The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Vet Med Offer Holders

I thought I’d make a thread for Edinburgh seeing as quite a few people seem to have offers now! What made everyone apply to Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So happy! First offer this year. I think it was the friendly nature of staff and students at the open day in 2019. They fact it’s so well established and has the zoo aspect which I’m really interested in. I think it’s my first choice just going to wait and see what other offers I get. What about you?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by CLAW2021
So happy! First offer this year. I think it was the friendly nature of staff and students at the open day in 2019. They fact it’s so well established and has the zoo aspect which I’m really interested in. I think it’s my first choice just going to wait and see what other offers I get. What about you?

Congratulations! I think it will probably be my first choice too, I’m still waiting to hear back from Glasgow but the staff seemed so nice at the interview so that definitely makes me want to go to Edinburgh!
Hi! :smile: So happy to get an offer today! I applied to Edinburgh as I have a lot of family in Scotland, it seems really good in terms of exotics and advancing animal welfare and obviously the facilities are super nice. I'm still waiting to hear back from Glasgow as well and will definitely be in a dilemma about what to choose if I get an offer from there too as there's so many different positives for both!
Reply 4
Original post by Thehorsegal
Hi! :smile: So happy to get an offer today! I applied to Edinburgh as I have a lot of family in Scotland, it seems really good in terms of exotics and advancing animal welfare and obviously the facilities are super nice. I'm still waiting to hear back from Glasgow as well and will definitely be in a dilemma about what to choose if I get an offer from there too as there's so many different positives for both!

I’m exactly the same! I think I prefer Edinburgh at the moment though as the facilities seem more modern. Are you an English applicant?
Reply 5
Hi everyone! I just got my offer this morning and it was the last one I was waiting to hear from. Already firmed my choice on UCAS so hopefully I'll meet some of you in September! It's still not sunk in yet, but I'm on the search for accomodation now. I was just wondering what your opinions on ensuite vs shared bathrooms. I don't mind sharing, but I was considering ensuite (at Holland House) because I know some days I will stink after a practical and I don't want to bother the people I live with. What do you all think, would it be worth the £1200 or so extra?
Original post by Mas2405
I’m exactly the same! I think I prefer Edinburgh at the moment though as the facilities seem more modern. Are you an English applicant?

Yeah I’m an English applicant, what about you? I think Edinburgh is slightly better in terms of facilities and exotics teaching but then with Glasgow there’s no long commute, the city is cheaper/ less touristy and that’s where the rest of my family all live so it would be a tricky decision!
Reply 7
Original post by Thehorsegal
Yeah I’m an English applicant, what about you? I think Edinburgh is slightly better in terms of facilities and exotics teaching but then with Glasgow there’s no long commute, the city is cheaper/ less touristy and that’s where the rest of my family all live so it would be a tricky decision!

I’m a Scottish applicant :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by CharlT03
Hi everyone! I just got my offer this morning and it was the last one I was waiting to hear from. Already firmed my choice on UCAS so hopefully I'll meet some of you in September! It's still not sunk in yet, but I'm on the search for accomodation now. I was just wondering what your opinions on ensuite vs shared bathrooms. I don't mind sharing, but I was considering ensuite (at Holland House) because I know some days I will stink after a practical and I don't want to bother the people I live with. What do you all think, would it be worth the £1200 or so extra?

At first I was sure that I wanted an ensuite but now I don’t think I’ll go for one as the accommodation that has them seems to be further from Easter Bush and a lot of people say it’s not worth it as you have to share once you get into second year anyway!
Reply 9
Original post by Mas2405
At first I was sure that I wanted an ensuite but now I don’t think I’ll go for one as the accommodation that has them seems to be further from Easter Bush and a lot of people say it’s not worth it as you have to share once you get into second year anyway!

What accomodation are you looking at then? I know at one of the talks Edinburgh Vet did, one of the students said she went to Pollock (one of which has ensuite) and Pollock seems to be the closest to Easter Bush without being private accomodation. I can't really decide whether to go catered or not either because a big drawback was that you still have to pay for lunch, but you dont have the facilities to cook it so its like sandwiches everyday lol. But then, starting a new heavy workload, wouldn't it be more practical to not have to cook until second year when I'm more used to the schedule? Idk let me know your opinions, I just don't want to be the only vetmed student living wherever I go because I missed something!
Reply 10
What accomodation are you looking at then? I know at one of the talks Edinburgh Vet did, one of the students said she went to Pollock (one of which has ensuite) and Pollock seems to be the closest to Easter Bush without being private accomodation. I can't really decide whether to go catered or not either because a big drawback was that you still have to pay for lunch, but you dont have the facilities to cook it so its like sandwiches everyday lol. But then, starting a new heavy workload, wouldn't it be more practical to not have to cook until second year when I'm more used to the schedule? Idk let me know your opinions, I just don't want to be the only vetmed student living wherever I go because I missed something!

I’m definitely going to go self catered. I quite like cooking anyway but also since vetmed has different term dates than other courses sometimes they won’t be serving meals when you’re still there as everyone else has gone home. Obviously that would only be for a small part of the year but it says on the website that they recommend going self catered for vet med.
Original post by Mas2405
I’m definitely going to go self catered. I quite like cooking anyway but also since vetmed has different term dates than other courses sometimes they won’t be serving meals when you’re still there as everyone else has gone home. Obviously that would only be for a small part of the year but it says on the website that they recommend going self catered for vet med.

Yeah defo, I did figure it out this morning and its literally only 2 weeks of term that you wouldn't have food made. I wanted that to be my deciding factor cus I'm really stuck on what I want but 2 weeks isnt really a big deal and I feel like the recommendation was more of a 'you should know' rather than don't do it. I guess self-catered is probably better, I like cooking and I initally wasn't even going to consider catered but then its just the convinience. Maybe I'll try and find a current student to ask.
Reply 12
Yeah defo, I did figure it out this morning and its literally only 2 weeks of term that you wouldn't have food made. I wanted that to be my deciding factor cus I'm really stuck on what I want but 2 weeks isnt really a big deal and I feel like the recommendation was more of a 'you should know' rather than don't do it. I guess self-catered is probably better, I like cooking and I initally wasn't even going to consider catered but then its just the convinience. Maybe I'll try and find a current student to ask.

Yeah that’s probably a good plan. I don’t know what the food’s like or anything so I have no idea if it’s worth the money or not

I’m so glad you think the same. I’m pretty sure I will firm here so I’m looking realistically now. I’m looking into south clerk street. I agree there’s pros and cons to both. Cost is a big thing as well. I hope when it’s nearer the time we can all see who will be in the same buildings.
I've not even started looking at accommodation as I'm still in shock that I actually got in. I've already made it my firm choice and always wanted to go there.
Original post by abigail.m
I've not even started looking at accommodation as I'm still in shock that I actually got in. I've already made it my firm choice and always wanted to go there.

Yeah, I firmed my choice straight away cus its the one I really wanted, I didn't have to think twice! It still hasn't quite sunk in yet but I'm so excited, even if I haven't quite processed the fact its not a distant dream anymore lol.
Reply 16
I already know Edinburgh is my top choice but I can’t bring myself to withdraw from Glasgow because I really want to see if I get it haha!
Reply 17
Hi everyone! I got an offer yesterday too and I can’t believe it! I’m a Scottish applicant, and can’t wait to see you all! I’ve been looking at self catered as I quite like cooking but I’ve heard the vet students are spread across both types of accommodation. :smile:
Hi everyone, I got my offer a couple of weeks ago and I've just firmed Edinburgh :smile: I'm going for self catered, what accommodation is everyone applying to and why?
Reply 19
Original post by BellaM02
Hi everyone, I got my offer a couple of weeks ago and I've just firmed Edinburgh :smile: I'm going for self catered, what accommodation is everyone applying to and why?

I was leaning towards Pollock as I thought I'd heard that one recommended as the main one on one of the talks for vetmed, but from the sounds of this chat there are a lot more options so I'm going to look into them more I think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending