The Student Room Group

Glasgow vs Leeds vs Edinburgh

Hi. I recently got an offer from University of Leeds and Glasgow for a masters in Accounting and Finance. I had applied to the University of Edinburgh for the same programme in Feb, will likely take longer to hear back from them.

I would like to know the order in which I should prioritize these unis and employment opportunities in these respective cities. An insight into student lifestyle would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When you refer to employment opportunities do you mean for student type jobs or post graduation? Congratulations on the offers by the way - great places to live
Reply 2
Both actually but mostly post graduation. Also, thank you.
Reply 3
Edinburgh might have more opportunities for student type work when the world opens up - Leeds seems pretty good also. For graduate work - Leeds has a fast growing employment market and is well connected to other cities for attending interviews etc.
Reply 4
Right, okay. The order you suggest would then be Edinburgh>Leeds>Glasgow?

I am aware of how UK unis are inclined towards research but a PhD is not what I intend on doing later. I'd rather want to be a part of the corporate world revolving around accounting and financial firms. Keeping that in mind, which one do you think is the best fit?
Reply 5
Order - depends on your finances and objectives. Why do a masters in accountong? Its not what I would do to get a job in the sort of organisations you are referring to. And if I needed to for some reasons I'd be looking at course content more than location or reputation.
Reply 6
I have been thinking about how I am probably heading in the wrong direction. What would you suggest as an alternative to this? I am in a major fix. I am interested in studying these subjects and would like to thrive in the same industry.
Reply 7
Ok - some background needed.

Nationality, previous qualifications including grades, work experience.

Why are you in a major fix?
Reply 8
I am an Indian and I am presently pursuing my Bachelors of Business Administration in International Business. My university follows a CGPA pattern out of 10. I am currently in my final trimester, my score till the previous trimester was 9.6. I have done 2-3 internships, the total duration would amount to 7 months so not a great record to put on for work exp.
Reply 9
Original post by Meher16
I am an Indian and I am presently pursuing my Bachelors of Business Administration in International Business. My university follows a CGPA pattern out of 10. I am currently in my final trimester, my score till the previous trimester was 9.6. I have done 2-3 internships, the total duration would amount to 7 months so not a great record to put on for work exp.

ok - thats a decent amount of work experience for a new graduate. Some hospitality/ retail type experience can be good for answering interview and aptitude type questions for UK jobs.

So why pursue the masters degree? What do you hope to get out of it? That would give guidance as to your best course of action.
Reply 10
I know the goal (as I mentioned above), I can't seem to decide the route to follow. I keep questioning all the choices I have made so far.
Ok - but your goal is not adequately defined.

Perhaps your goal is to work for a global accounting firm or global company based in India? Or to work in the UK for at least a few years? Or to work in India with the thought of moving abroad when you have some experience? Or you want to work in any Western country and not in India?

These are different options with different pathways.
Reply 12
I would like to study in the UK and then work for a minimum of 4 years or more depending on if I like what I am doing then.
Original post by Meher16
I would like to study in the UK and then work for a minimum of 4 years or more depending on if I like what I am doing then.

Ok - that clearer. So the reason for the masters degree is to have a better chance at a working visa more than to gain a masters? That starts to make more sense.

Are you easily able to afford the course or are you relying on getting a job in the UK to repay the cost?
Reply 14
Since I mentioned that my degree is in IB, it's not high on Accounting and Finance modules. The very reason to pursue Masters in this programme.

I will be taking a student loan to fund my education.
Original post by Meher16
Since I mentioned that my degree is in IB, it's not high on Accounting and Finance modules. The very reason to pursue Masters in this programme.

I will be taking a student loan to fund my education.

ok - but countries differ. The majority of people who start careers in accounting in the UK and especially in large accounting firms do not have a degree in accounting or with accounting and finance modules. Nor do most UK graduates who want to work in accounting chose to do masters degrees,

How do you plan to repay the loan - I'm guessing £40k? Would that be affordable if you returned to India on graduation?
Reply 16
Not exactly. I will mostly have to stay back and I would want to stay back. What do most people do then? Do they enrol for CFA, ACCA or other professional qualifications? Some of the unis provide exemptions for these exams. I believe there are pathway degrees.
Original post by Meher16
Not exactly. I will mostly have to stay back and I would want to stay back. What do most people do then? Do they enrol for CFA, ACCA or other professional qualifications? Some of the unis provide exemptions for these exams. I believe there are pathway degrees.

not quite sure of your point but will make a couple of notes:

- Most UK graduates who pursue careers in accounting without the relevant degree take up jobs and study professional qualifications while they work. The masters degrees which specifically give exemptions may be a good option but are expensive (say £9k plus living costs) and don't yet have an established reputation. Many CIMA pathway courses seem terrible and have horrible outcomes.

- Thus the normal advice for UK residents is to get a job and do the training while you work. If in a large accounting firm you don't earn more for having an accounting degree or masters than an undergrad degree in whatever and the training is no quicker.

- taking on significant debt to do a masters degree in the UK is a huge risk. Trainee accountants don't earn enough to pay back that sort of debt. And you may well not get a job which can give sponsorship. Ok - in theory you can work in anything for two years but the economy is not good. Fancy driving taxis 60 hours a week to try to pay the interest and a bit of capital? What if the government changes the immigration rules due to rising unemployment?
Reply 18
If you don't mind me asking, are you professionally involved in this sector or in anyway associated?
Original post by Meher16
If you don't mind me asking, are you professionally involved in this sector or in anyway associated?

Yes - I'm a Chartered Accountant (ex big 4 working in industry).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending