Why are those leading the country so incompetent?

Watch
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It baffles me how there's so much competition for things like university places and jobs meaning that only the very best get selected, but when it comes to government you end up with gavin, patel and hancock. How does that even happen?

Forget the political party, literally anyone could do a better job.
KamilleMarie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Money is power
username5252758
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can go worse than your examples: a man as limited as Chris Grayling should have have been given a position of responsibly. Yet he was repeatedly rewarded for his costly failures with further ministerial roles.

There are two reasons for this. Firstly, the Conservative Party prefer background and connections over ability or merit. It allows talentless individuals to rise high. Secondly, British people are disproportionately conservative. Far too many people still show deference towards those they perceive to belong to a higher social class. Their faith in the conservative establishment to guide them through life means they are reluctant to criticise the government. You can see this by looking at the willingness to make excuses for running a budget deficit for eleven years while squandering billions that they don't have. If Labour had that woeful track record, people would be up in arms.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hancock's done OK really.

On a wider point of why don't we get the best people into politics, generally - well, it's hardly complicated. The pay is, comparative to significant jobs in the private sector, crap. In addition, you get endless grief from the press who feel quite happy to intrude into every aspect of your private life. Despite your skills, you're generally expected to tour round village halls and speak to every lunatic in your constituency who wants to moan about something and doesn't know how to communicate with people. Come election time, you'll be expected to be an unpaid leaflet distributer, door-knocker and cold-caller - probably getting abuse off the people you've worked on behalf of for five years.

Above all this, you get **** for going on holiday. You get **** for taking the weekend off. Your working days can be extremely long and you'll often have to live between two places. And there's no boardroom quite as mad as the House of Commons.

It's not exactly an attractive proposition.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Calibrated.)
You can go worse than your examples: a man as limited as Chris Grayling should have have been given a position of responsibly. Yet he was repeatedly rewarded for his costly failures with further ministerial roles.

There are two reasons for this. Firstly, the Conservative Party prefer background and connections over ability or merit. It allows talentless individuals to rise high. Secondly, British people are disproportionately conservative. Far too many people still show deference towards those they perceive to belong to a higher social class. Their faith in the conservative establishment to guide them through life means they are reluctant to criticise the government. You can see this by looking at the willingness to make excuses for running a budget deficit for eleven years while squandering billions that they don't have. If Labour had that woeful track record, people would be up in arms.
Chris Grayling may have made a **** minister, but he's hardly Little Lord Fauntleroy. He was a fairly run of the mill grammar school boy from Buckinghamshire.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with a lot of what Lib said.

That said I disagree with OP who seems to think the rest of the country private/ public sector is doing any better. Blair took the country down the s****er years ago.

In fact as useless as BoJo and the rest of them are this is the best government of my lifetime- far better than the MayBot, Dodgy Dave and New Labour.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Incede)
It baffles me how there's so much competition for things like university places and jobs meaning that only the very best get selected, but when it comes to government you end up with gavin, patel and hancock. How does that even happen?

Forget the political party, literally anyone could do a better job.
It is normal for Governments to run out of talent. Governments come into office with the brightest and the best. Over time Ministers get sacked for some peccadillo or fall out with the PM or get sick and tired of it all. Over time the quality drops, but because failing Ministers remain on the backbenchs that stops new talent coming through.

Normally failing Governments are replaced by a better quality opposition. A lot of MPs are culled when a party loses but as the party starts growing again, it grows with new blood. That happened in 1945, 1951,1964, 1979, 1997 and 2010. The problem was that Corbyn disrupted the rebirth of Labour. Rather than improve, the Labour front bench of 2019 was much weaker than in 2015.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Theres a fun saying about this, alas ive forgotten the exact phrasing, suffice it to say it related to their being an inverse correlation to the stupidest rising the farthest. The peter principle if memory serves.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Leave Priti alone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (160)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (479)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (368)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (459)
14.01%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (154)
4.7%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (199)
6.07%
Loneliness (280)
8.54%
Financial worries (114)
3.48%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (150)
4.58%
Lack of real life entertainment (180)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (295)
9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (307)
9.37%

Watched Threads