how lenient are queen mary uni for gcse entry requirments?

Watch
thisisraniaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
if i were to get their A level requirements, but my GCSEs were low. Would I be considered?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Each course page will list the 'required' GCSEs for each course - if there are any. You must meet any GCSE requirements in full.
GCSE requirements are about basic skills (typically Maths and English), and Unis will not be lenient. If you don't have the grades they want, they will reject you. Remember that you can usually retake GCSE English and Maths alongside your A levels etc, even if you just do the revision yourself , and then get entered for the exams - just ask your school.

Even if there are not specific requirements, Unis may also assess your 'GCSE profile' as part of their overall assessment of your application. However, this will be a very small percentage of the overall score. Typically it will be something like A levels 40%, PS 40% and GCSEs 20%, as they will be far more interested in your A levels and PS. Every Uni, every course will be different - but your GCSEs are very unlikely to be the deal breaker so don't worry.
thisisraniaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Each course page will list the 'required' GCSEs for each course - if there are any. You must meet any GCSE requirements in full.
GCSE requirements are about basic skills (typically Maths and English), and Unis will not be lenient. If you don't have the grades they want, they will reject you. Remember that you can usually retake GCSE English and Maths alongside your A levels etc, even if you just do the revision yourself , and then get entered for the exams - just ask your school.

Even if there are not specific requirements, Unis may also assess your 'GCSE profile' as part of their overall assessment of your application. However, this will be a very small percentage of the overall score. Typically it will be something like A levels 40%, PS 40% and GCSEs 20%, as they will be far more interested in your A levels and PS. Every Uni, every course will be different - but your GCSEs are very unlikely to be the deal breaker so don't worry.
hm well i passed all my GCSEs, however, queen mary wants all 7s to do law which I do not have. I was wondering, if I were to meet their a level requirements but be under their gcse requirements, is that still a disadvantage? also, since I am doing law they mainly look at GCSE English. If I were to have a 7 in English but the rest of my gcses were lets say 4s and 5s where would that put me
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by thisisraniaaa)
hm well i passed all my GCSEs, however, queen mary wants all 7s to do law which I do not have. I was wondering, if I were to meet their a level requirements but be under their gcse requirements, is that still a disadvantage? also, since I am doing law they mainly look at GCSE English. If I were to have a 7 in English but the rest of my gcses were lets say 4s and 5s where would that put me
Where exactly does it say they want "all 7s"? Their website states this:

"At least six GCSE passes at grades AAAABB or 777766 are required, including English and Mathematics."

So that's what you require. It's not "all 7s", although they do evidently want four 7s, and English and Maths to at least a 6. If you don't have that, just apply to other law degrees which do not have those GCSE requirements. Cambridge has no GCSE requirements, for example.
thisisraniaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Where exactly does it say they want "all 7s"? Their website states this:

"At least six GCSE passes at grades AAAABB or 777766 are required, including English and Mathematics."

So that's what you require. It's not "all 7s", although they do evidently want four 7s, and English and Maths to at least a 6. If you don't have that, just apply to other law degrees which do not have those GCSE requirements. Cambridge has no GCSE requirements, for example.
well if i do business with law, I heard its not a full law qualification. I'm unsure which other law degrees give a full law degree.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
well if i do business with law, I heard its not a full law qualification. I'm unsure which other law degrees give a full law degree.
The course pages should pretty clearly state whether a degree is a qualifying law degree (QLD) or not. That said, you don't need a QLD to become a solicitor anymore, just to become a barrister. To become a solicitor now you will take the SQE, although if you don't have a first degree in law you will probably need to do some kind of course to prepare for that. If you want to become a barrister then you do need a QLD, although it doesn't matter whether this is from an undergraduate law degree (LLB, or BA at Oxbridge or the LSE Anthropology & Law course) or a graduate diploma in law (GDL).
thisisraniaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The course pages should pretty clearly state whether a degree is a qualifying law degree (QLD) or not. That said, you don't need a QLD to become a solicitor anymore, just to become a barrister. To become a solicitor now you will take the SQE, although if you don't have a first degree in law you will probably need to do some kind of course to prepare for that. If you want to become a barrister then you do need a QLD, although it doesn't matter whether this is from an undergraduate law degree (LLB, or BA at Oxbridge or the LSE Anthropology & Law course) or a graduate diploma in law (GDL).
so to make it clear, would I be able to do business with law at queen mary, then pass the SQE to become a solicitor?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
so to make it clear, would I be able to do business with law at queen mary, then pass the SQE to become a solicitor?
Yeah, you could also study underwater basket weaving and take the SQE. However, one of the SQE exams required for those with a non-law degree requires you to have knowledge of the law, so I gather you practically need to do some kind of prep course which covers essentially the same content as a GDL, I think? I'd recommend you check what the requirements are and how one would prepare for it before making any final decisions. If you know you want to go into the legal sector for certain though you may as well try and do a law degree in the first instance. If you aren't sure, then do another degree and be assured you can still go into the legal sector later if you so desire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.44%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.56%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.22%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.44%

Watched Threads