The Student Room Group

not good enough for masters but want to continue study

Im coming to an end of my maths degree now and I love maths but i do find it hard some of the time. I am not confident i would do well in a maths masters course but i do kind of want to continue study. I was looking into a financial mathematics course at kings but the fees were 30k...does anyone have any advice for someone who thinks they wouldn't success in a masters but wants to continue study?

also, is there any point getting a masters in a mathmatical area if i dont plan on going into research after my masters? like i see myself in finance or project management when i finish my masters?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tigers12
Im coming to an end of my maths degree now and I love maths but i do find it hard some of the time. I am not confident i would do well in a maths masters course but i do kind of want to continue study. I was looking into a financial mathematics course at kings but the fees were 30k...does anyone have any advice for someone who thinks they wouldn't success in a masters but wants to continue study?

also, is there any point getting a masters in a mathmatical area if i dont plan on going into research after my masters? like i see myself in finance or project management when i finish my masters?

I can't comment on the master's in maths, but for most jobs in the financial sector, you don't need a master's at all. It's probably more productive to do the appropriate professional qualification for the job you specifically want.

If you want to do financial mathematics to become an actuary, I think it will make more sense to do the professional qualification with Institute and Faculty of Actuaries. If you want to become a quant, it would probably make more sense to do the CFQ. Both of which cost less than some masters'.

Master's tend to be good for research based roles, like you have mentioned. If you don't intend to go into research, master's tend not to be that relevant. An MBA might be one of the exceptions, but it's usually not a good idea to jump straight in without doing proper research on the role or job first.

My question to you is why do you specifically want to do a master's?
Master's are very expensive commitments, perhaps a few years work experience first? That way you might find a specific area to focus on when choosing Master's courses.

Are there any short courses that might fulfil your need?

Not sure why you feel you won't succeed at Master's level. I loved my Master's far more than my Undergrad as it was focusing on a sole interest of mine. Different vibes too - you've got your degree by that point and so do the people around you. Takes the pressure off a little and gives you time to really explore the subject and course.

No experience with maths - but I had a friend that studied it to Master's level for no other reason than because she wanted to. She then earned some part-time work as she completed an accounting qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending