Cambridge - MPhil Advanced Computer Science - Entry 2021

Watch
yulisunny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just logged into my portal and it says "Unsuccessful - Your application has been unsuccessful."

Good luck everyone. I am going to Yale.
the_student_2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yulisunny)
Just logged into my portal and it says "Unsuccessful - Your application has been unsuccessful."

Sorry to hear that. Was this after an interview?

I wish you good luck at Yale!
yulisunny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the_student_2)
Sorry to hear that. Was this after an interview?

I wish you good luck at Yale!
Yeah, I did poorly, so not unexpected.
corzcorz123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yulisunny)

Hey there! Firstly, congrats on getting Yale! That's incredible.

Do you mind sharing when you had your interview?

I had mine recently, and i'm curious about how long it typically takes to receive an outcome.
FabulousTrifle0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by corzcorz123)
Hey there! Firstly, congrats on getting Yale! That's incredible.

Do you mind sharing when you had your interview?

I had mine recently, and i'm curious about how long it typically takes to receive an outcome.
According to an email from Cambridge, there are three application rounds. The first round were given their decisions in January, I believe. They seem to be going through and giving the second round their decisions now. Applications in the third round are apparently reviewed in April. So it’ll likely depend on how recently you had your interview, and which round you fall under.

I had my interview over 2 months ago, and I am still waiting!
corzcorz123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FabulousTrifle0)
According to an email from Cambridge, there are three application rounds. The first round were given their decisions in January, I believe. They seem to be going through and giving the second round their decisions now. Applications in the third round are apparently reviewed in April. So it’ll likely depend on how recently you had your interview, and which round you fall under.

I had my interview over 2 months ago, and I am still waiting!
Ah thanks! Good to know.

I'm guessing an interview in March would be final around then.

Best of luck with your application!
cngzlsh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Cambridge is annoying me.
If they don’t get back to me in 5 days I will withdraw my application and accept UCL’s offer.
Chanella3620
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi i applied for the Masters in advanced computer science for the 1st of oct 2021 intake.
I submitted my application on the 7th of Feb 2021.

My status on the portal says under review by department for almost 6 weeks with no change in the status.

I haven't received any news from the uni.

Is this a red flag or is there still hope?

i am getting very anxious now.

please tell me what to do.
EdwardJCornel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Same here. No further progess until now.
Chanella3620
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi guys, any feedback or interviews for people who applied in Feb 2021?
salim909090
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi everyone, great to see all ACS applicants in one thread. i applied in December and had my interview in the beginning of January and still did not hear anything
Sfaradi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by salim909090)
hi everyone, great to see all ACS applicants in one thread. i applied in December and had my interview in the beginning of January and still did not hear anything
Heya Salim, many of us have had a similar timeline to yours, but still no news. I was told that I was waitkisted but that’s all : (

I think that they won’t release any further decisions until all applications are reviewed.

Also, do you mind sharing your background/stats?
salim909090
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sfaradi)
Heya Salim, many of us have had a similar timeline to yours, but still no news. I was told that I was waitkisted but that’s all : (

I think that they won’t release any further decisions until all applications are reviewed.

Also, do you mind sharing your background/stats?
hi sfaradi, i am in my final year in manchester uni studying cs. what about you?
i did not receive any email about the waitlist but i assume that i am part of it as the portal says under review by department
Sfaradi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by salim909090)
hi sfaradi, i am in my final year in manchester uni studying cs. what about you?
i did not receive any email about the waitlist but i assume that i am part of it as the portal says under review by department
- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MPhil Advanced Computer Science
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial

Lets hope they release decisions ASAP!!!
Sfaradi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cngzlsh)
Cambridge is annoying me.
If they don’t get back to me in 5 days I will withdraw my application and accept UCL’s offer.
Do they require a deposit? Cause if not, you can play it dirty and reject UCL if Cambridge offers you a place.

Also, what research group have you applied for? Cause I believe (my opinion) that the chances of getting an offer depends on it.

There are 8 research groups, two of them being "Natural Language and Information Processing Group" and "Artificial Intelligence Group". Many (as in many) of the people I have spoken to have applied to the NLP group, hence being a bit overcrowded. Cambridge cannot afford (in my opinion) to have 90% of students in one group and the other 10% scattered through the rest of the 7 groups. They need to make groups have a reasonable and well-distributed amount students. So if you applied for (lets say) the Security Group then I think (again, it's my logic, no one told me this) you have higher chances.

Let us know!
cngzlsh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do they require a deposit? Cause if not, you can play it dirty and reject UCL if Cambridge offers you a place.

Also, what research group have you applied for? Cause I believe (my opinion) that the chances of getting an offer depends on it.

There are 8 research groups, two of them being "Natural Language and Information Processing Group" and "Artificial Intelligence Group". Many (as in many) of the people I have spoken to have applied to the NLP group, hence being a bit overcrowded. Cambridge cannot afford (in my opinion) to have 90% of students in one group and the other 10% scattered through the rest of the 7 groups. They need to make groups have a reasonable and well-distributed amount students. So if you applied for (lets say) the Security Group then I think (again, it's my logic, no one told me this) you have higher chances.

Let us know!
They did - and the deposit deadline is 1 Apr.
I applied for the NLP group as well.
Tbh UCL isn’t the best placed to do NLP, Edinburgh and Cambridge are probably better.
FabulousTrifle0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I also interviewed in Jan, and haven’t heard back.

I'm totally baffled by how long it's taking!

And yeah, I suspect that AI/NLP have a disproportionately high number of applicants. They'd never release the information, but I'd like to see the number of applicants per research group.
Sfaradi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cngzlsh)
They did - and the deposit deadline is 1 Apr.
I applied for the NLP group as well.
Tbh UCL isn’t the best placed to do NLP, Edinburgh and Cambridge are probably better.
Arghhh, I feel you. Then it makes sense if you withdraw from Cambridge if the deadline is that close. Fingers crossed tho!

Also, did you apply to Edinburgh?
Rojst
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cambridge is half the price of UCL so even if you just abandon the deposit and go to Cambridge you'll still be net positive over just going to UCL
cngzlsh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Arghhh, I feel you. Then it makes sense if you withdraw from Cambridge if the deadline is that close. Fingers crossed tho!

Also, did you apply to Edinburgh?
I did - and they said they won’t get back to me until mid May so I’m not considering that either.
Tbh I think the UCL programme might suit me better because my background is not in CS but in stats (at UCL). Hope your application turns back positive! Best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (67)
18.98%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.45%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.82%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.85%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.12%
Taster lectures or seminars (75)
21.25%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.95%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (14)
3.97%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.68%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.27%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.98%

Watched Threads