Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all!
I missed my oxbridge deadline. I got offers from KCL and QMUL recently. Is there any, any way I can apply now to Oxbridge for 2021 entry- even for a foundation year. I really want to apply to Oxbridge. What should I do???
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all!
I missed my oxbridge deadline. I got offers from KCL and QMUL recently. Is there any, any way I can apply now to Oxbridge for 2021 entry- even for a foundation year. I really want to apply to Oxbridge. What should I do???
No, the Oxbridge deadline was mid October, really should’ve been preparing for this a long time in advance with the application pretty much ready to go by the start of year 13, as their are also aptitude test you need to enter alongside your application.

Not only has the Oxbridge deadline gone, they have already had all the interviews and made the decisions.

You can look at the 2022 cycle though.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Call them they should accept you
Anonymous #1
Call them they should accept you
How come?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
How come?
Because they feel sorry for you lol
Anonymous #1
Do they accept transfers?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, never go to university with the goal of transferring, the UK system is not designed to cater to it.

You would have to re-apply for year 1 entry regardless, and I think they may not even consider your application for undergraduate study as long as you are enrolled in another university
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both Oxford and Cambridge state very clearly on their admissions pages they do not accept transfers into higher years of their degree programmes, and only consider applications for first year entry. Also Oxford indicates they will normally only consider such applicants with "strong support" from your current uni, and Cambridge to my knowledge does not consider applications from students at other unis at all and require the would-be applicant to drop out of their course to reapply.

If you want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, you will realistically need to take a gap year.
Anonymous #1
I got an offer from KIng's. How is that in terms of reputation when compared to oxford?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got an offer from KIng's. How is that in terms of reputation when compared to oxford?
Kings is an excellent university, very good reputation. It may vary on subject specific reputation. But it is definitely a rung below Oxbridge, prestige wise.

The other thing is: you matter more then the university, what you do & achieve at university is more important then where you go.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
Bionet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all!
Most people spend a good year or 2 preparing for Oxbridge. So unlucky, not happening unless you reapply next year for 2022 entry.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bionet)
Most people spend a good year or 2 preparing for Oxbridge.
I don't think they do.
Bionet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I don't think they do.
Quite a few people who get all 9s at GCSE are already considering Oxbridge, and do extra reading etc to work towards it. Most people who I know did extension classes etc from the start of sixth form, or even beforehand to start preparing.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you really want to go to Oxford or Cambridge (pick one) then you cancel your UCAS application and apply after getting your results for 2022 entry. Although I'd find it hard to believe that having missed the deadline you suddenly want to go there so much as to delay a year for it.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Quite a few people who get all 9s at GCSE are already considering Oxbridge, and do extra reading etc to work towards it. Most people who I know did extension classes etc from the start of sixth form, or even beforehand to start preparing.
Defs not everyone - you can be a straight A* (pre GCSE grade change) student and never ever have Oxbridge on your radar. That was the case for me - I didn't even look at/know about those unis til a teacher mentioned it, and that was April/May of Y12. Many sixth forms if they do talk about Oxbridge, won't do it until around January/spring!

Fact is only a comparatively small proportion of the over 3000 secondaries make up a majority of the Oxbridge applications/offers - the vast majority have perhaps one applicant per year if that, and no real programme of support like those with regular applicants.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
I know a person who pulled it off - they were studying at LSE/UCL/KCL/Imperial to start again in Y1 at Oxbridge.
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
I know a person who pulled it off - they were studying at LSE/UCL/KCL/Imperial to start again in Y1 at Oxbridge.
Oh how was that possible? Did they reapply whilst at uni to Oxford? Lol I wonder how he told his tutor and how they reacted?
one_two_three
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Most tutors would not oppose a transfer of university and will be willing to write your personal statement. It doesn't really matter a great deal to the tutor if you are at their university or not. A good tutor will sit down and talk to you about it, and if they know you (because you attend), they will even provide you with advice on application, the chances of acceptance, whether it is a good fit and career advice depending on what you want to do and what the two universities can offer. Because your tutor does not rely on you for their job, they are a good to go for advice because they are in the system and can be impartial.

But it is expensive to sit first year twice and if I was in that position, I can think of better things to spend £9000 on.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think most people are like that. Might be wrong.

Fact is only a comparatively small proportion of the over 3000 secondaries make up a majority of the Oxbridge applications/offers - the vast majority have perhaps one applicant per year if that, and no real programme of support like those with regular applicants.
That's probably about right - if you remove the best performing quarter of schools, they typically get about 1200 students in out of 2900 schools, so about 2 every 5 years for your average school within that.

(Original post by one_two_three)
But it is expensive to sit first year twice and if I was in that position, I can think of better things to spend £9000 on.
You could argue though, that the vast majority of people will never repay their student loans as they currently stand, so an extra £9000 won't exactly make much difference.

There are lots of factors to consider but Oxbridge grads do significantly out-earn Russel group grads on average - about £5k yearly seems to be a fairly consistent report. If you just take that at fact value a transfer would be worth far far more than £9000 (maybe they'd even pay off that student loan! )
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh how was that possible? Did they reapply whilst at uni to Oxford? Lol I wonder how he told his tutor and how they reacted?
Thread on here somewhere else too but you get your school teachers to write the reference, mention your in higher education anyway so you're not lying. If they bring it up in the interview, saying "I'm continuing to study academically".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (199)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (571)
14.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (443)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (541)
13.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (196)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (236)
5.99%
Loneliness (331)
8.41%
Financial worries (145)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (154)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (178)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (221)
5.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (353)
8.96%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (370)
9.4%

Watched Threads