The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
quite off topic there..
so Bristol is too far that's all i heard
and London is great (for reputation)
perhaps I will just look at the Uni's board in here.
Leifde
oh ... sorry didn't read this post b 4 posting my 2 earlier replies. i'm not quite sure by what you mean when you say "ordinary degree". all my applications for law is 3 years in length, unless ofcourse i can convert onto the Columbia course- however this can only happen once i get there not at the time of application. i know that for law, all the 4 year courses involve a year studying abroad (not to be confused with a dual degree which is what columbia is) and so it's up to the applicant on whether they want to do this or not. However at the end of the course they finsh with an "LLB with a year study abroad" or an "LLB with French Law" if that is where you went to study, instead of just an "LLB" which is what one whould get if they did the 3 year course.

basically my point is both student in the above senerio would still end up with an LLB. However in your case is the degree different? for example for the 3 year course you would get a BA whereas in teh 4 year course one would get a MSc?

Alright I'm going to try to respond to your last 3 posts in this one. So would you say that from the four uni's I have offers from (York, Edinburgh, Sussex, and Bristol) that Bristol is the most highly-acclaimed?
While it's true that in the American universities your course is not set in stone the first couple of years, music is the only way I could get into Berkeley at all, and as I have not been preparing for my auditions which are NEXT month, I don't foresee an offer from Berkeley.
Regarding the ordinary degree...from what I understand, 4-year courses are the custom of Scottish universities, instead of the 3 at English universities. Therefore, since I applied for the 3-year sociology course, the degree I will obtain is called an "ordinary degree" which is less regarded than the degree obtained from a 4-year course.
and about the weather, it doesn't matter where in the UK I end up - it will be quite a shock!! hehe
Reply 22
ok lets just focus on ur UK offers. Yes, in my opinion and may others I believe, Bristol is the most highly acclaimed. I've heard a rumor that many Oxbridge rejectees, that are home students, tend to gravitate towards Bristol.
Scottish degrees are 4 years in length because they complete one year of high school less that students in England sitting the A-Levels. But you've applied for a 3 year course in Scotland instead or normal 4 year couse, right? And so you feel this is less valued? Ok well I see your point but it's really up to you to research and find out whether this is the case, and so if you do go to Edinbrgh are you at a disadvantage for not taking the normal 4 year course. I would help you out here but i have 4 exams this week and am screwed if i don't start revising. so i'm gonna go... jsut make a decision you are most comfortable with
Leifde
ok lets just focus on ur UK offers. Yes, in my opinion and may others I believe, Bristol is the most highly acclaimed. I've heard a rumor that many Oxbridge rejectees, that are home students, tend to gravitate towards Bristol.
Scottish degrees are 4 years in length because they complete one year of high school less that students in England sitting the A-Levels. But you've applied for a 3 year course in Scotland instead or normal 4 year couse, right? And so you feel this is less valued? Ok well I see your point but it's really up to you to research and find out whether this is the case, and so if you do go to Edinbrgh are you at a disadvantage for not taking the normal 4 year course. I would help you out here but i have 4 exams this week and am screwed if i don't start revising. so i'm gonna go... jsut make a decision you are most comfortable with

Thanks so much for your help and good luck on your exams! I'm in the same boat as you, I've got 5 over Wed, Thurs, Friday...
Reply 24
etomac
quite off topic there..
so Bristol is too far that's all i heard
and London is great (for reputation)
perhaps I will just look at the Uni's board in here.

If you go to the board for your course, people will be able to tell you which is better, or has better rep etc, different facilities, different course structure. If you want to know general stuff about the uni, go on the uni's board...only people who go the specific unis or who have applied there will be on t hose boards, they will know more.
Reply 25
etomac
I am applying to Bristol, IC, UCL, Sheffield, Manchester, Warwick

Can you give me some advices and comments about the place. And also the Uni itself?

Because the next time I go to UK I will be studying in one of those already.

what courses did u apply for?
r u from HK? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending