Lea438
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I have been doing a level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and am hoping to do veterinary medicine in university next year. However, not many universities accept veterinary medicine without an a level attached, only RVC and harper and keele. I am wondering if there are any people who could help me as I am confused as to whether they will accept you based on just the course or will they look at your gcses aswell because it says about gcses needing to be B or above but I don't know if that's aswell as the btec or not and I don't know if I need to worry about that or not because I only have Cs at gcse.
Fushijitshu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lea438)
So I have been doing a level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and am hoping to do veterinary medicine in university next year. However, not many universities accept veterinary medicine without an a level attached, only RVC and harper and keele. I am wondering if there are any people who could help me as I am confused as to whether they will accept you based on just the course or will they look at your gcses aswell because it says about gcses needing to be B or above but I don't know if that's aswell as the btec or not and I don't know if I need to worry about that or not because I only have Cs at gcse.

(Original post by Fushijitshu)
Hiya!

I have just obtained a place on the RVC Gateway Veterinary course. I would say that definitely a BTEC L3 Ext. (180 cred) degree can get you into veterinary however GCSEs would definitely be checked. Have you looked into this course and it's critieria; Might be an option if you tick the boxes/the BTEC modules?

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergra...rinary-gateway

Would have to tick a few of the 'Widening Participation Criteria' for the course, this is where a lot of people get caught out on but some of them are easy ones etc.

GCSEs are Cs for the course and BTEC is DMM; Really have to check that your BTEC has the modules they want as mine did not; And I had to do extra modules from a different BTEC as well as the Animal Management just to tick the boxes!!

Overall it's definitely a possibility as BTECs are becoming more accepted by unis however I personally believe that the best thing to do is pop an email to your uni of course and enquire for their opinion, on your grades and the course; doesn't hurt to ask.
Last edited by Fushijitshu; 1 week ago
Lea438
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hiya!

I have just obtained a place on the RVC Gateway Veterinary course. I would say that definitely a BTEC L3 Ext. (180 cred) degree can get you into veterinary however GCSEs would definitely be checked. Have you looked into this course and it's critieria; Might be an option if you tick the boxes/the BTEC modules?

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergra...rinary-gateway

Would have to tick a few of the 'Widening Participation Criteria' for the course, this is where a lot of people get caught out on but some of them are easy ones etc.

GCSEs are Cs for the course and BTEC is DMM; Really have to check that your BTEC has the modules they want as mine did not; And I had to do extra modules from a different BTEC as well as the Animal Management just to tick the boxes!!

Overall it's definitely a possibility as BTECs are becoming more accepted by unis however I personally believe that the best thing to do is pop an email to your uni of course and enquire for their opinion, on your grades and the course; doesn't hurt to ask.
Thank you so much!, I have just had a look on the RVC website about the subject requirements and dont think i would be eligable for it as my course doesn't offer two of the subject areas, however there is still hope. I have done some research and have found that you can get into graduate entry veterinary medicine programmes by doing a science degree first, so I have decided to do a degree in either bioveterinary science or zoology first and then progress on to the graduate entry course. Thank you so much for your help though x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (49)
20.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (35)
14.34%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (11)
4.51%
Video content about the local area (2)
0.82%
Webinars with lecturers (9)
3.69%
Taster lectures or seminars (56)
22.95%
Speak to current students studying my course (51)
20.9%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (11)
4.51%
Fun online activities or experiences (8)
3.28%
Connecting with careers services or employers (6)
2.46%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (2)
0.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.64%

Watched Threads