ACA Professional Exams - when to start revising?

Watch
Naami
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm starting my professional level courses with BPP tomorrow - over the next two week's we're doing FAR and AA and then we'll cover TC is June.
My peers in the year or two years above me said no one started revising until after the revision session (which is in August), which seems mental leaving it so close to the exams which are in September.

I was going to tackle it by studying a couple of hours before work in the mornings 3x a week and maybe about 5 hours on the weekend and then about a month before the exams ramp it up to mornings before work and 16 hrs across Sat and Sun on the weekends - how did others go about it?
B4Acnt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d be more inclined to agree with your peers. I’ve sat all 6 professional level exams and generally started my ‘solo’ revision in the 3-4 weeks leading up to the exam. I’d also studied a couple of weekends maybe 5-6 weeks out on the tougher exams just to ensure I’d sufficiently covered knowledge, but certainly not 16 hours.

My personal experience was that until I’d covered the majority of the syllabus in structured college sessions (either tuition led or self study), I wasn’t able to effectively revise solo. Revision tends to be just solid question practice which is tough when you don’t have the core knowledge to back that up.

The schedule you’ve suggested, to me, sounds a little extreme. I’d be careful of burnout, especially as you are juggling a full time job along side this.

That all said, the professional level is a big step up from certificate and definitely shouldn’t be underestimated. I’d always recommend you err on the side of caution and if you feel you need to start revising a little earlier than peers, do that. Especially as these are your first exams at this stage.
Naami
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by B4Acnt)
I’d be more inclined to agree with your peers. I’ve sat all 6 professional level exams and generally started my ‘solo’ revision in the 3-4 weeks leading up to the exam. I’d also studied a couple of weekends maybe 5-6 weeks out on the tougher exams just to ensure I’d sufficiently covered knowledge, but certainly not 16 hours.

My personal experience was that until I’d covered the majority of the syllabus in structured college sessions (either tuition led or self study), I wasn’t able to effectively revise solo. Revision tends to be just solid question practice which is tough when you don’t have the core knowledge to back that up.

The schedule you’ve suggested, to me, sounds a little extreme. I’d be careful of burnout, especially as you are juggling a full time job along side this.

That all said, the professional level is a big step up from certificate and definitely shouldn’t be underestimated. I’d always recommend you err on the side of caution and if you feel you need to start revising a little earlier than peers, do that. Especially as these are your first exams at this stage.
Thanks for your reply. We'll be finishing the content in March for FAR and AA and by June for TC so I think starting once the course is over is fine. And 16 hrs in the weekend in the lead up isn't too much imo but I tend to rather over prepare than under. I don't see how you're meant to have enough time to study for 3 exams whilst working at the same time one month before the exam so I'll start earlier as I know myself and know I need time to absorb the content.
K1NE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Naami)
I'm starting my professional level courses with BPP tomorrow - over the next two week's we're doing FAR and AA and then we'll cover TC is June.
My peers in the year or two years above me said no one started revising until after the revision session (which is in August), which seems mental leaving it so close to the exams which are in September.

I was going to tackle it by studying a couple of hours before work in the mornings 3x a week and maybe about 5 hours on the weekend and then about a month before the exams ramp it up to mornings before work and 16 hrs across Sat and Sun on the weekends - how did others go about it?
Hey,

Hope you are well.

I would initially recommend keeping on top of learning the material and doing the homework set during college. You can always then revisit your notes over the next few days after college, just to cover off any questions in your notes you couldn't do in class and tidy them up.

After that just do question practice. It is totally okay to do them open book for a little while but important to get into the habit of close book at least 5/6 weeks before the exam. Do a few questions (Can aim for at least 10 questions in FAR/AA each before revision). If you can do more questions, then even better.

The real revision does pretty much start at the end of revision period at college because you go over the main theory with your tutor again, focus on exam technique and do questions to time in class as well as de-briefing the question.

I wouldn't focus too much on what people in the year above did because everyone learns at different rates. Find a formula and revision strategy that works for you. Always better to be cautious than being underprepared.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (150)
42.37%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.97%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (143)
40.4%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed