?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Name:  3B6C8D81-4AE6-4211-8141-6E57C72D891B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  23.9 KB
Name:  DFE5E74A-85D7-4085-BFC8-02C528701EEB.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  9.5 KB
Can someone explain how to answer this please. Yes it’s only one marker but I suck at reading infrared spectrum graphs T^T
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The question is about the infrared spectrum of the alcohol after being (or attempting to be) oxidised. If there’s an O-H bond then it must not have been oxidised so it must be a tertiary alcohol so A.
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
The question is about the infrared spectrum of the alcohol after being (or attempting to be) oxidised. If there’s an O-H bond then it must not have been oxidised so it must be a tertiary alcohol so A.
Wait I thought tertiary alcohol couldn’t be oxidised?

The answers meant to be B

But I’m confused on how you can tell apart -OH alcohol and -OH Acid. I find the range they’re in very similar.

With this I was debating that the combination would either be -COOH so primary alcohol
Or I would probably be considering -OH as in aldehyde and C=C. Which leads to primary alcohol as well

I think they were trying to get me thinking towards ketone but the ketone range is so close to c=c as well like how do you distinguish between close curves if that makes sense
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Yazomi)
Wait I thought tertiary alcohol couldn’t be oxidised?

The answers meant to be B

But I’m confused on how you can tell apart -OH alcohol and -OH Acid. I find the range they’re in very similar.

With this I was debating that the combination would either be -COOH so primary alcohol
Or I would probably be considering -OH as in aldehyde and C=C. Which leads to primary alcohol as well

I think they were trying to get me thinking towards ketone but the ketone range is so close to c=c as well like how do you distinguish between close curves if that makes sense
Yeah tertiary alcohols can’t be oxidised. I was trying to say if there’s still an alcohol group in the spectra then it hasn’t been oxidised so it must be tertiary. I didn’t really look at the spectra (sorry!) so I missed the c=o bond and I think you’ve misidentified the C-H bonds as an O-H bond. If it’s got c=o as well as an o-H with these possibilities it has to be a -COOH so primary alcohol but I don’t think there’s an O-H so it must be a ketone and therefore originally a secondary alcohol. You don’t need to worry about c=c as they aren’t formed during oxidation with potassium dichromate and none of these already contain a c=c bond.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sorry I’m tired and not making much sense
gd99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As far as I can tell, it needs you to distinguish between a possible carboxylic acid or ketone.

The reaction of an alcohol with potassium dichromate will convert a primary or secondary alcohol to a carboxylic acid or ketone, respectively.

‘A’ cannot be oxidised as it is a tertiary alcohol, so cannot be the product which the IR spectrum corresponds to, as the spectrum very clearly has a carbonyl peak present.

‘C’ and ‘D’ are both primary alcohols, so will form carboxylic acids. These will have a broad O-H peak around 300 ppm, which is not present in the spectrum (if you’re unsure, google ‘carboxylic IR spectrum’ and look at the google images results - this has some good examples which you can compare to the spectrum in the question to help you see the difference).

‘B’ is a secondary alcohol so forms a ketone. This fits the spectrum, as there is a C=O present but no O-H carboxylic acid group hence only the C-H bonds being seen in the spectrum around 3000 ppm.

Also, seeing your previous suggestion, you won’t get any C=C bonds formed in this situation, so don’t worry about that at all - it doesn’t happen.

Hope this helps - just say if any of it isn’t clear!
Last edited by gd99; 4 months ago
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Ahhhh that makes sense now!! Thanks both of you! Think more visual practise is what I need
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.46%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (63)
30.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
12.08%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.21%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.8%
I think it's an unfair expectation (55)
26.57%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed