Hb3003
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have been accepted on two different Msc programs. Microbiology at Northumbria and wildlife management at Newcastle. I love both subjects and am struggling which would be the better option to go for... Seeking advice!
iNick1
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Hb3003)
I have been accepted on two different Msc programs. Microbiology at Northumbria and wildlife management at Newcastle. I love both subjects and am struggling which would be the better option to go for... Seeking advice!
Where did you study previously? I did my undergrad and MSc at Newcastle. All I can recommend is if you studied at one of the unis already you may get a significant alumni discount. Without this however I always think it’s good to experience different unis. So if you haven’t been to either before then both will be an experience. Newcastle would be my pref but I may be biased ahah. However I did biochemistry at uni and having done a few microbiology modules I’m aware that it’s quite fascinating. What’s interesting about your question is the courses are significantly different. One is more science based and ideal for research if you like that, the other is more ... management as the name suggests. So you need to ask yourself what you really enjoy doing. If you love both then your in the best position. The only advice I could give in summary is just do what really get you excited to go into uni in the morning. Both are Newcastle so that doesn’t matter. Additionally I have a few friends from Newcastle but now at Northumbria who say that the staff if more approachable? Personally I haven’t had an issue with Newcastle in this regard. Wish you all the best!
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Do you know what you want to do afterwards?
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Hb3003)
Interesting as these appear to be VERY different degree programs, microbiology being more lab-based and wildlife management being more nature based. What lead you to these subjects?
Hb3003
Rep:
(Original post by physgradstudent)
Do you know what you want to do afterwards?
I have a lot of careers in my mind I’d love to experience I’m quite indecisive and unsure which isn’t ideal at my stage
Hb3003
Rep:
(Original post by QuentinM)
Interesting as these appear to be VERY different degree programs, microbiology being more lab-based and wildlife management being more nature based. What lead you to these subjects?
Microbiology- bacteriology fascinates me and I’d like to conduct research in antibiotic resistance and look at E. coli interactions. Also always had a thing for microbial ecology, looking at freshwater organisms from ponds etc and their behaviour

Wildlife management- volunteered a lot with endangered species and a lot of ecological work, how species interact with their environment, ecosystem dynamics, I’d like to contribute in restoration projects and conservation which is vital right now more than ever which is why I’m leaning at this MSc -to make an impact. But still not 100% also need to think about employment rate and income for the future
Hb3003
Rep:
(Original post by iNick1)
Where did you study previously? I did my undergrad and MSc at Newcastle. All I can recommend is if you studied at one of the unis already you may get a significant alumni discount. Without this however I always think it’s good to experience different unis. So if you haven’t been to either before then both will be an experience. Newcastle would be my pref but I may be biased ahah. However I did biochemistry at uni and having done a few microbiology modules I’m aware that it’s quite fascinating. What’s interesting about your question is the courses are significantly different. One is more science based and ideal for research if you like that, the other is more ... management as the name suggests. So you need to ask yourself what you really enjoy doing. If you love both then your in the best position. The only advice I could give in summary is just do what really get you excited to go into uni in the morning. Both are Newcastle so that doesn’t matter. Additionally I have a few friends from Newcastle but now at Northumbria who say that the staff if more approachable? Personally I haven’t had an issue with Newcastle in this regard. Wish you all the best!
Thank you ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.26%
October 2021 (220)
45.64%
November 2021 (54)
11.2%
December 2021 (62)
12.86%
January 2021 (55)
11.41%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.51%