The Student Room Group

Who else hates COVID testing?

So basically my parents didn't sign me up for COVID testing and today was my first day back after lockdown. One of the students I sit next to tested positive so now i'm isolating for 10 days. so is another 60 students. back for 6 hours then I'm home again. so annoyed

Scroll to see replies

Sending 60 students home for one positive case means your school is being very cautious. This is not what is supposed to happen on the government website it says this

If a pupil tests positive, does their whole class or year group or other bubble then have to isolate as well?

No. It’s only people who live in the same household as someone with symptoms or who has tested positive or close contacts of people who have tested positive or have symptoms.

Close contacts are:
People who have had face-to-face contact including being coughed on or having a face-to-face conversation within 1 metre
People who have been within 1 metre for 1 minute or longer without face-to-face contact
Sexual contacts
People who have been within 2 metres of someone for more than 15 minutes (either as a one-off contact, or added up together over one day)
Travelled in the same vehicle or a plane

Anyway by isolating if you did catch it off them you are lowering the risk of further transmission. Don’t hate testing for all you know later on someone else being made to isolate might prevent you catching COVID.
Reply 2
Original post by Hellllpppp
Sending 60 students home for one positive case means your school is being very cautious. This is not what is supposed to happen on the government website it says this

If a pupil tests positive, does their whole class or year group or other bubble then have to isolate as well?

No. It’s only people who live in the same household as someone with symptoms or who has tested positive or close contacts of people who have tested positive or have symptoms.

Close contacts are:
People who have had face-to-face contact including being coughed on or having a face-to-face conversation within 1 metre
People who have been within 1 metre for 1 minute or longer without face-to-face contact
Sexual contacts
People who have been within 2 metres of someone for more than 15 minutes (either as a one-off contact, or added up together over one day)
Travelled in the same vehicle or a plane

Anyway by isolating if you did catch it off them you are lowering the risk of further transmission. Don’t hate testing for all you know later on someone else being made to isolate might prevent you catching COVID.

Yh and those 60 people (maybe even more) meet those guidelines
Original post by Anonymous
Yh and those 60 people (maybe even more) meet those guidelines

Well I still don’t understand why you’re hating testing. It only detected the case it was there all along. You would have all had to isolate if they developed symptoms and by that point the chance of you becoming infected would’ve increased.
Reply 4
Well I still don’t understand why you’re hating testing. It only detected the case it was there all along. You would have all had to isolate if they developed symptoms and by that point the chance of you becoming infected would’ve increased.

yes but there's a chance it was a false positive. if we didnt have testing i would be going into school tomorrow.
yes but there's a chance it was a false positive. if we didnt have testing i would be going into school tomorrow.

Yes you would be going into school tomorrow, but you could be spreading it. And then other people would not know if they had it and pass it on to more people...This is how it became such a disaster in the first place when there was no testing!!
Reply 6
Yes you would be going into school tomorrow, but you could be spreading it. And then other people would not know if they had it and pass it on to more people...This is how it became such a disaster in the first place when there was no testing!!

Not necessarily the lfd tests are unreliable. there's a chance that she's fine. we're missing out on more education now because of it

Not necessarily the lfd tests are unreliable. there's a chance that she's fine. we're missing out on more education now because of it

A 1/1000 chance is actually really low
Reply 8
A 1/1000 chance is actually really low

A 1-3/1000 chance actually. that's around 3 cases in each school, well my school anyway we have around 1500
A 1-3/1000 chance actually. that's around 3 cases in each school, well my school anyway we have around 1500

I saw 1/1000 is the highest probability with a possibility it’s only wrong in as few as 3/10000 tests
I saw 1/1000 is the highest probability with a possibility it’s only wrong in as few as 3/10000 tests

ok well different sources say different things so we can't start to argue bout this really
The science behind lateral flow tests means they, theoretically, should be more accurate than the PCR tests (based on my limited A-level biology knowledge and articles I’ve read).

PCR tests can test positive when the viral material present is non-infectious
So basically my parents didn't sign me up for COVID testing and today was my first day back after lockdown. One of the students I sit next to tested positive so now i'm isolating for 10 days. so is another 60 students. back for 6 hours then I'm home again. so annoyed

I hate it too, I understand why it has to be done and everything (don’t get me wrong, I’m 100% for it) but I hate putting that stupid stick up my nose, makes me sneeze :frown:
The science behind lateral flow tests means they, theoretically, should be more accurate than the PCR tests (based on my limited A-level biology knowledge and articles I’ve read).

PCR tests can test positive when the viral material present is non-infectious

well thanks for the input but thaat's not what i've read so again just agree to disagree
well thanks for the input but thaat's not what i've read so again just agree to disagree

Now you’re stuck in isolation if you’re interested you could read about monoclonal antibodies and PCR tests to give yourself some background information on the tests so you can make an informed decision about how reliable both are
ok well different sources say different things so we can't start to argue bout this really

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

New analysis of community testing data shows lateral flow tests to have a specificity of at least 99.9%
This means fewer than one false positive in every 1,000 lateral flow tests carried out
New analysis published today shows lateral flow tests (LFD) to have a specificity of at least 99.9% when used to test in the community and could be as high as 99.97%.
Now you’re stuck in isolation if you’re interested you could read about monoclonal antibodies and PCR tests to give yourself some background information on the tests so you can make an informed decision about how reliable both are

um thx for the idea i'll see if i have time
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

New analysis of community testing data shows lateral flow tests to have a specificity of at least 99.9%
This means fewer than one false positive in every 1,000 lateral flow tests carried out
New analysis published today shows lateral flow tests (LFD) to have a specificity of at least 99.9% when used to test in the community and could be as high as 99.97%.

so thats still 1 in 1000. so in my case 2 in the whole school
so thats still 1 in 1000. so in my case 2 in the whole school

Or if it’s 99.97 then theres 3 in 10,000 soo 1 in 3333
(edited 3 years ago)
Or if it’s 99.97 then theres 3 in 10,000 soo 1 in 3333

still not impossible

Quick Reply