Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello hello!

Was wondering if people would be able to share an example rota for an FY1? How many hours per week?

Would this description mean we won't get day shifts (9-5pm):
'Full shifts until 930pm. Weekend daytime cover. Seven nights as part of Hospital at Night cover.'

Would really appreciate advice on how to adapt to working patterns! Worried about 30-40 minute commutes alongside long hours
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello hello!

Was wondering if people would be able to share an example rota for an FY1? How many hours per week?

Would this description mean we won't get day shifts (9-5pm):
'Full shifts until 930pm. Weekend daytime cover. Seven nights as part of Hospital at Night cover.'

Would really appreciate advice on how to adapt to working patterns! Worried about 30-40 minute commutes alongside long hours
The majority of your shifts will still be 9-5.

The average hours will be 40 - 48 hours, and how much you are paid depends on how much unsocial hours you work (if it's not in England, then there'll be a universal banding if you work on-calls).

There will be frequent on-calls though, again it depends on your rota and in my experience it worked out on average of one long day per week, and a few nights every month.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
The majority of your shifts will still be 9-5.
Thank you! So if it doesn't mention weekday day shifts in the job description that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you! So if it doesn't mention weekday day shifts in the job description that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any?
What rotation is this? Is it something like A&E, acute medical unit cover or just a specialty job (e.g. Respiratory, Upper GI surgery etc.)?

There are some weird rotations whereby you may not ever work 9-5, e.g. A&E but these are vanishingly rare.

I suspect that it's just that 9-5 is "the basic" so they didn't bother mentioning it.
Anonymous #1
What rotation is this? Is it something like A&E, acute medical unit cover or just a specialty job (e.g. Respiratory, Upper GI surgery etc.)?

There are some weird rotations whereby you may not ever work 9-5, e.g. A&E but these are vanishingly rare.

I suspect that it's just that 9-5 is "the basic" so they didn't bother mentioning it.
General Medicine!

Says it's mostly Ward based cover with out of hours cover for acute medicine as well as for general medical wards.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
General Medicine!

Says it's mostly Ward based cover with out of hours cover for acute medicine as well as for general medical wards.
In that case, I am pretty sure that my post of #2 applies.

Mostly Mon-Fri 9-5 with frequent on-call shifts. They just didn't bother putting in 9-5 because that's your "base rota".
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Agree with the above. This is normal format for describing jobs.
treenyc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

My first F1 job is acute med in a tertiary hospital (RVI newcastle). They are having rota issues so I havn't got a work schedule or rota yet. Are the hours likely to be horrid?
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should have had a generic work schedule by now and so the trust are in breach of contract, you should give the BMA a call for support with chasing this up.
treenyc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Smile88egc)
You should have had a generic work schedule by now and so the trust are in breach of contract, you should give the BMA a call for support with chasing this up.
I chased it up myself today to be told the trust haven’t given it out yet. I’ll give the bma a ring tomorrow. Thank you
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Smile88egc)
Does this also apply to Scotland?
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Scotland don't have work schedules but you should have your rota with 6 weeks notice so by next Wednesday latest.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
when can/should you book for annual leave and how do you know which week you will be starting on from the schedule? do you give this to the bma to look at or your actual rota

how many /long breaks are you allowed in a day
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
when can/should you book for annual leave and how do you know which week you will be starting on from the schedule? do you give this to the bma to look at or your actual rota

how many /long breaks are you allowed in a day
You get one 30 min break on a shift <9 hours. That can be hard to take on some rotations though. That increase to two 30 min breaks on shifts up to 13 hours.
Zitka
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know if I'm going to a 2-day national conference during my first rotation, if I should book time off as annual leave or study leave?
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zitka)
Does anyone know if I'm going to a 2-day national conference during my first rotation, if I should book time off as annual leave or study leave?
It will be annual leave unless you have a very generous rota coordinator. All of your study days in foundation years are generally accounted for by the mandatory courses/study days you have to do.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zitka)
Probably annual leave, but worth asking. I got given a week of 'unofficial' study leave during FY1 because I was doing an exam - the consultant just said he wouldn't tell anyone
Zitka
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ForestCat)
It will be annual leave unless you have a very generous rota coordinator. All of your study days in foundation years are generally accounted for by the mandatory courses/study days you have to do.
I thought it might be a long shot! :')
Zitka
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Probably annual leave, but worth asking. I got given a week of 'unofficial' study leave during FY1 because I was doing an exam - the consultant just said he wouldn't tell anyone
The plan was to be super nice to everyone when I arrive but now I'll be super extra nice.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Cn you get relocation/trvel expenses -who do you ask?

Can some one quicky go through roles/who to approach if need help as fy1
Like if you have sudden bereavment-who to contact-what do you do....
Role of fdpd,etc what is psu etc?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (14)
25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (35)
62.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed