Unknownx12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The deadline for my EPQ is in a few days but I was wondering if all my references had to be done in the Harvard style?
Also how many sources would I need to evaluate in order to obtain the higher marks?
thank you!
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My supervisor advised us to use Harvard, but depending on the topic and what referencing system a majority of sources use, then you can always use them rather than Harvard. As, I'm doing a science project, and most of the articles use the Vancouver referencing system rather than Harvard.

Also..if you want to quite generate references, I would use cite this for me (https://www.citethisforme.com/) but make sure you always check the generated reference to make sure it's formatted correctly.

In regards to your second question on the number of sources, my supervisor advised us that if we were going for the higher bands, then around 30, but make sure you have a variety of sources (books, videos, websites, newspaper articles etc.) as that forms a part of AO2, I believe. However 30 is just a benchmark, it's not always necessary as number of sources don't equal higher marks..most of the marks come from your production log and keeping deadlines and being organsied etc. I've ot around 20 sources, not included sources that then cite another source e.g John cites Adam's work in his paper on xyz. Lastly when using sources, evaluate them making sure you record their credibility, author(s)+editor(s). any potenital bias, is the author an expert, is the source relevant and up to date etc.

Hope that helps!
Unknownx12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
My supervisor advised us to use Harvard, but depending on the topic and what referencing system a majority of sources use, then you can always use them rather than Harvard. As, I'm doing a science project, and most of the articles use the Vancouver referencing system rather than Harvard.

Also..if you want to quite generate references, I would use cite this for me (https://www.citethisforme.com/) but make sure you always check the generated reference to make sure it's formatted correctly.

In regards to your second question on the number of sources, my supervisor advised us that if we were going for the higher bands, then around 30, but make sure you have a variety of sources (books, videos, websites, newspaper articles etc.) as that forms a part of AO2, I believe. However 30 is just a benchmark, it's not always necessary as number of sources don't equal higher marks..most of the marks come from your production log and keeping deadlines and being organsied etc. I've ot around 20 sources, not included sources that then cite another source e.g John cites Adam's work in his paper on xyz. Lastly when using sources, evaluate them making sure you record their credibility, author(s)+editor(s). any potenital bias, is the author an expert, is the source relevant and up to date etc.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much !!! your answer is very detailed and useful. Currently, I have done 20 sources evaluate but if I have time I will aim for 30. Also, my project is more humanities-based so I didn't use Havard referring all the time. I think some of my references were Havard style and others were not.
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Unknownx12)
Thank you so much !!! your answer is very detailed and useful. Currently, I have done 20 sources evaluate but if I have time I will aim for 30. Also, my project is more humanities-based so I didn't use Havard referring all the time. I think some of my references were Havard style and others were not.
Keep in mind that all of your references should be in the same referencing system to show consistency. Have them all either in Harvard form or an alternative form, rather than a mix of both.
Sm 002 u mug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Useful website for Harvard referencing: Citethisforme. Got an A* in my EPQ last Thursday and used that, life saver!
Unknownx12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sm 002 u mug)
Useful website for Harvard referencing: Citethisforme. Got an A* in my EPQ last Thursday and used that, life saver!
Thank you!
Unknownx12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
Keep in mind that all of your references should be in the same referencing system to show consistency. Have them all either in Harvard form or an alternative form, rather than a mix of both.
Thank you! I'll make sure to do that before the deadline
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed