Have your teachers told you how your grades will be decided?

Watch
Poll: Have your teachers told you how your grades will be decided?
Yes, I understand how I will be assessed (336)
47.06%
No, I don't understand how I will be assessed (378)
52.94%
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi guys, :wavey:

Students are now back at school and this means you've had your first chance to speak to your teachers since the recent grading announcement that teachers would be deciding how your grades are determined.

This obviously means that students may experience different forms of assessment over the next few months with teachers using their judgment to come up with a fair way to reach their verdicts.

Have your teachers explained to you how your grades will be decided in your given GCSEs, BTEC's or A-levels?

If your teachers and your school have told you how they plan to assess you, what have they said to you? Please feel free to share how your grades are going to be decided this year, and how you feel about it?
thereisalightx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They've said they'll go off mock grades, in class assessments and coursework. Our last day is the 14th of may, so we can do assessments in class until then if our teachers feel necessary. We also have a meeting with teachers to discuss what evidence they've got on us and if we want to we can sit another mock after may, but it's optional
Last edited by thereisalightx; 6 months ago
Josh_J
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by thereisalightx)
They've said they'll go off mock grades, in class assessments and coursework. Our last day is the 14th of may, so we can do assessments in class until then if our teachers feel necessary. We also have a meeting with teachers to discuss what evidence they've got on us and if we want to we can sit another mock after may, but it's optional
My school haven’t said anything. Does anyone think this may be a common approach?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Mocks are playing a HUGE part in deciding our final grades. We won't know our mock grade until results day which is annoying, but oh well.

I just want to be done with year 13 as soon as possible.
zakbad16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
in my skl they have this thing called portfolio after every lesson we answer questions on the topic for all subjects and they use that as evidence and we have to do exams made by the skl and i think they will tell us the topics coming up on them
lokidokie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Unfortunately, I don't know yet. A lot of my teachers have told me how they would like to grade us, but they haven't received confirmation from the school yet. From what I've seen from other schools, they are going to use past mock grades, which I don't really approve of. I get it, it is reflective of what we can achieve in timed conditions, but I would have tried a lot harder to ace those mocks if I knew they would have actually meant something. And I know of plenty who cheated in their mocks, yet that won't matter now. Kinda sucks.
-erikaka-
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My teachers are giving us assessments. :s-smilie:
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I tutor students across multiple schools for maths/further maths A level, and they all seem to be running their own exams under (mostly) usual conditions, since they've finished all the content anyway and for such a black and white subject like maths it seems the most reliable way to do it. The main difference seems to be the content - some of the schools are cutting out the applied content and only testing pure, while others are considering using the locked past papers in their entirety.

The consensus, though, seems to be doing assessments under exam conditions, and then using mocks/homework evidence if the assessment grades aren't what the student wants or needs.
username4657018
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Our science subjects are doing topic tests after Easter
billybob234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Basically my school are doing their own exams in May plus potentially using the exam board papers. We will ONLY be graded on these exams + coursework like normal years.
billybob234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by thereisalightx)
14th May seems unreasonably early given the government wanted us to continue learning for as long as possible and grades don't need to be submitted till 18th June, but i guess it's down to the school. Sounds like you'll be lucky with an extra long summer - i'm jealous
agnos987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
my teachers are giving us assessment which are timed (50mins - 1hr each) from 22nd March to around 14th May(?). We'll have two sets of assessments - first set of assessments are before half term (we were only told about this a couple of days ago so we barely have any time to revise!!!) and the 2nd set are 2 weeks after half term. Then I think we have to stay for a couple weeks to see what we scored on the tests(?). Our grades will be based on the assessments, homeworks, and past assessments.
username5618834
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hi guys, :wavey:

Students are now back at school and this means you've had your first chance to speak to your teachers since the recent grading announcement that teachers would be deciding how your grades are determined.

This obviously means that students may experience different forms of assessment over the next few months with teachers using their judgment to come up with a fair way to reach their verdicts.

Have your teachers explained to you how your grades will be decided in your given GCSEs, BTEC's or A-levels?

If your teachers and your school have told you how they plan to assess you, what have they said to you? Please feel free to share how your grades are going to be decided this year, and how you feel about it?
No they haven't 😔 thank you for this post 😊
I1Mu12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, we have been told we have loads of assessments to determine our grades. For exam in my maths class, we have an exam in two weeks and then three more after easter break to determine our grade. I know this will be the same for my physics class.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
not in year 13, in year 12. but the year 13"s are going to be given 2 exams per subject and they get the highest grade of the 2
starinthenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
30 assessments across 10 subjects straight after the easter holidays which will all (the assessments) happen in 2.5 weeks. Along with at least 1 assessment this half term for each subject (gcse btw)
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
We no longer have a mock week but I have two assessment weeks. One the week before Easter and one on w/c 3rd May. Assessments are going to be cut down versions of whole papers in most subjects (around 1 hour in the first assessment week). For the second assessment week I know that in one subject I will have to sit mini versions of all three papers but I don’t know about the others. I also know that another teacher is planning to give us essays to do in class not under timed conditions to act as ‘coursework’ after our final assessment. How these assessments affect my grades I don’t know, I’ve done at least 11/12 assessments in each subject while at college and I really hope these are taken into a because so far I’ve been working at or just above the grades the grades I need for my first choice uni.
melissa.mantle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by agnos987)
my teachers are giving us assessment which are timed (50mins - 1hr each) from 22nd March to around 14th May(?). We'll have two sets of assessments - first set of assessments are before half term (we were only told about this a couple of days ago so we barely have any time to revise!!!) and the 2nd set are 2 weeks after half term. Then I think we have to stay for a couple weeks to see what we scored on the tests(?). Our grades will be based on the assessments, homeworks, and past assessments.
Me too! It's a little bit stressful but not long to go, do all you can!
Amin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My teachers are focusing on coursework and assessments.
Cameron1144
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by billybob234)
14th May seems unreasonably early given the government wanted us to continue learning for as long as possible and grades don't need to be submitted till 18th June, but i guess it's down to the school. Sounds like you'll be lucky with an extra long summer - i'm jealous
Yeah my college is making us do 2 weeks of exams i think 17th-28th May. Then we are done so we get an extra month or so of summer but it makes no difference cause we can’t even do anything lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads