The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends what your studying. IC - UCL - Warwick are probably the highest rated, though that depends on who you ask :wink:
Reply 2
i have a friend who is at bristol and she really likes it. However I personally would recomend UCL it seemed really nice when I looked at it last year.
Reply 3
i think i need abit more than tht
come on!
etomac
i think i need abit more than tht
come on!

lol, seriously. I'm in the same boat as you. It's going to be quite a challenge narrowing it down to two.
UCL and Imperial probably have the most 'prestige' if that's what you're looking for.But Bristol's definitely the place to be! :wink:
*alicia*
UCL and Imperial probably have the most 'prestige' if that's what you're looking for.But Bristol's definitely the place to be! :wink:

So that's what you're choosing? I'm really leaning toward Bristol for my firm, but I'm really indecisive regarding my insurance offer.
Reply 7
feelthefiya
So that's what you're choosing? I'm really leaning toward Bristol for my firm, but I'm really indecisive regarding my insurance offer.

Which unis are you applying to? and for what subject?

Personally i'd prefer Imperial if your into the science related subjects... otherwise UCL for anything else. I have visited both Imperial and UCL and I must say UCL did have a very nice feeling to it. I felt as if I belonged. I went during the summer so there weren't many students around but i'm sure during term time it would be buzzing. Bristol is all on a hill. so it could take you 20 mins to get to class if your going downhill but then an hour to get back uphill... and knowing english whether is mostly rain this was not appealing to me. the advantages of london also really appleaed... and i don't intend going out from zone 1 during my 3 years there
Leifde
Which unis are you applying to? and for what subject?

Personally i'd prefer Imperial if your into the science related subjects... otherwise UCL for anything else. I have visited both Imperial and UCL and I must say UCL did have a very nice feeling to it. I felt as if I belonged. I went during the summer so there weren't many students around but i'm sure during term time it would be buzzing. Bristol is all on a hill. so it could take you 20 mins to get to class if your going downhill but then an hour to get back uphill... and knowing english whether is mostly rain this was not appealing to me. the advantages of london also really appleaed... and i don't intend going out from zone 1 during my 3 years there

I actually did not apply anywhere in London. I have offers from Bristol, York, Edinburgh, and Sussex, and I'm waiting on Durham, and got rejected from Oxford all in sociology. I've heard that Bristol is rather hilly, but I didn't really think about the weather before...definitely something to consider. Although walking up and down hill would sure be good for staying fit! So you're thinking London for sure?
Reply 9
feelthefiya
I actually did not apply anywhere in London. I have offers from Bristol, York, Edinburgh, and Sussex, and I'm waiting on Durham, and got rejected from Oxford all in sociology. I've heard that Bristol is rather hilly, but I didn't really think about the weather before...definitely something to consider. Although walking up and down hill would sure be good for staying fit! So you're thinking London for sure?

Yep London for sure. I've applied to LSE, UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Warwick and Queen Mary (UoL). So as you can see 4 of my choices are in London. Have recieved offers from KCL, Nottingham and Queen Mary. However I'll probably end up going to either LSE, UCL or KCL. KCL want AAB. If i get offers from LSE and UCL they will prob want AAA. the 3 london unis i want to go to have links with columbia (IVY!!!) so in 4 years i can get a law degree form the london uni and a JD for columbia- that's my dream at the mo..haha! if not the 3 london unis then nyu for finance if they want me...or my local uni to do law. I see you're from california... did u apply to any unis in the US?
Leifde
Yep London for sure. I've applied to LSE, UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Warwick and Queen Mary (UoL). So as you can see 4 of my choices are in London. Have recieved offers from KCL, Nottingham and Queen Mary. However I'll probably end up going to either LSE, UCL or KCL. KCL want AAB. If i get offers from LSE and UCL they will prob want AAA. the 3 london unis i want to go to have links with columbia (IVY!!!) so in 4 years i can get a law degree form the london uni and a JD for columbia- that's my dream at the mo..haha! if not the 3 london unis then nyu for finance if they want me...or my local uni to do law. I see you're from california... did u apply to any unis in the US?

What is a JD? Would you do a year abroad at Columbia - is that an option? Yes, I applied to UC Berkeley, Davis, and Santa Barbara, and two Cal State Campuses for safeties - I got into Chico today, so I officially know I am going to university next year! (This whole conditional offer thing is extremely stressful - puts way too much weight on the exams at the end of the year, but of course that's what everyone in Britain seems to have to go through) The only other university I applied to was UBC in Vancouver. That's my top choice in case something prevents me from going to the UK.
Reply 11
feelthefiya
What is a JD? Would you do a year abroad at Columbia - is that an option? Yes, I applied to UC Berkeley, Davis, and Santa Barbara, and two Cal State Campuses for safeties - I got into Chico today, so I officially know I am going to university next year! (This whole conditional offer thing is extremely stressful - puts way too much weight on the exams at the end of the year, but of course that's what everyone in Britain seems to have to go through) The only other university I applied to was UBC in Vancouver. That's my top choice in case something prevents me from going to the UK.

I would spend the 1st and 2nd years at the london uni and get the LLB (undergrad bachelor of laws) then i would spend the 3rd and 4th years at Columbia and get the JD which in the US is the degree you get upon completion of law school (it's a graduate degree). So i would finish up with a degree from Columbia Law School and the London Uni all in 4 years of study :smile:

What's Chico? Uni of Chicago? Anyways congrats that's brilliant. So is UK your first choice? followed by UBC? and the the Cali ones?
Leifde
I would spend the 1st and 2nd years at the london uni and get the LLB (undergrad bachelor of laws) then i would spend the 3rd and 4th years at Columbia and get the JD which in the US is the degree you get upon completion of law school (it's a graduate degree). So i would finish up with a degree from Columbia Law School and the London Uni all in 4 years of study :smile:

What's Chico? Uni of Chicago? Anyways congrats that's brilliant. So is UK your first choice? followed by UBC? and the the Cali ones?

Wow that is fantastic! Chico is actually a California State University. Not nearly as prestigious as the University of California, but it is respectable, and at least they have firmly accepted me - no conditions! But yes, Bristol is my first choice, then either Edinburgh or Sussex (can't decide my insurance), UBC, any UC, and then Chico. I'm still waiting to hear from the other California ones. Isn't this such an exciting process? It's all that's on my mind these days.
Reply 13
feelthefiya
Wow that is fantastic! Chico is actually a California State University. Not nearly as prestigious as the University of California, but it is respectable, and at least they have firmly accepted me - no conditions! But yes, Bristol is my first choice, then either Edinburgh or Sussex (can't decide my insurance), UBC, any UC, and then Chico. I'm still waiting to hear from the other California ones. Isn't this such an exciting process? It's all that's on my mind these days.

Hey i'm just a little curious... are you planning to work in the US after graduation? If so, how come you plan to go to uni in the UK? Not attacking you personally, but Berkeley is a top school in the in US so I'm sure any employer will favor that over Bristol. (Berkeley was ranked 2nd behind Harvard in a list that ranked the world's top 200 universities)

edit: and just wondering... what conditions have Bristol, Edinburgh and Sussex set?
Reply 14
My pick would be Bristol first and then Edinburgh as insurance. But hey ultimately it's your decision
Leifde
Hey i'm just a little curious... are you planning to work in the US after graduation? If so, how come you plan to go to uni in the UK? Not attacking you personally, but Berkeley is a top school in the in US so I'm sure any employer will favor that over Bristol. (Berkeley was ranked 2nd behind Harvard in a list that ranked the world's top 200 universities)

edit: and just wondering... what conditions have Bristol, Edinburgh and Sussex set?

