The Student Room Group

Applying after dropping out - mental health and maintenance

Hi!

Just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on this!

I'll be applying for an art and design foundation course in London - so will eventually be at uni for 4 years, including this foundation.

I'm 23 right now but would be 25 by the time I would be starting my course.
I dropped out in second year due to mental health issues and have a letter stating my case.

My first question is - would SFE fund me my entire 4 years at uni after I dropped out and provided evidence of my poor mental health? I've read that they only provide 4 years of student finance and nothing more.

My second question is - If I'm 25 when I start uni but have been living with my parents up until I leave for uni, do they still class me as an independent student? Unfortunately I can't afford anything with the maintenance loan (if I had to put down my parents income) as they wouldn't support me and the maintenance loan wouldn't even cover my living costs.

Just freaking out a bit as I'm worried about even being able to get my loan in the first place never mind having enough money lol
Is the "foundation course" a foundation year integrated into a BA/BSc/etc degree programme, a foundation degree, or an art foundation diploma course (FAD course)? The latter is not an HE course and does not affect your entitlement for funding for a HE course. The former two might.

You can apply for compelling personal reasons (CPR) outlining why you had to leave you prior course, and you may be awarded an additional year of funding. Otherwise the funding calculation is normally "length of current course, plus one, minus the number of years in higher education". So if your current course were 4 years long, and you had two years of prior study in HE, then you would end up with 4+1-2=3 years of funding remaining. As you wouldn't have enough funding to cover the costs of the full course, you would need to self fund tuition fees for the first year back in your new course, unless you applied for and were granted CPR.

You should be eligible for a maintenance loan in that first self-funded year however, assuming it is part of an HE course funded by SFE. However as above, if it's a FAD course then it is an FE course (not HE) and not eligible for undergraduate funding from SFE (although may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Is the "foundation course" a foundation year integrated into a BA/BSc/etc degree programme, a foundation degree, or an art foundation diploma course (FAD course)? The latter is not an HE course and does not affect your entitlement for funding for a HE course. The former two might.

You can apply for compelling personal reasons (CPR) outlining why you had to leave you prior course, and you may be awarded an additional year of funding. Otherwise the funding calculation is normally "length of current course, plus one, minus the number of years in higher education". So if your current course were 4 years long, and you had two years of prior study in HE, then you would end up with 4+1-2=3 years of funding remaining. As you wouldn't have enough funding to cover the costs of the full course, you would need to self fund tuition fees for the first year back in your new course, unless you applied for and were granted CPR.

You should be eligible for a maintenance loan in that first self-funded year however, assuming it is part of an HE course funded by SFE. However as above, if it's a FAD course then it is an FE course (not HE) and not eligible for undergraduate funding from SFE (although may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan).

Hi, thanks for replying so quick -

it would be an Arts and Design foundation (level 3) course. I assume I'd be eligible for Advanced Learner Loan anyway but does this mean I wouldn't even be able to get any maintenance money whatsoever? I assume the Advanced Learner Loan only covers your actual course costs?
Original post by lilbean97

it would be an Arts and Design foundation (level 3) course. I assume I'd be eligible for Advanced Learner Loan anyway but does this mean I wouldn't even be able to get any maintenance money whatsoever? I assume the Advanced Learner Loan only covers your actual course costs?

I believe that for a FAD course you are not eligible for a maintenance loan from SFE, as it is FE and not HE, and my understanding is the ALL only goes towards the tuition fees. However this does mean it won't affect your entitlement for further funding from SFE. However as above, if you previously studied for two years in uni then dropped out, you will have one year "outstanding" which you will need to self fund (which will be the first year in the degree programme), unless you apply for CPR.
Hi!

Just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on this!

I'll be applying for an art and design foundation course in London - so will eventually be at uni for 4 years, including this foundation.

I dropped out in second year due to mental health issues and have a letter stating my case.

My first question is - would SFE fund me my entire 4 years at uni after I dropped out and provided evidence of my poor mental health? I've read that they only provide 4 years of student finance and nothing more.

My second question is - If I'm 25 when I start uni but have been living with my parents up until I leave for uni, do they still class me as an independent student? Unfortunately I can't afford anything with the maintenance loan (if I had to put down my parents income) as they wouldn't support me and the maintenance loan wouldn't even cover my living costs.

Just freaking out a bit as I'm worried about even being able to get my loan in the first place never mind having enough money lol

Hi,
Students can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

You won't be classed as independent unless you are 25 before the 1st day of the academic year, so 01/09/2021 if you are starting this year.

You stated you have 2 years of previous study.

Your calculation will be 3+1-2= 2 years of funding, you will have to self fund the first year of your new course unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

When do you turn 25? When does your course start? What is your marital status?

Thanks, Isaac

If your level 3 course is further education then it will attract an Advanced Learner Loan and you will only be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan http://ow.ly/7LGy30oSeKg
No Maintenance Loan.

Your previous higher education study won't affect eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi,
Students can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

You won't be classed as independent unless you are 25 before the 1st day of the academic year, so 01/09/2021 if you are starting this year.

You stated you have 2 years of previous study.

Your calculation will be 3+1-2= 2 years of funding, you will have to self fund the first year of your new course unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

When do you turn 25? When does your course start? What is your marital status?

Thanks, Isaac

I would be applying for September 2022, sorry, so I would be 25 before first day of uni. I assume course would start in September as usual, like I say I haven't applied and dates aren't out for next year yet. I'm single.

I have evidence for CPP, yes i mean would my previous 2 years of loan not matter if I provide evidence and it's accepted?

thanks
Reply 7
Incase anybody else sees this -

I understand that if I was doing a futher education diploma first I could get an Advance Learner Loan but I'm unable to fund that year of living costs - is there any other loans LIKE a maintenance loan that would help me or am I just completely stuck now :frown:
Incase anybody else sees this -

I understand that if I was doing a futher education diploma first I could get an Advance Learner Loan but I'm unable to fund that year of living costs - is there any other loans LIKE a maintenance loan that would help me or am I just completely stuck now :frown:

Some learning providers offer a bursary, you could ask your learning provider about this.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending