The Student Room Group

Whats the difference between an Educational Mental Health Practitioner and a Children

I am looking into post-graduate jobs related to working with children and am aspiring to become either an Educational or CAMHS Clinical Psychologist in the long run.

Looking around I was introduced to the roles of Education Mental Health Practitioner (EMHP) and Children's Wellbeing Practitioner (CWP) - but I can't actually find anything that differentiates them.

If my understanding is correct, in England you also need to complete a pg dip in the subject, but I don't see any courses in Scotland where I am based.

Any and all advice appreciated!
EMHP - Purely focused on school and colleges to increase social mobility and access through psychological support for behaviour, low mood, sleep etc. This is quite a new which is why there isn't much information on it. No professional experience is required to apply to the one year training course.

CWPs - Focused on low-intensity evidence based treatments for things such as anxiety, autism, behavioural difficulties etc. Requires one year worth of training (often based in schools, but not exclusively).

Have you considered the Child Psychotherapist route (as you mentioned wanting to work in CAMHS)?

Hope the above helps in some way?!
Thank you so much for replying!

Yeah, hopefully further along the line I hope to go into either psychologist career.

It's a bit awkward doing career planning as me and my partner are hoping to live in mainland Europe sometime after I have gained some work experience in Scotland where we both live. So I don't really know how the British work titles and post-grad certificates would work when finding jobs abroad...

Quick Reply

Latest