The Student Room Group

North West England F1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I am not a big fan of Salford myself apparently it is a great hospital and friendly environment but quite competitive too.
MRI doesn't seem to have a good reputation amongst Manchester grads either!
I'm considering Wythenshaw, Bolton and Pennine but not sure if my score is good enough for the first two!
What about you? Are you more interested in jobs or location?

Ive decided to prioritise jobs, so gonna aim for Pennine since they have A+E for everyone in F2. I'm hoping to go locum in Australia / NZ for a year for F3, and A+E is apparently the best and easiest to find locum work in over there.
I've also been talking to some doctors I know in Manchester and apparently the A+E in Fairfield is amazing and super well supported - a couple people I know there who've worked in Fairfield have said its their favourite hospital by far, which further solidifies my choice of Pennine.

I think for you, its definitely worth trying out for Wythenshaw and Bolton if you're interested I feel like a lot of people wont put them just because their scores were high last year, and will miss out when they could have gotten them this year. Only thing is - with Wythenshaw, they've put in North Manchester General into the mix - so if you put Manchester uni trusts with Wythenshaw first, be prepared that you might get sent to North Manchester instead.
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience during past placements! I am hoping that during foundation training people will be a bit less competitive/toxic and a bit more friendly/understanding since we are all in it together in a way. But I get exactly what you mean, it's so much better being in a friendly environment both in terms of work efficiency and psychologically.

So I think people who studied in Liverpool and get allocated to Warrington/Whiston tend to stay in Liverpool during foundation, and vice versa if they studied in Manchester. People from other med schools that end up in those hospitals can sort of choose between the two cities based on personal factors - or I knew of a person a few years back who was based in Whiston and lived in Manchester for the first year and then moved to Liverpool for the second year. I do agree that in places like Warrington/Whiston/Chester/Southport people will live all over the place and won't be able to meet up as often as people in more remote places but I suppose the distance between Manchester and Liverpool is short enough that you can meet up with friends/colleagues in either city for a drink or a meal when you are all available. Another thing to think about is how important it is to you to be in a big city like Liverpool/Manchester with quite a few activities going on or in a smaller town where things like going on hikes or meeting up in the local pub are more popular. I am not the biggest fan of Arrowe Park only because it's on the other side of Mersey and I am not the biggest fan of the traffic in the tunnel. That being said a friend of a friend is currently doing FY1 there and she seems to be enjoying herself and even recommending the hospital to other final years.

In terms of nights I think Chester and maybe Macclesfield (though don't quote me on that) only have twilight shifts for FY1s. I shadows an FY1 for her twilight shift once and I think it was between 5pm-12am. I get what you mean about nights though my friend in Chester seems to prefer that she doesn't have to nights but dunno if it will be beneficial in the long term as you've said. Yeah, she was initially put off by the distance to the big cities too - although now she seems to be enjoying the small town vibe of Morecambe and all the walks she gets to go to the lake district being so close to her.

I got North West too which I am so so happy about! I am leaning towards Manchester hospitals at the moment just for a bit of change really but don't know enough about them to be able to make a decision within the next few days!

Thank you; I hope so too! But I guess there will always be people like that no matter where I go, so it's just growing thick skin and knowing how to deal with the situation right.
That makes sense about those that got whiston/warrington. I'm glad your friend is enjoying the small town vibe of Morecambe! I managed to speak to a freind of a friend who was there too and he actually enjoys it!

Aw, congratulations for getting into NorthWest and Im so glad you are very happy and please about it! I udnerstand it can be so scary not knowing about hospitals in different cities. I lived in Manchester last year for intercalation and I really enjoyed living there; however I don't know much about the hopsitals there itself but I've heard from a nurse working in Wythenshawe saying that its a great hospital! I hope you get the hospital you preferred, and if you have any questions on the social aspect/living area of Manchester let me know as I may be able to give some insights about the city itself! So excited for you :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jrmedic2021s
I'm currently debating whether to go for a better hospital, or go for a track I want. Having a hard time deciding :confused: you?

I've heard different things from different people but for me I think tracking might be important because I do want to make sure I enjoy my rotations and help me gain experiences I wanted to prepare for the future (I consider going into internal medicine so really don't want a lot of surgery or pyschiatry). My friend who is a CT1 said that it's good to consider your score against the previous scores in each hospital. Let's say I get into the Royal liverpool; I would probably have no chance of getting the jobs I wanted because I already ranked so low in the whole of Northwest, but If i apply for less competitive hospitals such as Blackpool I may do have some chances. I've heard blackpool and morecambe are great hospital for trainings.

I would go on the score distrubution of 2021 and look at your deciles and try calculate the potential hopsital you could end up! For me I already have a feeling I'll either get Preston, Crewe, blackpool, morecambe, or Isle of Man from the trends of the previous 3 years:frown:

I also was told that it depends on which kind of hospital environment you prefer; DGH or tertiary :smile: Hopefully that will help narrow your options down?

It's so stressful isn't it, especially we need to rank them by Wednesday :frown:
Original post by skatergalxx
I've heard different things from different people but for me I think tracking might be important because I do want to make sure I enjoy my rotations and help me gain experiences I wanted to prepare for the future (I consider going into internal medicine so really don't want a lot of surgery or pyschiatry). My friend who is a CT1 said that it's good to consider your score against the previous scores in each hospital. Let's say I get into the Royal liverpool; I would probably have no chance of getting the jobs I wanted because I already ranked so low in the whole of Northwest, but If i apply for less competitive hospitals such as Blackpool I may do have some chances. I've heard blackpool and morecambe are great hospital for trainings.

I would go on the score distrubution of 2021 and look at your deciles and try calculate the potential hopsital you could end up! For me I already have a feeling I'll either get Preston, Crewe, blackpool, morecambe, or Isle of Man from the trends of the previous 3 years:frown:

I also was told that it depends on which kind of hospital environment you prefer; DGH or tertiary :smile: Hopefully that will help narrow your options down?

It's so stressful isn't it, especially we need to rank them by Wednesday :frown:

Thank you for the reply! Yeah this is true and is whats putting me off going for the more competitive ones which have higher score requirements. I feel like getting a job you want and enjoying it in any hospitals, is better than getting a job you hate at a shiny fancy hospital.

If it makes you feel better - Preston and Blackpool seem to consistently get positive reviews and are decently well supported. I've not heard much about Crewe or Morecambe bay, but I'm sure they're great as well.
The main thing I've heard from most F1/F2s is that if you want a DGH, they're all pretty much the same and all of them have their own pros and cons, so it doesn't really matter where you end up. If anything, going for the slightly less competitive ones might be better because you have more opportunities for expanding on your portfolio and there's more to do in those, in terms of both CV building stuff and clinical skills. Isle of Man, whilst it is Isle of Man, is supposedly an amazing hospital for F1 because its so well supported and they go out of their way to help out their F1s and get them onto various audits, publications, teaching opportunities etc.

Are there any jobs you're trying to aim for, specifically?
Anyone have any insight into what St Helen's is like? Heard good things about Whiston Hospital, anyone able to corroborate?
Hi guys I dont’t have much choices with my score but I’m trying to rank all of the hospital still. Could anyone give me insight about Southport and Ormskirk hospital?
Are the patients quite diverse and is it good teaching? Many thanks!
Original post by Babtisababt
Hi guys I dont’t have much choices with my score but I’m trying to rank all of the hospital still. Could anyone give me insight about Southport and Ormskirk hospital?
Are the patients quite diverse and is it good teaching? Many thanks!

I'm from the NW (and grew up close to both these hospitals) and have put them very low down on my list. They have a bad reputation wrt patient care. I'm not sure what the experiences of doctors is there, but I'm not keen on them at all.
I see, thank you so much...i had a small rotation for psych around there and I just didn’t really fancy the vibe of the outside of the hospital but again I shouldnt judge book by its cover. I also did hear that it can be quiet and lots of elderly population in the hospital is that correct?
Original post by Penneandthejets
Anyone have any insight into what St Helen's is like? Heard good things about Whiston Hospital, anyone able to corroborate?

From a medical student's perspective Whiston is very popular and quite a few medical students from Liverpool chose Whiston to start their career in last year. There's good teaching, friendly staff, close to both Manchester and Liverpool so you can stay in either city (although if you getting the train it's an uphill walk from the train station to the hospital). I have a few friends there from F3s, F2s and F1s and they all seem to be enjoying it. Though they did have quite rough time with the last COVID wave but I'm hoping that won't be an issue for us!
From a medical student's perspective Whiston is very popular and quite a few medical students from Liverpool chose Whiston to start their career in last year. There's good teaching, friendly staff, close to both Manchester and Liverpool so you can stay in either city (although if you getting the train it's an uphill walk from the train station to the hospital). I have a few friends there from F3s, F2s and F1s and they all seem to be enjoying it. Though they did have quite rough time with the last COVID wave but I'm hoping that won't be an issue for us!

Thanks for your reply, you're a star. I think i'm going to put St Helen's as my top choice :smile: Thinking of living in Liverpool and commuting.
Hello! I’ve been allocated NWE as well, I’m considering Liverpool because coastal. Wondering about royal Liverpool uni hospital and aintree. I know they are both teaching hospitals and there is the teaching be dgh stigma. I would love a social life and to enjoy my time as a doctor with the people I’m working with and I’m wondering whether these are good hospitals and what people have to say about the teams and rotations? Also do you get lost as a number in the crowd or for these hospitals there is a community? Thank you for any help!
anyone know what hospitals are commutable from Bolton particularly via public transport?
ideas of the jobs that people say are complete no no's like avoid t&o at manc etc or are particularly good ?

which hospitals have accomodation?

is there a spreadsheet or info with all hospitals in a list or at least and maybe details like this
what hospitals are included in the trusts too etc
-is something out there like this with this type of info already?

lets get points down so everyone benefits!
Original post by jrmedic2021s
Thank you for the reply! Yeah this is true and is whats putting me off going for the more competitive ones which have higher score requirements. I feel like getting a job you want and enjoying it in any hospitals, is better than getting a job you hate at a shiny fancy hospital.

If it makes you feel better - Preston and Blackpool seem to consistently get positive reviews and are decently well supported. I've not heard much about Crewe or Morecambe bay, but I'm sure they're great as well.
The main thing I've heard from most F1/F2s is that if you want a DGH, they're all pretty much the same and all of them have their own pros and cons, so it doesn't really matter where you end up. If anything, going for the slightly less competitive ones might be better because you have more opportunities for expanding on your portfolio and there's more to do in those, in terms of both CV building stuff and clinical skills. Isle of Man, whilst it is Isle of Man, is supposedly an amazing hospital for F1 because its so well supported and they go out of their way to help out their F1s and get them onto various audits, publications, teaching opportunities etc.

Are there any jobs you're trying to aim for, specifically?

Thats very true! Not gonna lie if I have higher points I still personally wouldn't put Royal Liverpool or MRI as I heard its very busy and I have friends who also said that consultatns usually run a lot of things so F1 don't really get to run their own ward rounds, whereas in Whiston they get to because consultants are not there everyday.

That's great to hear; what about living situation-wise? I just don't know if I should rank DGH near manchester higher than DGH near liverpool. I want to experience more of Manchester but I have a best friend living in Liverpool next year so I don't know what to do. Do you know much of Pennine Acute what are the hospital like?

Jobs wise, I just want to make sure I get emergency as a F2. I'm interested in sexual health or renal medicine but given my score, Preston has 1 track with renal medicine. Since they are internal medicine I don't relaly mind if I don't get it as long as I get emergency though! What about you?
Sorry for posting so much but would really appreciate if anyone could give me insights about the hospitals in Pennine Acute, Southport, Leighton (Mid Cheshire), or East Lancashire please... I don't know these places and I got really low score so I have to really rank them carefully!
Anyone know if you can find the deciles for North West anywhere online?

Theres a really specific track I want at a hospital that last year had a minimum of 81 how likely am I to get it with a score of 85?
Anyone know if you can find the deciles for North West anywhere online?

Theres a really specific track I want at a hospital that last year had a minimum of 81 how likely am I to get it with a score of 85?

