Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by parmezanne)
the fact that this is the very premise of conversion therapy yet is still deemed acceptable is beyond me. I feel like we've stepped into a time warp where gays are no longer allowed anymore.
Indeed, althog at least the practice, in this context at least, tends to be universally frowned upon (aside from some religious njuts) My sole objection is based on the expansion of 'conversion therapy' to include perfectly proper councelling - albeit more to do with the trans problem than people being gay - but as a general point you're right. It's a shame really.
Although, i am curious how many quacks actually practice this? Is it a small issue, albeit one that attracts loud attention or is it quite widespread?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Indeed, althog at least the practice, in this context at least, tends to be universally frowned upon (aside from some religious njuts) My sole objection is based on the expansion of 'conversion therapy' to include perfectly proper councelling - albeit more to do with the trans problem than people being gay - but as a general point you're right. It's a shame really.
Although, i am curious how many quacks actually practice this? Is it a small issue, albeit one that attracts loud attention or is it quite widespread?
Stonewall puts it at 1 in 20 but their stats don't seem to make much sense. They include the caveat "when accessing healthcare" but never seem to expand on what they were supposedly pressured into.
https://www.stonewall.org.uk/campaig...ersion-therapy

The Government stats set it at 2% undergone and 5% offered for LGB and 4% undergone and 9% offered for T which seems to make a lot more sense. It terms of raw numbers almost 3000 people said it had occurred but there is no measure of time when it occurred.

Seems to be mostly faith organisations at 51% no surprise there and 19% are healthcare professionals but I'm not sure what they are defined as because I highly doubt it is the NHS.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...summary-report

The stats are a bit of a mess really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (438)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (334)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (414)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (161)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (281)
9.45%

Watched Threads