The Student Room Group

Triple / Combined Science?

Is there a very big difference between doing combined Science and triple science? I regret not doing Triple now because I want to do chemistry and biology at A Level
yeah there’s a difference, tbh for triple you just have to learn more things and it’s a different, much harder exam
Reply 2
Triple science has a bit more content which really helps to set you up for your A-levels, if you do well on your combined science exams, you could as if it's possible to move to triple? It depends on how far along the course you are
Reply 3
Original post by R35qetos
Is there a very big difference between doing combined Science and triple science? I regret not doing Triple now because I want to do chemistry and biology at A Level

Ahhh, that so sad, Its really DIFFERENT literally triple science learns so much more content e.g. the ear and brain, combined do not do any of the interesting medical kind of work, If you have a chance to change it then 100 percent change it
Besides if you do combined science in GCSE and do A level Biology and Chemistry It will be really hard for you to manage as triple science get taught the basics of A level

However, you can do combined science and still do A level Biology and chemistry but it will get really hard for you to keep up in Year 12,13 but it is manageable if your willing to put in the extra work.

Triple Science is harder though, this is a key point, if your good in science and are getting over 75 percents in test and actually have a genuine interest then do triple. However if your not good in science or do not really find it interesting then don't as then you will do Foundation Triple Science which the highest grade is 5 and will regret not choosing combined as you will probably do higher in that

In my school. probably same as yours, you have 9 science lessons a week so in 5 days you will have 9 or 10 science lessons, if this sounds a bit kind of bad to you and you would not want that many science lessons a week then chose combined

If after reading the lessons you feel happy or okay with it and would actually enjoy this many science lessons then pick triple science even if you are a bit bad at it as if you enjoy something and are passionate towards it you will do Good!

But again, if your having the dreams of doing A level bio and chem and the 9 lessons don't really sound good then I don't even think you should take A level biology and chemistry, as when you look at the books and content they cover, 9 lessons of science is like 20 percent of it

This is just something you should think about as I personally know so many dum students who actually picked triple thinking that they would do fine and get grade 3! I am not saying this is you but I always tell anyone thinking of choosing that its not really a joke!
Reply 4
Original post by og-icon
Ahhh, that so sad, Its really DIFFERENT literally triple science learns so much more content e.g. the ear and brain, combined do not do any of the interesting medical kind of work, If you have a chance to change it then 100 percent change it
Besides if you do combined science in GCSE and do A level Biology and Chemistry It will be really hard for you to manage as triple science get taught the basics of A level

However, you can do combined science and still do A level Biology and chemistry but it will get really hard for you to keep up in Year 12,13 but it is manageable if your willing to put in the extra work.

Triple Science is harder though, this is a key point, if your good in science and are getting over 75 percents in test and actually have a genuine interest then do triple. However if your not good in science or do not really find it interesting then don't as then you will do Foundation Triple Science which the highest grade is 5 and will regret not choosing combined as you will probably do higher in that

In my school. probably same as yours, you have 9 science lessons a week so in 5 days you will have 9 or 10 science lessons, if this sounds a bit kind of bad to you and you would not want that many science lessons a week then chose combined

If after reading the lessons you feel happy or okay with it and would actually enjoy this many science lessons then pick triple science even if you are a bit bad at it as if you enjoy something and are passionate towards it you will do Good!

But again, if your having the dreams of doing A level bio and chem and the 9 lessons don't really sound good then I don't even think you should take A level biology and chemistry, as when you look at the books and content they cover, 9 lessons of science is like 20 percent of it

This is just something you should think about as I personally know so many dum students who actually picked triple thinking that they would do fine and get grade 3! I am not saying this is you but I always tell anyone thinking of choosing that its not really a joke!

Yes this is true
I did triple science and whilst studying a-level biology, most of my class had done combined science. A lot of were on the same level as me because they put in the effort when we started learning. But a lot of them also thought it was going to be easy and got dropped to another subject
Reply 5
Original post by t0897
Yes this is true
I did triple science and whilst studying a-level biology, most of my class had done combined science. A lot of were on the same level as me because they put in the effort when we started learning. But a lot of them also thought it was going to be easy and got dropped to another subject

I have 8-8 as off now in Combined Science I'm finishing year 10 soon. I am willing to put in the extra work and learn more I can't swap unfortunately. I know I can do well in the a levels if I work really hard and I will I'm just thinking if it will look bad on my application?
Hi! This is the clearest thing you will be told. Triple doesn’t have more topics than combined, it just expands on the same topics and there is NO problem with doing combined and then science alevels. My friend did combined and got all A*s with the science alevels and I have done triple and for me there was NO advantage. I also wished I did combined. Triple was too stressful and I also thought it was a requirement at alevel plus you learn everything again in college/sixth form. So do not absolutely worry and pick those alevels!!!
Reply 7
Original post by SparkleFace
Hi! This is the clearest thing you will be told. Triple doesn’t have more topics than combined, it just expands on the same topics and there is NO problem with doing combined and then science alevels. My friend did combined and got all A*s with the science alevels and I have done triple and for me there was NO advantage. I also wished I did combined. Triple was too stressful and I also thought it was a requirement at alevel plus you learn everything again in college/sixth form. So do not absolutely worry and pick those alevels!!!

Oof... Thank you this really helped! I'm willing to put in as much work as possible to it!! :smile: So you go over triple science topics at a level, is that right? :smile:
Oof... Thank you this really helped! I'm willing to put in as much work as possible to it!! :smile: So you go over triple science topics at a level, is that right? :smile:

Definitely!!
They restart and they go through it more detailed as well that’s why triple doesn’t have any affect as you’re just learning some extra stuff but in alevels they go through it better and with expertise. So defo pick those alevels and as long as you’re trying hard at alevels then there is no concern :smile:
My friend did combined and she learned everything more thoroughly too!
Reply 9
Thank you so much!! I just hope that it will be enough to apply to Oxford which is the uni I want to go to but I guess only time will tell... Thank you so much for reassuring me :smile:
Thank you so much!! I just hope that it will be enough to apply to Oxford which is the uni I want to go to but I guess only time will tell... Thank you so much for reassuring me :smile:

No worries! :smile:
Plenty of ppl in my class did science alevels without triple and they’re doing really well too even some are doing better than the triple students.
I have 8-8 as off now in Combined Science I'm finishing year 10 soon. I am willing to put in the extra work and learn more I can't swap unfortunately. I know I can do well in the a levels if I work really hard and I will I'm just thinking if it will look bad on my application?

No, it wont look bad in your application, its fine don't worry 8-8 is really good! You will just need to put in more work!

I really recommend that 1 week before you finish Year 11, buy the CGP Head start A level book for biology and chemistry and try to learn some of it when youre free in the 2 months you have!
Buy the used one though, no point buying the new one!

If you get really good in A level so like A A then youre fine, combined is not going to be a problem at all
Reply 12
Original post by og-icon
No, it wont look bad in your application, its fine don't worry 8-8 is really good! You will just need to put in more work!

I really recommend that 1 week before you finish Year 11, buy the CGP Head start A level book for biology and chemistry and try to learn some of it when youre free in the 2 months you have!
Buy the used one though, no point buying the new one!

If you get really good in A level so like A A then youre fine, combined is not going to be a problem at all

Thank you so much! I will definitely do that and I hope next year if exams go ahead as planned that I can't hopefully get 9-9 if possible :smile:) thank you so much though I was really worried that my dreams might've been wrecked for not choosing something at GCSE 😅
Thank you so much! I will definitely do that and I hope next year if exams go ahead as planned that I can't hopefully get 9-9 if possible :smile:) thank you so much though I was really worried that my dreams might've been wrecked for not choosing something at GCSE 😅

Oh no problem! I just recommended triple science at the start as it was the most beneficial but again combined is fine :smile:

don’t worry there’s literally not a significant difference :smile: i did combined and have been completely fine through a levels in biology and chemistry. the topics that only triple do they don’t do in much depth compared to the depth you cover it in at a level so you’re pretty much learning everything from basics again. you’ll be great :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by emmacharl
don’t worry there’s literally not a significant difference :smile: i did combined and have been completely fine through a levels in biology and chemistry. the topics that only triple do they don’t do in much depth compared to the depth you cover it in at a level so you’re pretty much learning everything from basics again. you’ll be great :smile:

Thank you! What's re you thinking of doing after a levels with your degrees?

i say do triple if you enjoy science and find it interesting, in my opinion the amount of content you learn isnt that much more just take it if youre good at science and you’re planning on doing it for a levels

Thank you! What's re you thinking of doing after a levels with your degrees?

I have offers for biomedical sciences 4 year masters degrees at three unis, cancer biomedicine at one, then a biology major at one school in the US and waiting on a few more decisions in April where I’ll also major in biology. Hoping to go into cancer research after so will probably do a masters and/or PhD in cancer biology :smile:
Reply 18

No way you're doing fantastic, if you're working hard you've got nothing to worry about and getting 8-8 is great on your application!

Quick Reply

Latest