How do you find out the minimums for specific tracks?
Also, debating between Royal Liverpool and Arrowe Park/ Wirral- any insights?
Original post by Akanksha Gupta
How do you find out the minimums for specific tracks?
Also, debating between Royal Liverpool and Arrowe Park/ Wirral- any insights?

https://nwpgmd.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Minimum%20%26%20Maximum%20Scores%20-%20Website%202020%20v.1.0.pdf
https://www.nwpgmd.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Minimum%20%26%20Maximum%20Scores%20-%20Website%202019%20v.1.1.pdf
https://www.nwpgmd.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Minimum%20%26%20Maximum%20Scores%20-%20Website%202018%20v.1.1.pdf
https://www.nwpgmd.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Minimum%20%26%20Maximum%20Scores%20-%20Webiste%20v3.pdf

Those are the 2017-2020 minimum scores.
Anyone else reading this, bear in mind if you want a higher score one then just go for it - average this year is lower for North West, and you might as well give it a go if you want a specific hospital / location.
Hi everyone, new to the thread. Didn't do so well on my SJT and hence my FPAS is near the bottom. I'm a Manchester student so can at least help others by providing perspective from inside various different Manchester hospitals. Remember these are my experiences and therefore are not 100% true.

Manchester foundation trust (includes MRI, Wythenshawe & now North Manchester General).
- Wythenshawe is by far the best of the three hospitals in this trio and North Manchester General is notorious for being under supported for junior trainees. It use to be apart of pennine acute but because of performance it was brought under MFT to help it out (so should be better?). MRI has a great mess and experiences vary greatly. In the past FYs have felt under-supported but in my final year all the FYs seem to be enjoying it. The great thing about MRI is it's location and access to the university. I know the University of Manchester now allow for a PRIME qualification in medical education to all foundation years so another incentive. Don't know if this extends to all MFT trainees

Pennine Acute (Oldham + Fairfield)
- According to GMC data it was an excellent hospital to train at but in the recent years overall satisfaction has been declining. However when I was there for A&E and Care of the elderly the F1s seemed ok (bar COVID). The F3s/F4s spoke fondly of their experiences but I didn't hear much +ves from F1s/F2s.
- Had a placement at Fairfield but actually don't remember meeting any F1s and definitely didn't hear any +ves (but GMC data says A&E was good!)

Bolton
THE BEST HOSPITAL FOR FOUNDATION - If you got the score take it! But because of that it is THE most competitive for foundation. Great support, great teaching, opportunities to get involved in QIs/research etc.

Lancashire teaching hospitals (Preston + Chorley)
Consistently has THE BEST satisfactions rates for foundation years (only recently beaten by Bolton). Excellent teaching, great community of F1s/F2s, great supervision and support. This is both said by friends, current F1s and GMC data. The main reason no one chooses it and scores are low is because it is not Manchester. I'll be putting this down for my 1st choice as the score is low but I'll probably end at the bottom end with a rotation I am not so keen on but hey ho, it is great teaching none the less). Medical students get sent here as their base location for Manchester so there are loads opportunities to teach

Salford
Great centre of excellence however extremely manager led. Interests in neuro, derm? There is no better place to be.

Tameside & Glossop
Really bad for patient care however not bad for foundation years interestingly. Had a GP practice in the location and often heard them talking **** about quality of care at Tameside. But FYs all said good things!

I have never been to the other hospitals so I can't say much. If anyone has any knowledge on Blackpool, Morecambe Bay please let me know!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello! I’ve been allocated NWE as well, I’m considering Liverpool because coastal. Wondering about royal Liverpool uni hospital and aintree. I know they are both teaching hospitals and there is the teaching be dgh stigma. I would love a social life and to enjoy my time as a doctor with the people I’m working with and I’m wondering whether these are good hospitals and what people have to say about the teams and rotations? Also do you get lost as a number in the crowd or for these hospitals there is a community? Thank you for any help!

Hey I can't speak from an FY1's perspective but as a medical student, Liverpool has been a wonderful city to live and train in. Except from maybe this year due to COVID I've heard that the royal and aintree are very social and I know that quite often people will go out for meals/drinks together. Obviously, dunno how practical it is for all of them to go to all the social events as they are a big cohort but it's definitely social. Aintree I found more friendly that Royal, but Aintree is still paper based so dunno how you feel about that.

Quick Reply

Latest