreciate that - and agree that this policy is beyond absurd - however "leftist progressives" like you describe yourself generally do (inadvertently or not) respond to issues of discrimination or inequality with further discrimination or inequality in my view.

Take for example Sadiq Khan's solution to tackling a lack of diversity in the Met Police following last year's BLM events. His solution to the lack of diversity was simply to propose a quota (40% iirc) of BAME recruits which had to be met regardless of skills or competance. This policy would discriminate against white applicants, despite the aim of tackling perceived discrimination.

Generally excluding people from certain things is not the best approach to tackling a problem.
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I appreciate that - and agree that this policy is beyond absurd - however "leftist progressives" like you describe yourself generally do (inadvertently or not) respond to issues of discrimination or inequality with further discrimination or inequality in my view.

Take for example Sadiq Khan's solution to tackling a lack of diversity in the Met Police following last year's BLM events. His solution to the lack of diversity was simply to propose a quota (40% iirc) of BAME recruits which had to be met regardless of skills or competance. This policy would discriminate against white applicants, despite the aim of tackling perceived discrimination.

Generally excluding people from certain things is not the best approach to tackling a problem.
Leftist progressives again aren't monolith so you immediately need to get the idea out of your head that they are. Sadiq Khan is hardly left. Liberal yes, but not left. The Labour party over time has become all, but name only. It's predominantly being run into the ground by self-serving neo-liberals that merely want to placate the status quo cause they don't want to upset their donors. (private corporate entities and monopolies) It's why they conspired to get Corbyn and his Cabinet out cause he was making Labour a working-class party again. Every time I argue with a Conservative it's quite clear that they either don't know what words mean and or simply worse refuse to learn what words mean. Which I'd say if you don't know something well enough ask before making hasty generalisations. You hate this vague abstract metaphysical existence of: 'The Left' as the right wing be it Tories and or outright fascists gas-light/lie to you every single day. With all this said if you truly appreciate it prove it to me by learning from your own mistake and demonstrating your clear political ignorance.
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Leftist progressives again aren't monolith so you immediately need to get the idea out of your head that they are. Sadiq Khan is hardly left. Liberal yes, but not left. The Labour party over time has become all, but name only. It's predominantly being run into the ground by self-serving neo-liberals.
Quite possibly, yet a significant number of those who identify themselves as 'leftist progressives' do seemingly support such exclusionary measures. I'm not saying anybody who is left-wing must support a certain stance, yet shifting the discrimination from one group to another appears to be a recurring theme.
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Quite possibly, yet a significant number of those who identify themselves as 'leftist progressives' do seemingly support such exclusionary measures. I'm not saying anybody who is left-wing must support a certain stance, yet shifting the discrimination from one group to another appears to be a recurring theme.
Show me the statistics on that please. Seems more to me you're just consuming a lot of reactionary content online that cherry-pick inexperienced people with politics whether they be either liberal and or left then view an entire swatch of the political spectrum as a all encompassing monolith comparable to that cherry-picked representation. This is literally one MP and you're extending it to: 'The Left' broadly as a whole. Which is illogical.
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Show me the statistics on that please. Seems more to me you're just consuming a lot of reactionary content online that cherry-pick inexperienced people with politics whether they be either liberal and or left then view an entire swatch of the political spectrum as a all encompassing monolith comparable to that check-picked representation. This is literally one MP and you're extending it to: 'The Left' broadly as a whole. Which is illogical.
You could use that argument against the Right - as soon as you identify as right-wing people make the assumption that you're anti-immigration, pro-tradition, pro-tough law and order or pro-business. These are sweeping assumptions made just like there are sweeping assumptions made against the Left. Of course not every right-wing or left-wing voter fits into the assumed mould, yet a great number of them do (hence the assumption). As I said this is my opinion, based on anecdotal evidence and not statistical evidence, so I'm not seeking clarification.
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could use that argument against the Right - as soon as you identify as right-wing people make the assumption that you're anti-immigration, pro-tradition, pro-tough law and order or pro-business. These are sweeping assumptions made just like there are sweeping assumptions made against the Left. Of course not every right-wing or left-wing voter fits into the assumed mould, yet a great number of them do (hence the assumption). As I said this is my opinion, based on anecdotal evidence and not statistical evidence, so I'm not seeking clarification.
No you can't cause the right always coerce around authority of the state. This includes Tankies who I don't consider to be on the left in any measurable sense outside that of purely aesthetics. Pro tough law what like calling our Supreme Court judges lefty do-gooders? It's not assumption right wingers for the most part are those things and you only have to look at the party's they support in addition to the policies they support. Truth be told the average Conservative hasn't a clue what is actually being put through government. (Snooper's Charter, Spy Cops and Bed Room tax the attempt recent removal of the 48 work hour limit this year shortly after Brexit rolled into play.) Now not every right winger is like this that's true, but throughout history whereas the left has stood against authority and tradition the right have ran towards it. Lastly appealing to anecdote is a logical fallacy. Yeah Brexit was so pro-business right oh no wait a minute Boris Johnson said: '**** Business' didn't he? If you even want to be begin debating me you best be sure you know what you're talking about before hand.
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No you can't cause the right coerce with authority of the state. This includes Tankies who I don't consider to be on the left in any measurable sense outside that of purely aesthetics. Pro tough law what like calling our Supreme Court judges lefty do-gooders? It's not assumption right wingers for the most part are those things and you only have to look at the party's they support in addition to the policies they support. Truth be told the average Conservative hasn't a clue what is actually being put through government. (Snooper's Charter, Spy Cops and Bed Room tax the attempt recent removal of the 48 work hour limit.) Now not every right winger is like this that's true, but throughout history whereas the left has stood against authority and tradition the right have ran towards it. Lastly appealing to anecdote is a logical fallacy. Yeah Brexit was so pro-business right oh no wait a minute Boris Johnson said: '**** Business' didn't he? If you even want to be begin debating me you best be sure you know what you're talking about before hand.
It's a good job I'm not looking for a debate then - my view that the Left amplify discrimination is not something I need clarifying nor disproving.

The fact you term the phrase "average Conservative" implies that there must be an average stance on the opposite side of the spectrum. That average stance on the Left is what I believe is amplifying the discrimination.
Wanttobreakfree
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a good job I'm not looking for a debate then - my view that the Left amplify discrimination is not something I need clarifying nor disproving.

The fact you term the phrase "average Conservative" implies that there must be an average stance on the opposite side of the spectrum. That average stance on the Left is what I believe is amplifying the discrimination.
It's a fact that the average Conservative is ignorant and that's not fault of their own as such but the deliberate opportunistic systemic undermining of society made them this way; make no mistake it's the right wing design. I don't blame you for that. I blame the system that failed you. Why on Earth do you think a lot of right wing pundits and politicians are trying state enforce Capitalism in schools and attempting to putting state bans on literature against it? Why do you think it's a common talking point for these opportunists to make people like you see educational institutions as a plot of conspiracy where the oh so tolerant right are being: 'silenced?' Cause they want you to see education as a monolith where you'll then side more with increasing corrupt oligarchs as each freedom you hold dear is gradually boiled away in a pot of frogs. The real truth is the right wing elites want to keep you ignorant, stupid and angry at scapegoats.
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lmao conservatives are taking this **** seriously? "hur hur the left hates men" you mean a candidate from a fringe party in a country that is foreign to most people on the left said something (i'd assume) for shock value? how surprising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (67)
18.93%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.41%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.8%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.85%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.11%
Taster lectures or seminars (75)
21.19%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.88%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (15)
4.24%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.67%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.26%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.98%

Watched Threads