The Student Room Group

BPS accreditation in psychology

I'm considering doing an integrated master's degree in psychology where I have an option to finish after the third year, with a bachelor's degree without doing the master's course.

My question here is related to BPS accreditation: Exiting a master's degree course with a BSc degree is not accredited from BPS. If I graduate with an unaccredited degree, will it negatively impact my future course applications? (I'm planning to do a master's or doctor's degree later in the US.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Most BSc Psych degrees are accredited, so I don't know why that wouldn't be? I would guess you would just get the BSc that the majority of students at that uni would get if you didn't complete the rest.

I don't know how BPS accreditation affects studies in the US though, but it may be unnecessary to think about for the above reason. Most people do a BSc in psych
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Most BSc Psych degrees are accredited, so I don't know why that wouldn't be? I would guess you would just get the BSc that the majority of students at that uni would get if you didn't complete the rest.

I don't know how BPS accreditation affects studies in the US though, but it may be unnecessary to think about for the above reason. Most people do a BSc in psych

This integrated MSci degree is BPS accredited when I complete the whole course with the research project in the final year. But I'm considering exiting in the third year with an unaccredited BSc (not MSci) degree as I wish to study outside the UK (in other European countries or the US).
Original post by rivermann
This integrated MSci degree is BPS accredited when I complete the whole course with the research project in the final year. But I'm considering exiting in the third year with an unaccredited BSc (not MSci) degree as I wish to study outside the UK (in other European countries or the US).

You could probably ask the uni to change you onto their standard BSc programme, which would be accredited. Although I don't know if that matters for study in other countries - you would probably have to check the international requirements for places like the US.
You have to undertake research to be accredited which explains why that is.

In terms of training and practising in the US - it will of course be advantageous to be accredited by the British Psychological Society however won't you need to be accredited by the US equivalent?

Look into Psychology routes in the US and hopefully you'll find an answer to your question.

Quick Reply

Latest