ScarletMillion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
ive not done dt since year 7 (and even then we had to miss a LOT of lessons) and im not really sure if i should consider it or how i would do in it.

are there a lot of new skills you need to learn or should already know (would they go over the skills we should have known before
0?

would it be pretty easy to get a really good grade?

if you took it or you have friends who did, what did you/they think about it?

also any tips you might have if i do take it?

its 50% coursework and 50% single 2 hour written exams
Last edited by ScarletMillion; 3 months ago
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
ba-da-ba-ra bump!:party:
DanniBT
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did Product design and i loved it even the course aspect. Do you have a practical aspect? or an overview of the course that i could look at and compare it to the course i did?
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanniBT)
I did Product design and i loved it even the course aspect. Do you have a practical aspect? or an overview of the course that i could look at and compare it to the course i did?
wait, ill screen snip what they gave us
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-11 204723.png
Views: 28
Size:  256.4 KB
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
:question:B:question:U:question:M:question:P:question:
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
DanniBT
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That is very very similar to what I did. If not the same. I received a 7. The course is fairly simple if you are creative person and know how to research ect. I loved doing the research behind why i was making a product and comparing it to other products on the market.

Great course if you enjoy coursework even then it isnt loads or overvaring. If you do choose to take the course I'd be more than happy to help you with the theory work
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanniBT)
That is very very similar to what I did. If not the same. I received a 7. The course is fairly simple if you are creative person and know how to research ect. I loved doing the research behind why i was making a product and comparing it to other products on the market.

Great course if you enjoy coursework even then it isnt loads or overvaring. If you do choose to take the course I'd be more than happy to help you with the theory work
thank you, ill give it a thought
DanniBT
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you have any questions let me know
username5598102
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. The coursework is enjoyable but it takes up a lot of time and the practical making is only worth around 20%. If you want high marks, you have to write a lot in detail. This isn't too bad alone but there is a lot of content for the 2 hour exam which usually gets neglected by school as you have to do the coursework. If you really don't mind having to put in a lot of time outside the classroom then i guess you could pick it but DT gcse really killed my passion for DT.
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
(Original post by User198786)
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. The coursework is enjoyable but it takes up a lot of time and the practical making is only worth around 20%. If you want high marks, you have to write a lot in detail. This isn't too bad alone but there is a lot of content for the 2 hour exam which usually gets neglected by school as you have to do the coursework. If you really don't mind having to put in a lot of time outside the classroom then i guess you could pick it but DT gcse really killed my passion for DT.
so is most of the coursework written?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I did product design at GCSE, Alevel and undergraduate level. I'll write you a proper reply later
username5598102
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ScarletMillion)
so is most of the coursework written?
You do a portfolio of around 20 pages . I can't attach a link but you should be able to find an example portfolio online
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
(Original post by User198786)
You do a portfolio of around 20 pages . I can't attach a link but you should be able to find an example portfolio online
kay, ill try checking online. Thank you!
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I did product design at GCSE, Alevel and undergraduate level. I'll write you a proper reply later
sure, thank you!
TheSecretSayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have just finished my portfolio (AQA NEA), and if I am honest, if you pick DT (unless you are extremely passionate - which I originally was- or if you are going into engineering) I would strongly advise you to reconsider and research much more. For me, I have had to do many all nighters, 3am’r’s since the amount of detail you have to go into is incredible. In totoal my NEA ended up having around 40,000 words over 21 slides :/ If you seriously think that you can manage this whilst also working on theory, only then take DT. Please don’t think of this as an easy ‘course-work’ subject. Let us know what you finally pick
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TheSecretSayer)
I have just finished my portfolio (AQA NEA), and if I am honest, if you pick DT (unless you are extremely passionate - which I originally was- or if you are going into engineering) I would strongly advise you to reconsider and research much more. For me, I have had to do many all nighters, 3am’r’s since the amount of detail you have to go into is incredible. In totoal my NEA ended up having around 40,000 words over 21 slides :/ If you seriously think that you can manage this whilst also working on theory, only then take DT. Please don’t think of this as an easy ‘course-work’ subject. Let us know what you finally pick
thanks for the reply!

i decided not to choose it though. the subjects i chose were: geography, computer science and textiles- as well as the compulsory english lit & language, maths, sciences and spanish
TheSecretSayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ScarletMillion)
thanks for the reply!

i decided not to choose it though. the subjects i chose were: geography, computer science and textiles- as well as the compulsory english lit & language, maths, sciences and spanish
Ah nice, I think those are quite nice choices (of course if you have taken into consideration the requirements of any future career pathways)! Hope you have a pleasant journey on the path of GCSEs, a path which I am nearing the end to! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (24)
30%
No (56)
70%

Watched Threads