Well I haven't completely decided what I might do after I graduate from uni, but I'm definitely considering staying in the UK (if I can). I plan to go to the UK because I went there last summer and absolutely loved it, and I'm really looking forward to the culture experience, and I'm also interested in journalism, and I feel like studying social sciences internationally would give me a really good foundation for pursuing that career.
A few things regarding Berkeley: 1) I applied there for music but now I really don't want to pursue music 2) I probably won't get in lol 3) Berkeley is SO close to home and 4) It's just a flat out weird place. The campus is nice, but once you set foot off the campus, you don't know who/what you're going to run into on the street!
Conditions are based on AP test scores. They are scored from 1-5, with 5 being the highest. Bristol wants 5 4 4, Edinburgh wants a 4 in Spanish or Music Theory, Sussex wants 3 3 3, and York wants 4 4 4 4. Bristol is by far the toughest, so I really have to make sure I feel strongly about my insurance, and that the conditions are obtainable.
Leifde
My pick would be Bristol first and then Edinburgh as insurance. But hey ultimately it's your decision

True. Actually one thing that is holding me back from choosing Edinburgh, is that I applied for the 3-year sociology degree - which is an "Ordinary Degree". Do you know much about the difference between the ordinary degree and the four-year degree? I didn't even realize that it would be a different level of degree when I applied, which is silly of me, but I applied for 3 years for financial reasons.
Reply 17
feelthefiya
Well I haven't completely decided what I might do after I graduate from uni, but I'm definitely considering staying in the UK (if I can). I plan to go to the UK because I went there last summer and absolutely loved it, and I'm really looking forward to the culture experience, and I'm also interested in journalism, and I feel like studying social sciences internationally would give me a really good foundation for pursuing that career.
A few things regarding Berkeley: 1) I applied there for music but now I really don't want to pursue music 2) I probably won't get in lol 3) Berkeley is SO close to home and 4) It's just a flat out weird place. The campus is nice, but once you set foot off the campus, you don't know who/what you're going to run into on the street!
Conditions are based on AP test scores. They are scored from 1-5, with 5 being the highest. Bristol wants 5 4 4, Edinburgh wants a 4 in Spanish or Music Theory, Sussex wants 3 3 3, and York wants 4 4 4 4. Bristol is by far the toughest, so I really have to make sure I feel strongly about my insurance, and that the conditions are obtainable.

Haha yes I've herad stories about the weirdness of Berkeley. It's good that you seem to know where you want to go in life.
With your UK offers: If you think you can make Bristol, go for it! You applied for music at Berkeley which leads me to believe that you are well accomplished. Now since Edinburgh is ONLY asking for one result: a 4 in music theory or spanish i say you sit both AP tests and hopefully your experiences and knowledge in music will lead you to achieving the result you need. However if you are having doubts about that than it may be well considering sussex. I've heard from a friend who is applying there, that Edinburgh is a very beautiful place. However it is up north in Scotland so it will be very cold- something i'm sure you're not used to living in CA lol!
Reply 18
But am i right in saying that in the US you do not have to declare a major until the end of your somo year. You can do general courses and some music and sociology course in the first two years and then you could always switch from music to sociology a major in your third year
Reply 19
feelthefiya
True. Actually one thing that is holding me back from choosing Edinburgh, is that I applied for the 3-year sociology degree - which is an "Ordinary Degree". Do you know much about the difference between the ordinary degree and the four-year degree? I didn't even realize that it would be a different level of degree when I applied, which is silly of me, but I applied for 3 years for financial reasons.

oh ... sorry didn't read this post b 4 posting my 2 earlier replies. i'm not quite sure by what you mean when you say "ordinary degree". all my applications for law is 3 years in length, unless ofcourse i can convert onto the Columbia course- however this can only happen once i get there not at the time of application. i know that for law, all the 4 year courses involve a year studying abroad (not to be confused with a dual degree which is what columbia is) and so it's up to the applicant on whether they want to do this or not. However at the end of the course they finsh with an "LLB with a year study abroad" or an "LLB with French Law" if that is where you went to study, instead of just an "LLB" which is what one whould get if they did the 3 year course.

basically my point is both student in the above senerio would still end up with an LLB. However in your case is the degree different? for example for the 3 year course you would get a BA whereas in teh 4 year course one would get a MSc?

Latest