The Student Room Group

Binomial Expansion

Hi,

What is part ii asking for?

For part i I have

1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + 20x^4

Scroll to see replies

bi.PNG
I disagree with your x^4 term (although note it's one term beyond the four requested).

For part (ii) they are asking you to state a general term for x^n, based on the pattern emerging from the first four terms.
oh yes thank you, got a bit carried away, do you mean like a geometric progression so X^n = x^n-1? given a = 1, r = X?
Original post by M.Johnson2111
oh yes thank you, got a bit carried away, do you mean like a geometric progression so X^n = x^n-1? given a = 1, r = X?

Not really. The term in x^n will be (something)x^n. The "something" will be dependent in some way on the value of n, according to a pattern you have to recognise from the first few terms.
okay so the number in front of each term increases by one as does the power, n(x^n+1) ?
okay so the number in front of each term increases by one as does the power, n(x^n+1) ?

Yes, that's the term in x^(n + 1), so the term in x^n is......?
x^(n-1)
x^(n-1)

No. the term in x^n will be (something)x^n. You were getting quite close in post #6.
okay since each term is 1n greater,

(n+1) x^(n+1) ?
okay since each term is 1n greater,

(n+1) x^(n+1) ?

No. The term in x^n will be (something)x^n, whereas you have written (something)x^(n+1). The mention of the coefficient being one greater than the power is relevant, though.
oh so (n+1)X^n ?
oh so (n+1)X^n ?

Yep, that's it.
thank you, an @guest2005 no im not actually Im trying quite hard to get an A at least in maths at ALevel and im on target so my question for you is "r u dumb blud" ? :smile:
thank you, an @guest2005 no im not actually Im trying quite hard to get an A at least in maths at ALevel and im on target so my question for you is "r u dumb blud" ? :smile:

seriously tho, im doing GCSEs rn and i can do that bloddy penchaud.
haha itd help if you told me the original language
good for u ?
good for u ?

ikr dumb ass
haha itd help if you told me the original language

I'm sure if u can try hard at getting an A u can try hard and figure out the language
what is ur problem? and who are you, no i cant because i really dont care and I dont think this site is an appropiate place to do whatever youre trying to do

Quick Reply

Latest